Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going up and staying up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts

Going up and staying up

with the promotion race coming to conclusion who has they sustainability to stay up,now that three teams are coming down would all three teams need to change their players and which club can afford to inject most into staing up.
    my own opinion is that dundalk ..anybody else
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Can't see any of the promoted teams this year staying up next season. Very early to say but I reckon it will be them and Galway going down next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I think we'll be closer to the top half than the relegation battle next season.

Bray will surely struggle next season and if UCD lose their better players they will find it tough too. I'd say the playoff winners will be favourites for the drop.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Remains to be seen, picture will be clearer during/after the off-season.

Bray have a good squad, can't understand why they aren't doing better. Everyone says that about us every year but we only ever lose 1 or 2 and rarely struggle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    It may be off topic but I really don't see why we have to go back to the failed 10 team format. The bottom teams this year have been strong. The gap in quality is nowhere near big enough to merit a format change IMO.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if harps go up, i think they'll come straight back down. don't know if they have the finances for the premier. all the promoted sides would need to considerably add to their squads for next season. just look at shams this season, and ourselves aswell from getting promoted in 2005. the last two first division winners are now doing well in the premier, no where near relegation. galway won't go down either so again after coming from the first division they've done well to avoid relegation.
    it'll be hard to tell who'll go down until the first few games of next season once we see what the teams are like

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    It may be off topic but I really don't see why we have to go back to the failed 10 team format.
    Cos Genesis told us to. That's a fairly good summary of their argument too.

Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    if UCD lose their better players they will find it tough too.
    A tired cliché at this stage surely!

We're comfortable this season even with one of the biggest injury lists I've seen in a long time - seven first teamers missing in the Cup win in Derry, for example. A couple will leave, but they'll be replaced. Ian Bermingham, our left back, is strongly linked with Stockport for example, but we've Killian Gallagher in reserve who'll do grand. If Derry take Ronan Finn and Conor Sammon (as is rumoured in true not hugely reliable "A source told me..." style), we've Brian King and Timmy Purcell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feo123 View Post
    if harps go up, i think they'll come straight back down. don't know if they have the finances for the premier. all the promoted sides would need to considerably add to their squads for next season. just look at shams this season, and ourselves aswell from getting promoted in 2005. the last two first division winners are now doing well in the premier, no where near relegation. galway won't go down either so again after coming from the first division they've done well to avoid relegation.
    it'll be hard to tell who'll go down until the first few games of next season once we see what the teams are like

Any reason you singled out Harps?
    It will be tough to stay up but I think it will be a real dog fight and there will be a good few teams involved. But hows about we have this debate nearer the start of next season?
    One more point, does anyone else see a few clubs over-spending in order to stay up? Say for instance, Bray go out and spend a fortune on players and get relegated or Waterford/Harps/Cobh/Galway for that matter, it could be a financial disaster for the team(s) involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    It will be tough to stay up but I think it will be a real dog fight and there will be a good few teams involved. But hows about we have this debate nearer the start of next season?
    One more point, does anyone else see a few clubs over-spending in order to stay up? Say for instance, Bray go out and spend a fortune on players and get relegated or Waterford/Harps/Cobh/Galway for that matter, it could be a financial disaster for the team(s) involved.
    in all fairness ramblers havent really spent big we have a small squad full of good players i think its more signing the best rather then gettin alot of average players.
    " YOU NEVER WIN ANYTHING WIT KIDS "

STEP FORWARD COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIVISION CHAMPS 2007

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    not really, just think out of the 3 their the least financially secure? correct me if im wrong, tbh im just guessing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Galway united wont be struggling financially, with the board already stating that they will be annoucing a small profit for this year.

I also agree with Feo. I think harps (if they come up) will struggle as they must concentrate most of their cash going towards there new stadium rather than putting it into the players wages. Failure to do this could put back the construction time massively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Next year will be the mother of all struggles. If you imagine that next year's relegation structure was in place this year then everyone up to UCD (8th) would be in serious danger and Derry (7th) would be in mild danger. I think UCD will be involved in the battle to stay up due the the large amount of relegation places. Clubs like Galway and Bray could push on to being midtable or low European placed teams next year or they could be in the mix of the relegation battle, it's way too early to say but I would say by this time next year 5 to 6 clubs will be fighting for their lives.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I also agree with Feo. I think harps (if they come up) will struggle as they must concentrate most of their cash going towards there new stadium rather than putting it into the players wages. Failure to do this could put back the construction time massively.
    The cost of constructing the stadium will not be coming out of Harps' day to day cash. The money for the stadium is coming from the sale of Finn Park plus already agreed Government and FAI funding. In effect, Finn Harps will not have to raise any cash outside of this to fund the construction of the stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    The cost of constructing the stadium will not be coming out of Harps' day to day cash. The money for the stadium is coming from the sale of Finn Park plus already agreed Government and FAI funding. In effect, Finn Harps will not have to raise any cash outside of this to fund the construction of the stadium.
    Plus we have the ability to draw big crowds week in week out. Im sure IF we are promoted, Higsy will have us well prepared and won't have us there to make up the nuimbers

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    At the minute, it looks like Longford are going to be relegated this season and Waterford will be in the play-offs.

There is no doubt that this season's First Division winners (Harps/Dundalk/Cobh) and the winners of the play-off will be in a relegation battle (Waterford/Dundalk/Cobh/Harps) next season. With one-third of the clubs in the Premier next season being relegated, you probably have to say that Galway, UCD and Bray will also be in the relegation battle. Apart from the top four or five clubs in the Premier this season, with so many relegation places next season there is going to be a lot of clubs battling for survival.

One thing is for sure, at least two of this season's Premier Division clubs won't be a Premier Division club at the end of next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    At the minute, it looks like Longford are going to be relegated this season and Waterford will be in the play-offs.

There is no doubt that this season's First Division winners (Harps/Dundalk/Cobh) and the winners of the play-off will be in a relegation battle (Waterford/Dundalk/Cobh/Harps) next season. With one-third of the clubs in the Premier next season being relegated, you probably have to say that Galway, UCD and Bray will also be in the relegation battle. Apart from the top four or five clubs in the Premier this season, with so many relegation places next season there is going to be a lot of clubs battling for survival.

One thing is for sure, at least two of this season's Premier Division clubs won't be a Premier Division club at the end of next season.
    Don't know why you're so sure of that.
    Traditonally the premier Divison team wins the playoff.I think what happens in the 1st Divison is you get a false sense of how good you actually are(that includes myself with UTD last year).
    The gap between both Leagues is huge,and the ratioanale when you're Top of one League is that you're more than likely better than the teams in the Lower half of another.
    UTD/Bray/Waterford/UCD will be in the playoff this year and i'd fancy all 4 of them teams against wither of the 3 1st Divison teams in the playoff.

As for next year-Huge year for all clubs.If Tc manages to keep us up he won't be given long to prove we won't be down in the bottom 4 next year.
    I'd expect the 2 promoted teams and the one of the usual suspects(Bray,Waterford,UCD,UTD,Sligo)to struggle.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H View Post
    Don't know why you're so sure of that.
    So sure of what?

If it's the point about two Premier teams being ex-Premier teams this time next year, then the fact that the league is being reduced by two teams proves it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H View Post
    I'd expect the 2 promoted teams and the one of the usual suspects(Bray,Waterford,UCD,UTD,Sligo)to struggle.
    Sorry but Sligo are too good to end up in the bottom four or five next year. And this is from a neutral.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Depends on what happens there. They seem to be a club always on the edge of turmoil. Talk in the Sligo forum about Paul Cook leaving at the end of the season, so if there's to be another rebuilding process, then they could have a slow start which will leave them fighting relegation for much of the season, with the increase in the number of teams going down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I mis-read his post.I thought he said 2 premier teams been relegated this year.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast