Page 179 of 258 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 5154

Thread: James McCarthy M free agent b.1990

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    It would be absolutely criminal for James not to start against Austria. We need to start building our team around this lad, because by the time of the Euro 2016 qualifiers, he could be our most important player. I do accept that he needs to become more vocal in the team, but I've seen him being very vocal for Wigan, so the more games he has with us, the more influential I would expect him to become. Along with Wilson and Clark, we could be looking at a few young lads who could be our future captains.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    We have got more than we deserved here - the injury to Whelan bailing Trap out.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    This was the first game where I felt he actually stood out, which is why we need to dispense with Trap, as he's more likely to include Whelan given half a chance....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Whelan in for Green from what I'm hearing
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Buckle your seat belts before you read this one, Trap all over the map on Fuchs, saying he will punch McCarthy in the face if he doesn't get more assertive, etc....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...=feeds-newsxml
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    I heard the actual press conference and in no way was it threatening. Don't worry about it Crosby.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,373 Posts
    the independent claims he was joking: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29153396.html
    He joked that he would punch midfielder James McCarthy if he didn’t impose himself on the game
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    That cannot be anything other than a joke.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I know some read into Trap's comparison of Paul Green's role to that of Gatusso/Stiles as if he were seriously comparing their levels of ability, but surely people aren't interpreting this as anything other than a tongue-in-cheek remark...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Oh i know it was a joke i just thought his method was kind of weird. i guess he was relishing the attention of the Austrian journos?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Sure how much impact could a pensioner's punch have anyway?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Can anyone explain McCarthy positioning for the second goal?
    Not sure if I have got it right but he seems to have been half way up the pitch leaving our defence, as in the centre of midfield massively exposed.
    So they had an extra man in central midfield (ie right in front of our goal). Initially I though he was in position but having seen it in HD it seems that was Whelan.

If you stop this at 2.46 you can see out back line of coleman o shea sledge wilson, than a next line of 3 of green, whelan and mcclean, then a line of two of mccarthy and walters.

Seems all wrong, what is mccarthy doing up there ahead of walters?
    Look how exposed we are , they have 4 against 3 right in front of goal, Coleman seems to wide, there is a player inside him, but he is concerned about the player out wide, as is whelan, although green is marking him. WHelan has just vacated the goal scorer.
    I am not sure what happened prior to this but there is one minute to go, it's expect use to have plenty of men back and all their player marked but they seem to have bags of space and options.
    When the goal is scored McCarthy is in the position of a striker.
    Don't know how we got so out of shape.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 27/03/2013 at 1:19 AM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Just before this McCarthy had cleared the ball out. At the very start of that passage of play (right after they cut from the Austrian manager), McCarthy's gone forward to chase down the Austrian defender who heads the ball forward, leaving McCarthy in the lurch. He's tried to put pressure on the opposition (like the CM's were doing occasionally tonight) and was caught out of position. He literally cleared the ball a metre or two from where Abala would take his shot, and 5 seconds later he was closer to the centre line chasing down when he should have stayed put.

He tracks back but just stops dead though, even before Abala had let fly. Like Sammon, somewhere back in the centre circle, he's dead on his feet.

Edit: I think you can even see Walters pointing out the gap at 2.46.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 27/03/2013 at 1:36 AM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    They were out numbered in midfield for 25 mins of the 2nd half, it's where Austria got most joy. Keeping 2 up was ridiculous, we were so deep that we couldn't get anywhere near supporting the front 2. Even the front 2 were 60 yards apart. We just needed to shore up the gaps in midfield and see the game out. You couldn't blame either Midfielder for bein outnumbered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bishbash View Post
    They were out numbered in midfield for 25 mins of the 2nd half, it's where Austria got most joy. Keeping 2 up was ridiculous, we were so deep that we couldn't get anywhere near supporting the front 2. Even the front 2 were 60 yards apart. We just needed to shore up the gaps in midfield and see the game out. You couldn't blame either Midfielder for bein outnumbered.
    Even being outnumbered, we were fairly comfortable until we started to panic uncontrollably in the last five minutes or so. With about two minutes to go, McCarthy picked the ball up in the middle of the park in space and, without taking a touch, boomed it straight to the Austrian keeper. Our most proficient player. Seemed to me the panic contagion was catching on at that stage.

Given our lack of experience, a third midfielder was vital to help ease nerves and add composure as much as anything else.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bishbash View Post

Well if we were out numbered that is even less reason to go hareing up the pitch.
    I missed the last few minutes unfortunate, the most important bit of the match.
    Seems with out me watching they lost their head

One thing is bugging me and that is Traps threat to punch McCarthy, I think this may have
    unbalanced him and pushed him out of his comfort zone affecting his decision making.

I really need to get a download of the full match especially the last few mins.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    789 Posts
    The second goal from what I remember started with an aimless punt by McCarthy down the side channel. Ok, can't single him out for that one since it was par for the course except I suppose we expect more from him. But the real question as mentioned earlier was who left the Austrian free in front of goal? The attack came down the left and Green had his man covered. Whelan I think came out to support him. Did Whelan think that McCarthy was minding his back or was it Whelan's fault for being drawn to the ball? Such mistakes decide games at this level.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Even being outnumbered, we were fairly comfortable until we started to panic uncontrollably in the last five minutes or so. With about two minutes to go, McCarthy picked the ball up in the middle of the park in space and, without taking a touch, boomed it straight to the Austrian keeper. Our most proficient player. Seemed to me the panic contagion was catching on at that stage.

Given our lack of experience, a third midfielder was vital to help ease nerves and add composure as much as anything else.
    I miss that bit, but it sounds to me a bit like he lost his head in the last few minutes.
    Could have done with Paul Green in the centre, more experienced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The second goal from what I remember started with an aimless punt by McCarthy down the side channel. Ok, can't single him out for that one since it was par for the course except I suppose we expect more from him. But the real question as mentioned earlier was who left the Austrian free in front of goal? The attack came down the left and Green had his man covered. Whelan I think came out to support him. Did Whelan think that McCarthy was minding his back or was it Whelan's fault for being drawn to the ball? Such mistakes decide games at this level.

Whelan was left in a very tricky position, it is basically 5 Austrians v 4 Irish at the back and Coleman has two advancing towards him
    Whelan can see the danger of this can moves cover it but Green has him cover anyway as it turn out but doing do means he has vacated the scorer
    in a central position.
    But it all stems from McCarthy being half way up the pitch. I mean if we did have 5 v 4 in midfield it's now 5 v 3!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Watching Tricky's video footage was like watching clips of Italia 90 again, keeper gritting teeth, big kick, header on, goal. I loved the German commentary "...mit kick and rush"!