Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time For Magee+finnin To Go

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    If they were that good we'd be promoted long ago. Jimmy Fyffe and Derek McCarthy have failed miserably when they moved to other clubs, that tells you something. Paul Finucane is usually sound but this season he seems to be off form. It's a good job it's Paddy Purcell and not Anthony Wolfe that he's playing longside, otherwise we'd be a lot further down the table. Wayne Colbert has done absolutely nothing to justify the hype, maybe he's being played out of position, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I hope he proves me wrong. Tommy Barrett is a decent player, but he has no football. He's limited and I never expected him to improve us greatly simply because he is not that good technically. I've been watching this group of players now since the first Noel O'Connor stint in charge. They are not good enough to get promoted, even with John Gill in charge. They've gone a bit stale and things need to be freshened up a bit. Just my opinion.....
    Fyffe's spell with Waterford was short but hardly a failure. He picked up a number of man of the match awards in his early games and was well regarded there. Similarly with Bray. It's not uncommon for part time footballers to struggle once they move away from home. Whatever about any of the others I honestly believe that a fit, focused (and of those words are key) Jimmy Fyffe is the best goalkeeper in this division.

Similarly Barrett did a solid job for a side performing well in the Premier division now, to suggest that he's not good enough to get a side out of this division is way off.

If you are correct though and all these players are just flotsam in this division who's culpable? Surely the manager? Especially for the players that he added in the window? The baffling loyalty to Anthony Hayes (and Dave Ryan to a lesser extent), the butcher-esque treatment of Moloney. Paul McGee has not overachieved by any stretch this season. 4th wouldn't be a bad finish first time out but let's not get carried away. Your comments about Fyffe certainly apply to McGee, 'there's better out there'.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    Ok Im guessing you werent at the quiz night where plans were produced for Jackman Park plus an explanation for its delay. And starting threads like that and surrounding the club with a negative vibe is only going to make our situation worse as people wont bother coming to matches if there is a negative image of the club in the city. Time for Dazzler to go IMO!!
    were they the same plans as the start of the year?:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    now magee has to go the season is finished changes has to be made

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the dazzler View Post
    were they the same plans as the start of the year?:

no there not

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Smile

full of sh*t dazzler, we are still waiting for you to mention just 1 sponsor that has pulled out, come on either get off the pot or Sh*t .... on some other thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heard Mike Kerley is absolutely dying to get back into EL management, as is Alan Reynolds. I'll lay odds with anyone that one of them will be in charge at the start of next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinBallWizard View Post
    Heard Mike Kerley is absolutely dying to get back into EL management, as is Alan Reynolds. I'll lay odds with anyone that one of them will be in charge at the start of next season.
    I'm a big fan of Kerley's but if the option came up to get Reynolds on board I'd take him over Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    and Tommy Gaynor and Ski McGee and me and u the list is endless as to who wants to manage in LOI these days as if you have an "A" licence coaching badge you can write your own cheques. Im all for mike but not his assistant, too expensive and crap.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    and Tommy Gaynor and Ski McGee and me and u the list is endless as to who wants to manage in LOI these days as if you have an "A" licence coaching badge you can write your own cheques. Im all for mike but not his assistant, too expensive and crap.
    are we talking about the same m.kerley whose el record reads 4 wins out of 44 games........btw who is his assistant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Trevor Lavelle I presume??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairkop View Post
    are we talking about the same m.kerley whose el record reads 4 wins out of 44 games........btw who is his assistant.
    I think we're talking about the one who got us to the playoffs and lost to Derry on a shoestring budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I think we're talking about the one who got us to the playoffs and lost to Derry on a shoestring budget
    Yeah, but that one inherited a cracking squad from the butcher and wasn't on the shoestring budget until the following season, when his true abilities came to the fore....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Yeah, but that one inherited a cracking squad from the butcher and wasn't on the shoestring budget until the following season, when his true abilities came to the fore....
    This old discussion again. Do you think the Butcher could have brought the team to the playoffs that year, particularly playing on the ground football? I don't, I reckon we would have ended up in mid table again with NOC in charge. And true abilities? So you won't give Kerley credit for managing a team that reached the playoffs? Even if he did have a cracking squad he still had to guide them there ffs, and thats not even mentioning that Arsene Wenger himself wouldn't have been able to do any better with Limerick the following year. I remember a time when a few of us were only half joking to one of the then chairmen that we might have to sign registration forms so Limerick would at least have some subs. The time Kerley was given to assemble a squad, and the money he was given to assemble it with completely negates that season in my book

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    This old discussion again. Do you think the Butcher could have brought the team to the playoffs that year, particularly playing on the ground football? I don't, I reckon we would have ended up in mid table again with NOC in charge. And true abilities? So you won't give Kerley credit for managing a team that reached the playoffs? Even if he did have a cracking squad he still had to guide them there ffs, and thats not even mentioning that Arsene Wenger himself wouldn't have been able to do any better with Limerick the following year. I remember a time when a few of us were only half joking to one of the then chairmen that we might have to sign registration forms so Limerick would at least have some subs. The time Kerley was given to assemble a squad, and the money he was given to assemble it with completely negates that season in my book
    in fairness he did manage that team to the playoffs...ground football..not so sure about that,as for the following season mikes preseason inactivity left lot to be desired,...mind you he did make sure his own contract was secured with a nice sum despite the lack of money which is one of the reasons you ...nearly made the professional grade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Ah, come on now.
    That year we finished bottom: the bulk of the team from the previous season were gone, because having got to the play-offs other clubs with money to pay wages snapped them up with tempting deals (at least, more tempting than what was on offer at LFC). The squad was so small that Kerley himself played quite a lot of football that season (in defence). Also, you had keepers playing outfield, defenders playing in midfield, strikers playing in midfield, etc. These were necessities just to make up a full team!
    The fact that the squad consisted of only 15 or whatever players is hardly the fault of the manager. The money simply wasn't there.

I would have liked Drew to have kept him on. But Drew had bigger ideas!?!?
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redron View Post
    Ah, come on now.
    That year we finished bottom: the bulk of the team from the previous season were gone, because having got to the play-offs other clubs with money to pay wages snapped them up with tempting deals (at least, more tempting than what was on offer at LFC). The squad was so small that Kerley himself played quite a lot of football that season (in defence). Also, you had keepers playing outfield, defenders playing in midfield, strikers playing in midfield, etc. These were necessities just to make up a full team!
    The fact that the squad consisted of only 15 or whatever players is hardly the fault of the manager. The money simply wasn't there.
    spot on Ron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So, all it takes to be a manager is money then, is it? Christ ye have a very perverted view of football management. The man was a failure with a super squad (unless of course you clowns consider getting to a play off final and losing it badly to be a success) and then an even bigger failure in everything he did the next season bar making sure his own wages were paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The problem that season was most of the players that were available to him were not of League of Ireland standard. A manager cannot turn a mediocre player into a good player. A manager can play a supportive role in helping a player achieve his full potential, but development of a player's skills has more to do with the talent and dedication of the player himself. This is particularly the case with amateur/part-time players.
    The reality is, that squad's potential was very limited. In one-on-one situations, so many of those players were simply outclassed by their opponents.

So, a manager can only manage the players that are at his disposal.
    And this applies to McGee too. (Although this is not an excuse for Ski: he has made numerous decisions that I disagree with.)

While there have been a few (very few) who have had consistent criticisms of McGee's tactics and vision, for the most part, while the results were going our way, most people were very quick to heap praise on the manager. In my opinion, we had quite a lot of luck on our side in the first half of the season (draws from games we might have lost, wins from games where we deserved no more than a draw), but our luck seems to have run out now. Despite this, it is still possible for us to make the play-offs, and we're still in the Cup.
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you may not have to wait long to see this happen, if Limerick are beaten by Longford in the cup Ski will be heading to Athlone, an Athlone Town player told me that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superhero View Post
    you may not have to wait long to see this happen, if Limerick are beaten by Longford in the cup
    im guessing here but could it be the weekend of the 22nd?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast