Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    We could have been calling up James for ages now in a similar fashion.

Also some of the guff attributed to Trap and Shay this week has been a balls-up. 'he's our player and will very soon have a great career with Ireland' should have been the party line.
    wrt your first point, did we have that many real opportunities to cap him? When did the rules change?

re-Trap & Given's comments: bang on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hopefully its all set up for McCarthy to score the winner against Scotland in May.
    and Gibson to score against NI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    The comments written at the end are pretty rude (to say the least)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/02...6908-22914662/
    RickyBlue wrote:
    This is a no story just some guy "James Who?" looking to get his name in the paper. If he can't get a game for ROI what makes him think he would get picked for Scotland. Better players can't get into the Scotland team.
    ha ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    those scottish supporters are deluded full of hatred, still not surprising some of there best players wanting to be irish.haha. they must be all rangers fans id say.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
    ha ha
    Spain, Holland and the sweaties in that order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Also some of the guff attributed to Trap and Shay this week has been a balls-up. 'he's our player and will very soon have a great career with Ireland' should have been the party line.
    Exactly! Looks like this 20 year old young man has more media savvy that our 70 year old Italian manager. It is very mature of him to let his agent do the talking on his behalf and concentrate on his football, rather than have a twitter page like so many of his contemporaries.

Trap needs to take a leaf out of his book and learn to shut the hell up once in a while. We have dodged this bullet but a quick look into his past interviews will tell you its only a matter of time before it starts costing us players. Leaving aside the Andy Reid and Stephen Reid situations (I won't mention Stephen Ireland, although he has admitted himself this week their meeting was a disaster) he has overseen during his tenure. Here are some others that came to mind when it comes to Trap shooting his mouth off at players under him....

A. Plays Henderson ahead of Dean Kiely for a friendly when he had sat on the bench for the previous campaign (rightly Kiely told he to 'do one' and went home)

B. When asked how Chris McCann played against Man Utd last year he said he had only touched the ball 3 times and had no position (the number of touches comment was proven to be complete rubbish.

C. Gibson - Tells him to leave Man Utd twice after previously been told by Gibson to mind his own business

D. C Clark - Had only declared for us when Trap was asked how he thought Clark had done against Arsenal (where he had scored 2 goals) Traps suggests (while laughing) that 'He is not a midfielder, watch Barcelona v Real Madrid (5-0 to Barca match) to see real midfielders'. To say you should watch the best team in the world to base you judgement on a midfielders ability is a complete nonsense. If anyone had seen Alonso in that match they would have thought he should be playing in the Non-League.

E. Keane - Warns our top ever goalscorer to leave or be dropped. Again no need to say it publicly, did keane really have to be told??

F. kilbane - Got a fax to say he is dropped. KK says he is not happy. Trap said he sent a text but it must not have delivered. I would love to see that text 'if' he did send it. He can barely speak English, how on earth would he be able to write anything that would not look abrupt send in a text message. This to a man who has over 100 caps. God knows what he wrote if he did write it..surely something eloquent as 'You are...ah....dropped....ah....' Jebus wept.

In the last 20 years I cannot remember Alex Ferguson making any such comments like this about players under him. Trap does it every interview.

Before its too late somebody has to clip his wings. If that means not doing interviews I'm willing to sacrifice that 'honour'!
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I would love to see that text 'if' he did send it.
    "Whats up kev, u is not needed v wales. L8ters". IL TRAP.

8. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A. Plays Henderson ahead of Dean Kiely for a friendly when he had sat on the bench for the previous campaign (rightly Kiely told he to 'do one' and went home)
    It was Westwood, who's now firmly established as our number two, while Deano has all but retired from the playing side of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was Westwood, who's now firmly established as our number two, while Deano has all but retired from the playing side of things.
    Sorry your right, it was Westwood but my point stands. At the time Dean Kiely was our number 2 and deserved to be given the nod. He was the one asked to come out of retirement knowing he would be Givens number 2 and was prepared to do that. For a man who had not got many caps because of the quality of Given, to start game was the least he deserved in my opinion.
    Last edited by LFCSixty/Eighty; 11/02/2011 at 1:45 PM.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Well...that was an exciting few days!

Now excuse me while I nurse this news report hangover.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    I'm sorry but a lot of this stick aimed at trap is unfounded, yes he may be doing things that is upsetting players but that's not always unwarranted.

-> Dean Kiely was ancient and a backup at his club, what was there to gain playing him in a friendly when there's a young up and coming player who needed the experience instead? Ultimately Trap's decision was vindicated when Kiely for the second time in his international career took his ball and went home because he wasn't being played. Would have been wasting his time giving game time to someone with that attitude.

-> Gibson is a 23 year old who has made a total of 8 league appearances all season for his club, most of them either off the bench or being taken off halfway through. He's regularly not in the match squad at all and will never develop his game until he gets regular game time. Trap obviously sees theres some problem with Gibson be it match fitness or consistency that can be rectified by this so what on earth is wrong with saying as such? If it hurts Darrens feelings then boo-hoo, I'm sure it'd hurt him even more if he was dropped from the squad without a reason.

-> Ditto Keane and I think him needing a move was common sense we could all agree with. As for making it public? I thought it was a smart move as it dispells the idea that Keane is undroppable, encouraging all the other strikers that they have an opportunity for a starting place now. If Keane's attitude is right he'll knuckle down and sort out his situation, if its wrong he'll threaten to take his ball and go home a la kiely.

-> Kilbane is a 34 year old spent force playing in League 1, I honestly think faxing him the decision is a courtesy that every other player in previous squads would not have been given.
    Bearing in mind this is for a trifling friendly where the main purpose was to try out some new young options. He even mentioned after the game that Kilbane was still in his plans, it's not as if this decision signals the end of his international career or anything.

Generally all of Traps comments about players have been in the area of:

-> Commitment (He wants every player to be at their national teams beck and call)
    -> Attitude (No crap from his players)
    -> Match Fitness (Players playing regularly at their clubs is a must for him)

And I don't think its unreasonable for any manager to demand these things and if all 3 aren't given then you'll be sidelined from his plans, which is simply what these public warnings are. I like the discipline he's brought in, it'll weed out some for sure but it'll give us a better team and mentality over all.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    KK
    "and it was great to be picked in Mr Trapattoni’s initial squad, because I really want to carry on playing at international level.
    But if the coach doesn’t pick me to play now or in future squads, then so be it. I’m big enough to take it and I will just concentrate on my club football.”

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Geysir where did ye get that? Copyright claim
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    James McArthur is also eligible for us, via his mum's side. Why not him also??

McCarthy will turn out to be no better than McGeady anyway, mark my words.

Some snippets about the story though in this thread. http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/optio...limitstart,60/

Be warned, they're normally quite snotty about foot.ie on here.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Geysir where did ye get that? Copyright claim
    KK ready to splash paint

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    James McArthur is also eligible for us, via his mum's side. Why not him also??
    Richie Dunne needs to go on loan to Wigan I think.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Some great posts today lads keep it up

Geysir you are doing your own splashing with all these anchor links.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Recovered from his ankle injury in time to face Liverpool tomorrow according to SSN.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Well, it does look like he is now our player and that is a huge relief if it holds true, he is among the best prospects, emphasis on prospect, in my time following Ireland.

However, I dont think you get to a stage in the modern media savvy environs of football where Levein, Trap and Martinez all cite some kind of decision needing to be made by the player, without there being some creedence to that. How he ended up feeling that way clearly leads back to Trap and his omission from the original Senior squad almost tipped this one the other way, thats my reading of it. Thankfully, Trap seems to have agreed to get him involved and make him feel wanted by us, and it's understandable a lad from his background wanting that, completely so.

That also didnt come from Trap himself I feel, judging by his dealings with other players, which err on the harsh side whether you agree with them or not, I feel he had to be told to sort this one and not lose this player, by whom remains to be seen, biographys in a few years will shed more light I suppose. It points also to a worrying blind spot in his knowledge of how good this guy might become. It doesnt fill me with confidence in the man, and our performances of late havent either, but the squad is growing, deepth which hasnt been there in a while, so it can still come right.

It does make me wonder though, how many other 'inbetweener' players of dual eligibility might now be options for us, who arent, due to his ways.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 11/02/2011 at 3:21 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCSixty/Eighty View Post
    Exactly! Looks like this 20 year old young man has more media savvy that our 70 year old Italian manager. It is very mature of him to let his agent do the talking on his behalf and concentrate on his football, rather than have a twitter page like so many of his contemporaries.

Trap needs to take a leaf out of his book and learn to shut the hell up once in a while. We have dodged this bullet but a quick look into his past interviews will tell you its only a matter of time before it starts costing us players. Leaving aside the Andy Reid and Stephen Reid situations (I won't mention Stephen Ireland, although he has admitted himself this week their meeting was a disaster) he has overseen during his tenure. Here are some others that came to mind when it comes to Trap shooting his mouth off at players under him....

B. When asked how Chris McCann played against Man Utd last year he said he had only touched the ball 3 times and had no position (the number of touches comment was proven to be complete rubbish.

C. Gibson - Tells him to leave Man Utd twice after previously been told by Gibson to mind his own business

D. C Clark - Had only declared for us when Trap was asked how he thought Clark had done against Arsenal (where he had scored 2 goals) Traps suggests (while laughing) that 'He is not a midfielder, watch Barcelona v Real Madrid (5-0 to Barca match) to see real midfielders'. To say you should watch the best team in the world to base you judgement on a midfielders ability is a complete nonsense. If anyone had seen Alonso in that match they would have thought he should be playing in the Non-League.

E. Keane - Warns our top ever goalscorer to leave or be dropped. Again no need to say it publicly, did keane really have to be told??

F. kilbane - Got a fax to say he is dropped. KK says he is not happy. Trap said he sent a text but it must not have delivered. I would love to see that text 'if' he did send it. He can barely speak English, how on earth would he be able to write anything that would not look abrupt send in a text message. This to a man who has over 100 caps. God knows what he wrote if he did write it..surely something eloquent as 'You are...ah....dropped....ah....' Jebus wept.

In the last 20 years I cannot remember Alex Ferguson making any such comments like this about players under him. Trap does it every interview.

Before its too late somebody has to clip his wings. If that means not doing interviews I'm willing to sacrifice that 'honour'!
    absolutely horrific stuff alright. Especially the fact that he has wings. I have to say i didnt know that.

Good post.