Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 207 of 258 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    So, no Twitter action from the Irish hacks on who did what in training today, who played, who sat it out, who got a scan etc?
    They're too busy dissecting the latest futile statement from our superiors at YBIG.

McCarthy and Ward sat out training, if you're asking seriously.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Yes I was. Is sitting out training a good thing, ie, better than flying home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yes I was. Is sitting out training a good thing, ie, better than flying home?
    well if he was defo out i think we would know at this stage. hopefully a couple of days rest might do the trick. would have to train thursday i'd imagine if he is to start.

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Probably a good sign from our point of view. Anything that keeps him in camp with us and away from Martinez's Motherwell fake injury dungeon is a positive.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ Sport
    Meanwhile, McCarthy continues to be be assessed after reporting for international duty. The Everton midfielder complained of a tight hamstring following his club's 1-1 Barclays Premier League draw at Sunderland on Sunday. He and full-back Stephen Ward headed for the gym as their team-mates warmed up at Gannon Park in Malahide, including midfielder Glenn Whelan, who has made a rapid recovery since fracturing a bone in his leg during last month's draw in Germany.
    And Pat Nevin's take on the whole thing

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    My guess is that McCarthy will be deemed fit to play. Martinez's concerns (warning shots across the bow) are that we don't play him should he be deemed a risk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    My guess is that McCarthy will be deemed fit to play. Martinez's concerns (warning shots across the bow) are that we don't play him should he be deemed a risk.
    Any time he's asked to comment about Gibson's progress he makes sure to mention "the injury he sustained playing for the Republic of Ireland". He clearly doesn't like players going on international duty, albeit in that case he has a reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I suppose it's probably a pretty vivid memory seeing as he made the trip over for the game and accompanied Gibson in the medical room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I don't know what exorcism has to do with it, but it's a start at least that you acknowledge taking some of your pleasure from the infliction of pain upon others... You do know what sadomasochism is, right? Otherwise, fair enough. Do what you must.

It's not any lack of politeness that grates with me, though, and you know that rightly. Even now you're disingenuously playing dumb to it by asking if you're being polite enough, as if that was ever an issue.
    You know fully well I had a problem with your belligerent attitude, childish use of expletives and insulting comments in several posts which I referred to several times. Ironic for someone accusing me of playing dumb.

And I qualified what I said about Roberto Martinez with "maybe I was being paranoid", in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent you from derailing the thread by making it your mission to nitpick and over-analyse every little thing I say, but you still did it anyway!

Edit: I'm sorry. I won't broach the subject again. From now on, I will restrict this quibble to PM's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I am very concerned about the fact that Whelan may play a part in this game. In a high tempo game like this, you need athletic and mobile players, which Whelan is not - much less a not fully fit Whelan.

There are several reasons why this is potentially a bad idea.

No. 1 - What if he has to be substituted after 15 minutes and we waste an early substitution because he rushed himself back.

We have decent alternatives; especially if McCarthy is fit. Rushing Whelan back is not necessary. Gibson &/or Hendrick have earned this opportunity.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I am very concerned about the fact that Whelan may play a part in this game. In a high tempo game like this, you need athletic and mobile players, which Whelan is not - much less a not fully fit Whelan.

There are several reasons why this is potentially a bad idea.

No. 1 - What if he has to be substituted after 15 minutes and we waste an early substitution because he rushed himself back.

We have decent alternatives; especially if McCarthy is fit. Rushing Whelan back is not necessary. Gibson &/or Hendrick have earned this opportunity.
    I agree 100 per cent. Whelan is not near international standard, let alone a less than match fit Whelan.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    YAnd I qualified what I said about Roberto Martinez with "maybe I was being paranoid".
    i thought you took offence to me labeling you paranoid even when I laced it with self-deprecation, referring to myself as being paranoid too, just less so than you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Just a snap of training, which Ward, Whelan and McCarthy sat out: https://twitter.com/FM104/status/532131253034971136

I'm pretty sure seeing new posts in this thread between now and Friday will give me a coronary every single time!
    Stutts is already slowly losing his mind.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    The pessimist in me says McCarthy will not play. I hope I'm wrong. I would be concerned about starting him if he is not right.

As for Whelan, gotta admire the lads dedication. Playing for Ireland means do much to it as was evidenced when he scored against Italy. No superstar but a damn fine pro who hangs in there despite all the knockers, deserves more credit than he gets.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    The pessimist in me says McCarthy will not play. I hope I'm wrong. I would be concerned about starting him if he is not right.

As for Whelan, gotta admire the lads dedication. Playing for Ireland means do much to it as was evidenced when he scored against Italy. No superstar but a damn fine pro who hangs in there despite all the knockers, deserves more credit than he gets.
    Have to agree.
    Trap, Pulis, Hughes, O'Neill can't all be wrong about the guy.
    Thought he did well against Germany until he came off.

Also, I think he'd playing better football for us since Trap era.
    Has more freedom to get forward and play a bit
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Is he sitting out training to give him maximum rest and time for recuperation, or is it because there's an injury there preventing him from even training at the minute? If the game was tomorrow, would McCarthy be fit enough to play/contribute? I get the impression, probably not. The camp are remaining pretty tight-lipped about it all, or the media aren't being all that penetrative, which would be unusual for a change. It can only be a good thing that he's still there though. If the problem was anything other than minor, he'd surely be back at Everton.

You know fully well I had a problem with your belligerent attitude, childish use of expletives and insulting comments in several posts which I referred to several times. Ironic for someone accusing me of playing dumb.
    You've misinterpreted me. I was clarifying that I never had a problem with impoliteness on your part in response to what I perceived to be a disingenuous suggestion that some impoliteness on your part might have irritated me in order to take the heat off what I do have a problem with; funnily enough, your habitual disingenuousness. When I accused you of a lack of respect for the forum and its members, I wasn't implying impoliteness as you've suggested it was the problem. And childish use of expletives? I think you might have taken some of my attempts at comic relief (winding you up in a good-natured way to try and embrace you as a board member, for want of a better description) over the past while as completely serious, which is regrettable. My present state of ongoing exasperation with you is as a result of a sense that you are truly beyond reasoning, even in your seeming attempts at self-moderation. I'm not convinced you're being completely genuine. Either that, or you just don't get it. Unfortunately, I've reached the end of my tether with you as a result.

And I qualified what I said about Roberto Martinez with "maybe I was being paranoid", in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent you from derailing the thread by making it your mission to nitpick and over-analyse every little thing I say, but you still did it anyway!
    Derailing a James McCarthy thread by discussing James McCarthy (or suspect claims you've made about him and his club manager that don't stand up to scrutiny)? You make contentious and very much debatable claims (not everything you say is so, mind); I question those claims. That's the crux of it really. It seems you don't like a thorough questioning and wish to hide away under the victim-playing and accusations that I'm being too stringent with you. I wouldn't keep bugging you for answers if you didn't persistently ignore the valid counter-arguments offered to you in complete good faith. It's just bad form on your part and it's terribly infuriating when trying to have a reasonable discussion with you. It annoys me even when I see you do it with other respected board members. I mean, I went and dug up the Martinez quote from 2010 and you've simply pretended you haven't even seen it. Can't you see why that would **** someone off? If you want to debate contentious issues and make grand claims, be prepared to deal with the heat your assertions often warrant. It seems almost childish, but for now, I think I'm going to have to ignore you for the good of my own mental well being, because posting on a football forum really shouldn't be the source of this much annoyance. I want to actually try and enjoy Friday and the build-up talk. If our head-to-heads have been to others' nuisance also, I apologise. If you're ever ready to engage seriously, you know where I am...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    You've misinterpreted me. I was clarifying that I never had a problem with impoliteness on your part in response to what I perceived to be a disingenuous suggestion that some impoliteness on your part might have irritated me in order to take the heat off what I do have a problem with

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Sorry, that is a bit long-winded. TOWK suggested I had a problem with impoliteness on his part. That wasn't my issue and I thought that suggestion was just another disingenuous way of ignoring the actual issue. I've never had an issue with him being obnoxious or anything like that; when I talk of bad form, it's simply in reference to the sophistry and logical trickery in which he engages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Some on here like Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    In my head, I end each of TOWK's and Danny's sentences with "...Parklife!"
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/11/2014 at 10:13 AM.

26. Thanks From: