Page 62 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Fair enough, none actually made it through but I was referring to the fact that he doesnt sign Irish players as opposed to any comng through the youth system.
    Probably a load of nationalities he hasn't signed players from, has he ever signed a Scottish player? Or from Northern Ireland?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Or a Faroe Islander or Cypriot? Or American? or Iclander?
    Or united federation of micronesian? Surely he mustn't only hate the irish!
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    So far the wisdom of his choice of Wigan over possible bigger clubs has exceeded expectations, already he has made 16? starts in the EPL.
    It wouldn't surprise me to hear that a host of clubs would keep an eye on a prospect like McCarthy. The only thing remarkable about that, is that it makes the news.
    It looks to me that his agent is angling for a renegotiated contract just at a time when Wigan look likely to stay up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to hear that a host of clubs would keep an eye on a prospect like McCarthy. The only thing remarkable about that, is that it makes the news.
    It looks to me that his agent is angling for a renegotiated contract just at a time when Wigan look likely to stay up.
    His agent seems to have very good contacts. For the last 3 years we've been hearing everything from Barcelona and Real being interested to Liverpool wanting him to eventually replace Gerrard.

I'd say Wigan was McCarthy's idea, whereas the agent seems to be angling for another move. Wigan has been perfect for McCarthy, a small enough sized club where he can break through under a manager who likes to play football the right way with limited pressure.
    It's a shame to hear all this transfer talk about him now, there's no rush to get a big move to someone and rotting in the reserves for a few seasons.
    Criticism is prejudice made plausible

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Probably a load of nationalities he hasn't signed players from, has he ever signed a Scottish player? Or from Northern Ireland?
    The two examples I was giving are top premiership players who were available and wouldve improved the Arsenal team at a relatively low cost. I cant recall any recent Scottish or NI players who were available in recent times that you could say operate at the same level as the two in question. In any case my comment was obviously somewhat tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Or a Faroe Islander or Cypriot? Or American? or Iclander?
    Or united federation of micronesian? Surely he mustn't only hate the irish!
    Perhaps, how many of those nationalites operate at the same level as the two in question.......anyways tongue in cheek as i said. Hes french, im allowed dislike him and his transfer policies or lack thereof.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuckaTucka View Post
    His agent seems to have very good contacts. For the last 3 years we've been hearing everything from Barcelona and Real being interested to Liverpool wanting him to eventually replace Gerrard.

I'd say Wigan was McCarthy's idea, whereas the agent seems to be angling for another move. Wigan has been perfect for McCarthy, a small enough sized club where he can break through under a manager who likes to play football the right way with limited pressure.
    It's a shame to hear all this transfer talk about him now, there's no rush to get a big move to someone and rotting in the reserves for a few seasons.
    Wigan was McCarthy's idea, he chose them over Wolves as his old youth coach from Hamilton is on the backroom staff at Wigan. Mick McCarthy was very interested in signing him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Not saying he has a vendetta but in the recent past two players, notably Given and Dunne who are def good enough to play for them and arguably Arsenal needed (and still need imo) were not ignored by Wenger.
    Wenger likes every player, including his centre-halfs, to play football. Dunne is not simply a backs to the wall defender, but he is limited in his distribution.

Shay Given is also quite poor at the distribution end of things. In terms of stopping the ball there are few better, but I think that the top teams really do take into consideration distribution as an asset. I think Arsenal's ideal goalkeeper would be Reina for example -- fantastic distribution from the back.

If I were Wenger I definitely would have signed Given if available, not so sure about Dunne though.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Wenger likes every player, including his centre-halfs, to play football.
    That explains Senderos and the re-signing of Campbell then!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    That explains Senderos and the re-signing of Campbell then!
    Thats thrown a spanner in some theory or other allright (especially Senderos)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Anybody watch the game against Arsenal? How did our boy do in midfield?
    I only saw the highlights, the build up for one of Wigan's goals where he got his pass through a swarm of defenders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    He was playing a very defensive role. He made a very good tackle to stop a dangerous looking attack.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    He was playing a very defensive role. He made a very good tackle to stop a dangerous looking attack.
    That's about all he did.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev mcq View Post
    That's about all he did.
    Seen the highlights did you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Seen the highlights did you?
    Yes I did, and I also watched the match live...is that ok with you?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Yes I did, and I also watched the match live...is that ok with you?
    That's about all he did.
    Well then this comment is hugely unnecessary. Not only is it disparaging and negative, its hugely unproductive.
    It'd be acceptable if you gave a summary of what he didn't do that was to your disappointment, but all you did was give a quick quip.

That's about all you did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Well then this comment is hugely unnecessary. Not only is it disparaging and negative, its hugely unproductive.
    It'd be acceptable if you gave a summary of what he didn't do that was to your disappointment, but all you did was give a quick quip.

That's about all you did.
    Ok then, he gave the ball away almost every time he had it, and only seemed to find a team-mate when he passed it backwards. Did nothing going forward. Just because he's young and Irish doesn't mean everyone has to have a hard-on about him all the time FFS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Ok then, he gave the ball away almost every time he had it, and only seemed to find a team-mate when he passed it backwards. Did nothing going forward. Just because he's young and Irish doesn't mean everyone has to have a hard-on about him all the time FFS.
    That's just plain wrong
    From the guardian's match chalkboard

looks like the majority of passes made in his own half were passed back or sideways, and in the opposition half his passes went forward

only two intercepted passes in his own half, both of which were going forward, i.e. playing positively
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/04/2010 at 1:20 PM. Reason: image not appearing
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Thats fair enough, at least now your articulating your opinions.
    From my perspective McCarthy played to the managers directives. Watson was playing tip of the diamond and McCarthy was largely protecting the back four. I can only remember one particular pass that he played out to the left back who had cut inside and the ball ran out of play.

Its a sign of his progression that a 6 out 10 display against Arsenal is a sign of his demise to some people at the tender age of 19. Yapsteritis.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Thats fair enough, at least now your articulating your opinions.
    From my perspective McCarthy played to the managers directives. Watson was playing tip of the diamond and McCarthy was largely protecting the back four. I can only remember one particular pass that he played out to the left back who had cut inside and the ball ran out of play.

Its a sign of his progression that a 6 out 10 display against Arsenal is a sign of his demise to some people at the tender age of 19. Yapsteritis.....
    I'm not trying to be controversial or trollish (yapsteritis), but in my opinion he didn't have a great game. I think he looks like a great prospect and looks comfortable playing in the Premier League, which is very encouraging, but he has a bit to go yet.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I watched about 75 mins of the game. I thought McCarthy did ok nothing exceptional but nothing major to fault either, gave the ball away a few times needlessly but seemed to be the only player in Wigans MF with the exception of N'Zogbia who was willing to try daring long range passes etc. One thing that particularly impressed me is his composure on the ball, not rushed at all which is arguably in contrast to Gibson at present. Considering the lad is only 19, he is progressing very well. Wigan is the perfect club for him in the sense that he is looked after by the manager and getting plenty of action to aid his development.