Does such a thing exist??

And if so how could I get my hands on it

gspain, I'm looking in your direction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Thumbs up

RTE archives would have it. You might be able to get a copy of it there. Great day...Dalymount, p1ssing down, Tony Ward with all his tricks... Brendan Storan's headed goal...huge crowd...our bus getting stoned in Phibsboro (and not the nice kind of stoned either)...I was only 14, but remember it like it was yesterday!! What a team we had back then.

Great memories...should be a Carlsberg ad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Cheers Joe

Many Limerick fans at it while you're reminiscing??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Thousands...literally. Dalymount was pretty full and those days had a capacity of around 22,000. I'd say there must have been 6-7000 Limerick fans there. A young Paul Doolin played for Bohs that day. It all sadly started to go pear shaped the following season when a legal battle was mounted over ownership of the club...something that would ultimately destroy senior soccer in the city.

I'd say we would average 6 or seven thousand to home games them. The buzz walking up Mulgrave street at two o'clock every other Sunday was just unreal. For the visits of Waterford, Rovers and Sligo for some reason, the place was always packed to the rafters. Mind you, protecting yourself getting back into town safely after those three were in town was a job in itself.

The supporters club was boomimg then and a couple of buses were packed for most away games. Trips to the away legs of European ties were also done. I went to the away ties in The Bernabeu and The Dell...very contrasting trips, but as a spotty adolescent too young to know what alcohol or women were for, I didn't care. Players like Dessie Kennedy and Tony Meaney did for us what Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney do for young lads today.

It was great to be a part of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    It was great to be a part of.
    Oh Boo!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Didn't mean to sound patronising but it really was a great time to be a Limerick supporter. Gary will agree with me I'm sure. It had the feel of professionalism about it, but you knew on a Monday Dessie Kennedy would be fixing cars etc after playing against Real Madrid...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    What do you make of the EL as a sustainable league at the moment then Joe? Just ask because a few of the lads from my neighbourhood back in Limerick think the current incarnation is a pale substitute for the glory days (not just Limericks, but the league in relation to attendence). They pretty much feel that the league itself, as well as Limerick, is a lame duck these days and will never get crowds coming anywhere close to what they used to be again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They were great days Joe. Pints in the Black Battery before the match and a game of 45. Then over to watch the game, head into town afterwards, calling on Jerry O'Deas, The Tanyard Inn, Dick Keanes, The Winning Post, and Rashers Kirbys on the way...and you still wouldn't have reached William St by then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    What do you make of the EL as a sustainable league at the moment then Joe? Just ask because a few of the lads from my neighbourhood back in Limerick think the current incarnation is a pale substitute for the glory days (not just Limericks, but the league in relation to attendence). They pretty much feel that the league itself, as well as Limerick, is a lame duck these days and will never get crowds coming anywhere close to what they used to be again
    In my opinion, the league fell away in the late 80's/early 90's and was allowed to do so by bad management by non-qualified people who were self serving. The FAI didn't give a rats about the league and when people like Johnny Giles and Ray Treacy tried to make Shamrock Rovers a fully professional outfit capable of competing in Europe, they were laughed at. I still think if people listened to Giles and Treacy back then rather than sneer at them we would all be in a better place today.

Regarding Limerick; the closure of the Markets Field had a detrimental effect alright, but not as detrimental as people think. In-fighting between Pat Grace, Mick Webb, Peter Campbell and others to gain control of the club over the years left a sour taste in everybodys mouth. Lets not forget that attendances were regularly at the 4,000 mark during the early days in Rathbane and it was only the burning down and subsequent non-replacement of the clubhouse that signalled the beginning of the end for Limerick soccer as we knew it.

I think the league was a lame duck for about 15 years. It isn't any more thanks to people like Pat Dolan, Ollie Byrne and a few others who have always tried to promote the game and sell it to local people, as opposed to the Kilcoynes and Graces and Drew's of this world who had no passion for the game, but only for money.

Limerick 37 is at a very interesting crossroads now I believe. Like it or lump it, on the field success is the key to commercial success off it. Limerick people are sports mad and will support any sport in their city...but are also very fickle in so far as they really back winning teams. Thats a fact thats not going to change. If Limerick get promoted, you wil see crowds of 3000 plus at games versus Shamrock Rovers, Cork City, Derry City and Bohemians in Jackman Park. Play them at home each twice a season and you're taking in €150,000 in gate receipts alone. But promotion is the key, and sadly I don't see that happening under the current regime. Commercially too, the club are going to have to bite the bullet, and pay (properly) a ful time commercial / marketing whizz who is local, and understands the score. The FAI should subsidise this, and a plan for assistance should be drawn up and put to them.

Senior soccer in Limerick will never die, but unless something is done soon we're going to miss the boat again and it will continue to simmer in Division 1.
    Last edited by joeSoap; 26/09/2007 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Excellent post Joe. Im obviously too young to remember the "glory days" but I have heard so many stories about them. Many people in Limerick will show their support for soccer in Limerick but because of the last 5-10 years, they see it as a joke and they cannot take it seriously. We need (at Limerick37) someone who works full-time at promoting the club in the city and county. Small things help people stand up and take notice of Limerick37 and become involved as a supporter. Having read through these posts about the past, it is know easy to understand why some people on here are always complaining about the current regime. They must seem like a joke compared to your "heros" of the 80s etc.. I am just happy because I compare it to the last 10 years. There is great potential out there as Soccer in Limerick is greatly popular. Just look at the amount of Schoolboy and Junior clubs we have. If we continue to do things right and get local players with passion, then the commercial side of the club will control itself.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Didn't mean to sound patronising but it really was a great time to be a Limerick supporter.
    Wasn't being pi$$y joe, it's just I'm following Limerick 14 years so you can imagine how my glory days compare

Lets not forget that attendances were regularly at the 4,000 mark during the early days in Rathbane
    Well said and a point that the Markets Field whingers constantly overlook.

People will go to watch Limerick if they are doing well, regardless of where (aslong as it's on the southside )

Like it or lump it, on the field success is the key to commercial success off it.
    Spot on. Which is why this shop idea baffles me

Senior soccer in Limerick will never die, but unless something is done soon we're going to miss the boat again and it will continue to simmer in Division 1.
    Boat has been missed already I fear. For another two years minimum anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinBallWizard View Post
    They were great days Joe. Pints in the Black Battery before the match and a game of 45. Then over to watch the game, head into town afterwards, calling on Jerry O'Deas, The Tanyard Inn, Dick Keanes, The Winning Post, and Rashers Kirbys on the way...and you still wouldn't have reached William St by then.
    For the younger folk:

Jerry O'Deas is still Jerry O'Deas.

The Tanyard Inn became Miss Tuckers Brewery and now is an apartment/shopping complex beside Gleesons Sport Scene.

Dick Keanes is now a hell hole called TC's, owned by a Limerick legend, Tony Morris.

The Winning Post became Jack Rea's then Torlogh's and now is called Tom's Bar.

Rasher Kirbys on Gerald Griffin St, was Eddie Bensons, and now is simply known as Rashers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    For the younger folk:

Jerry O'Deas is still Jerry O'Deas.

The Tanyard Inn became Miss Tuckers Brewery and now is an apartment/shopping complex beside Gleesons Sport Scene.

Dick Keanes is now a hell hole called TC's, owned by a Limerick legend, Tony Morris.

The Winning Post became Jack Rea's then Torlogh's and now is called Tom's Bar.

Rasher Kirbys on Gerald Griffin St, was Eddie Bensons, and now is simply known as Rashers.
    This all gives me an idea

Someone suggest a suitable route to and from the Jacks from the centre of town

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Austin's, Charlie st George's, Rashers....

3 Good Safe pubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Mojo's start out...then onto

Old Quarter, then onto

Nancys, then onto,

Flannerys, then onto,

Patsy Flannerys, (Wickham St), then onto,

Charlie St Georges,
    then over to

The Jacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Personally I'd do

Mojos
    on to
    Still House
    on to
    Patsy Flannerys
    on to
    Baker Place
    on to
    The Jacks

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    mojos????
    its no wonder ye are always singing in the stand ye must be langered by the time the match kicks off going through all those pubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by see's it View Post
    mojos????
    Club sponsor...must be included in all pubcrawls involving matches.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i agree....where is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Patrick St

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast