Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Another on same theme

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/...s-for-mccarthy

"sell McCarthy permanently" permanantly confused me as I have never know a non-permanent sale, mind you I am not a solicitor.
    I think they mean just sell him once. not a Bohs sale as it's known in the business.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Might be going to Sunderland - https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...r-lamine-kone/

Not exactly great news.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Defnitely not, he would be better off sticking with the Toffees.

Mind you he would be with O'Shea he migh save him from relegation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Defnitely not, he would be better off sticking with the Toffees.
    Pun intended ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Now interest being shown by Newcastle and Crystal Palace (linked with every Irish player at the moment)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...on-news-gossip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Turned down a loan move to Sunderland apparently.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Turned down a loan move to Sunderland apparently.
    Who could blame him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Transfer bid from Newcastle refused, according to the Sun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This is interesting. According to the Mirror, Koeman convinced McCarthy to stay at Everton and refused to sanction the player's sale as he sees him building a long-term midfield partnership with Schneiderlin: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...plains-9731410

Quote Originally Posted by The Mirror
    Ronald Koeman refused to sanction the £15million sale of James McCarthy, because he sees the midfielder forming the foundation of a trophy-winning team.

Many Everton fans assumed McCarthy would be sold in January – Championship promotion chasers Newcastle were desperate to sign him – after Blues boss Koeman pulled off a £24m coup in landing France international Morgan Schneiderlin from Manchester United.

Yet the Dutchman explained he has now seen the quality the Republic of Ireland international can bring to his team — and that persuaded him to refuse all offers in the window.

“I see him having a long-term future here because I think he is a really good player and those players we need for the future of Everton,” said Koeman.

“We need competition in the midfield and that is what I mentioned to the board of the club. There is no possibility for one of the midfielders to go – yes for Darron Gibson, because there was too much competition for him, but not for James.”

Koeman appeared unimpressed with McCarthy when he first arrived at Goodison, but he explained that was down to the midfielder’s injury problems, which were exacerbated by problems he picked up on international duty.

“My attitude hasn’t changed towards him. My attitude is the same. If what happened with all the injuries and all the call-ups for Ireland I will do the same,” he said.

“Of course he’s really on a good fitness level and that makes James a better player than I saw in the beginning. At the beginning he was not fit, he had his problems with his hamstring. Now I am really pleased with his quality and how he is involved in the team.”

Koeman clearly sees McCarthy forming a long-term partnership with Schneiderlin in the midfield, and that pairing could move a step closer in Wednesday's game at Stoke.

The French midfielder hasn’t started in either of his Everton appearances, but the manager said it is a clear possibility this time.

“It is possible he will start at Stoke because he is training and in good condition. I didn’t change the team after Manchester City because everyone did a great job, but it is possible we change now, because finally you need to choose your next team,” said Koeman.

“It can be tactical, it is about freshness. Now we have competition and everybody is on a good level.

"James McCarthy is on a good level and that makes it very competitive in some positions.”
    What exactly does Koeman mean by the bit I've highlighted in bold? Is he saying he'll frown upon future Ireland call-ups generally or simply that he'd take issue if we attempted to call McCarthy up whilst the player may not be 100 per cent fit?

By saying there was "too much competition" for Darron Gibson, is he saying that Gibson wasn't good enough to compete for his place, whereas he has come to realise or believe that McCarthy, on the other hand, is good enough to compete for a place? Or is he just saying that he had too many players vying for Gibson's position and someone had to go?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    What exactly does Koeman mean by the bit I've highlighted in bold? Is he saying he'll frown upon future Ireland call-ups generally or simply that he'd take issue if we attempted to call McCarthy up whilst the player may not be 100 per cent fit?
    Would have to assume the latter.

By saying there was "too much competition" for Darron Gibson, is he saying that Gibson wasn't good enough to compete for his place, whereas he has come to realise or believe that McCarthy, on the other hand, is good enough to compete for a place? Or is he just saying that he had too many players vying for Gibson's position and someone had to go?
    When I read the piece I didn't even considering your second interpretation actually. It could easily mean that though. Either way, Gibson was ultimately too far down the pecking order, whether that in relation to the midfield positions generally or a specific midfield position I suppose it amounts to the same thing. With Barry, McCarthy, Schneiderlin, Besic, Gueye and the recent emergence of Davies they have serious options in there.

It warms the heart to read him speak so positively about McCarthy though. I think he was seriously impressed with him in the Arsenal match and the first half against Liverpool before he went off injured.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

They are the same thing, aren't they? Either way, compared to the players he kept, he didn't think Gibson was worth keeping.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I took it to mean he would keep him(and still want him), even if he had to go through the same thing again with him.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    They are the same thing, aren't they? Either way, compared to the players he kept, he didn't think Gibson was worth keeping.
    Hmm, I suppose one way or another, it would ultimately have to boil down to an an ability/value/utility judgment. Perhaps Gibson's injury-proneness also influenced Koeman's contentment with seeing the player depart.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    This is interesting. According to the Mirror, Koeman convinced McCarthy to stay at Everton and refused to sanction the player's sale as he sees him building a long-term midfield partnership with Schneiderlin: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...plains-9731410

What exactly does Koeman mean by the bit I've highlighted in bold?
    (Koeman "My attitude hasn’t changed towards him. My attitude is the same. If what happened with all the injuries and all the call-ups for Ireland I will do the same,”.)
    Is he saying he'll frown upon future Ireland call-ups generally or simply that he'd take issue if we attempted to call McCarthy up whilst the player may not be 100 per cent fit?
    It was more the overplaying (in Ronnie's opinion) of a fragile James v Georgia and Moldova inside a few days..
    I'd say the actual call-up is not the issue, it's more that he has no trust in O'Neill not to play James when there are fitness doubts.

And Ronnie does like to drone on and on about it.
    Last edited by geysir; 01/02/2017 at 12:05 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Goal for Jimmie Mac.

If Everton's first goal was incredible, this is incredibly lucky. The build-up from a possessed Romelu Lukaku was excellent down the right, jinking through. After that, it got silly. James McCarthy's shot hit Steven Cook, bounced back, hit McCarthy and went in. You just feel it might not be Bournemouth's day...
    He also got an assist on Lukakus opener.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Good for Jamie, not exactly Gerrardesque though
    http://streamable.com/4udfm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Classy from Lukaku

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Waxy goal. His first shot was going wide - dreadful effort - and it just ricocheted back off a defender into his shin again and in. I'll take one of those against Wales of course. Two ideally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Not in the Everton squad today at Middlesbrough. Presume he has to be injured?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Martin O'Neill must have had him around for some drills.

27. Thanks From: