Page 35 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    i see wigan being relegation fodder this year though, or there or there abouts,sold a lot of their better players the last year or so, even if martinez has done well in the past
    Defo agreed here... No Palacios, Valencia, Heskey, and most likely Scharner and Cattermole. I have them as a cert to go down.

I'm gonna put a score on all the promoted clubs staying up this year actually.

The fee is agreed so I think we'll find a couple more clubs sniffing now that that particular variable is set... I'd be disapointed if he goes to Wigan. I understand people being impressed by Martinez commitment to good football, but we've seen many lower profile teams perish on that particular rock. Consolidation should come first, the frills later.... I don't think McCarthy needs another relegation battle..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    The sun says he has turned down Wolves and will have medical at Wigan tomorrow.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...k-26m-Mac.html
    It's weird the Daily Record says he had a medical with Wolves: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-21526074/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Football365 reckons 4 Premier League teams and Celtic are all in the hunt at this stage.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It's weird the Daily Record says he had a medical with Wolves: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-21526074/
    The Scottish Herald would be a lot more trustworthy than the sun and record. They say Hamilton are expecting bids from 2 more clubs. Apparantly Celtic have always had an agreement that they could match the price of the highest bidder so I wouldn't rule Celtic out yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    According to football365, Burnley and Portsmouth are the two other Premiership sides interested in McCarthy
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Hypothetically which is better from the point of him developing in your opinions, going to Celtic or to Wigan, Ports, Burnley or Wolves?
    If you could have it your way were do you put him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm very biased but I genuinely believe Celtic would be best for him. Certainly at 18. With Celtic they'll dominate most games so he'll get plenty of the ball which can only be good for him. Mowbray will have the team playing an attractive passing game. And Celtic will most likely be playing in the Europa cup this season which would be a good experience for him.

If not Celtic then Wigan for a lot of the same reasons. I don't want to see him going to a team that will be defending for most of the game. He has to learn to start dominating when his team have the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Record said a top 8 premiership club are interested in him and the Evening Time say it's Everton. Birmingham also named.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/..._youngster.php

Clubs know the price now and if they all had start bidding early in would have resulted in an auction so we'll probably see a few more bids in for him.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 17/07/2009 at 11:50 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Surprised none of the top teams in the EPL have made any bids for him.
    He sounds like a level headed young lad anyway I'm sure he'll make the right choice.
    The only thing I'll say about going to Celtic is this whole Scotland/Ireland thing and the abuse he might get similiar to McGeady maybe a factor in his decision also Celtic never pay top wages they see it as an honour to play for the club, Stephen Fletcher the Hibs striker Strachan missed out on him cos the board wouldn't give him the extra funds needed.

Hopefully from an Irish perspective once his transfer goes through shirley he'll be capped down in thomond park this summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Mowbray has ruled out a move for McCarthy as he's too expensive.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Just on the wages front. Celtic wont pay the wages a premiership side will because they cant. Clubs in the championship can offer better financial packages than Celtic. You only have to look at the money on the table from the latest Sky/ESPN deal for the SPL to see why Celtic cannot and should not attempt to pay the stupid money.

Hopefully James has good support and advice around him, he appears to have a level head and obviously has the Celtic connection from his youth. This, coupled with some european football (Im with you EB - it looks like the Europa league for us this year!!) a good manager in Mowbray, the pressure that comes with being a Celtic player (media, supporters both home and opposition) would all be great experience for the lad and further grounding in professional football - if in 3 years time he has done well, he will still only be 21 and plenty of time for the next move......

From a biased Celtic fan of course.

Failing that, would Villa and MON not be interested?

EDIT// scrap the above if we cant match the asking price its largley irrelevant!!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    He should join Bohs, he'll get plenty of European football that way

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    But were only talking 2 to 2.5 million for the best young player in Scotland this is a bargain basement transfer when you compare to what's gone on so far this summer.
    Hope Celtic don't rue it, he's Celtic true and true they should have been leading the pack on this one.
    Sad that Mowbray has ruled him out.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I heard he had a medical at Wigan just now :S

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Breaking News: Hamilton Academical's James McCarthy Undergoes Medical At Wigan Athletic - Report

The young Irish international has moved a step closer to joining the Latics it seems...

17 Jul 2009 16:24:49

James McCarthy seems to have made his choice as to which Premier League club he will be moving to this afternoon, as Sky Sports News are reporting that he is undergoing a medical ahead of a possible move to Wigan Athletic.

Wolverhampton Wanderers had also agreed a fee for the Scottish-born Irish international, but it seems that the attractions of working with new Wigan manager Roberto Martinez have outweighed those of joining the significant Irish contingent at Molineux.

Full report to follow...
    From Goal.com so that means its about 25% true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    From Goal.com so that means its about 25% true.
    Sky Sports News.

Goal.com always quote their source. They're only passing on 2nd hand info.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Don't think it's dead and buried. Willie McKay (his agent) is a well-renowned shrewd operator (he was the agent behind Chimbonda's relegation day resignation and Henri Camara's strike). Personally, I think that it is more a case that he is trying to get as many medicals sorted as possible to draw out the process, weaken interested club's buying power, entice prospective bidders and ultimately get the best deal for young James (and himself).

That said, after the Camara strike Wolves did say that they would never deal with him again, so wouldn't be surprised if he did talk McCarthy into joining someone else. However, we have laid the groundwork showing him around and giving him assurance that it is a wonderful area to live in giving that he's a kid moving away from home. However, Micks back from Australia now, so hopefully he'll show him the same level of enthusiasm as he did Doyle and convince him that as one of his tribe he should join us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    Slightly off topic, McKay is also Stephen Ireland's agent, and was rumoured to be one of those agents to be called in for questioning for taking bungs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Apparently Spurs have bid now also. I'll post a link when I can find one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts