Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Those slippery slopes I warned of are here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinBallWizard View Post
    major absence on this site lately of the once vociferous and opinionated 'old keeper' and his mini me 'young L37 fan'...who I note from the fantasy league shares the same surname as old keeper
    Shur if you're to be believed I'm sure he has far more important things to be doing than posting on an internet forum

I mean, sure, he could come on with bull$hit rumours I suppose............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

some ramblings on the topic

Yes, there are problems at the club.
    There seem to be financial pressures and organisational pressures.

But whatever the situation, most fans are content to go along to the matches (or not!), maybe discuss/moan about the club in the pub or online, and that's it!
    While I only expect a minority to have any serious interest in the actual running of the club, it is disappointing to see that the level of discussion here rarely gets above calling for certain people to be sacked and replaced by people who occupied certain positions in past incarnations of the club! If those who ran the club in the past were so great, how come we find ourselves where we are now?!!? There are very few actual concrete suggestions emanating from this forum!

I have nothing against people who were previously involved being involved in the current setup. Mistakes were made in the past, but valuable lessons can be learnt from those mistakes. As long as those people have learnt the right lessons from their experiences and are motivated for the right reasons, they can play a very useful role in the potential success of the current club.

While luck can sometimes help you get over organisational problems in the short term, eventually those problems will be exposed. The debacle over the table quiz is one small example of this. Should it emerge that there are bigger financial problems, that would be a more significant indication of underlying organisational problems.

I don't believe there is anyone involved in the club at the moment who isn't capable of doing a very good job. But no organisation can function as a small group of individuals. It must work as a cohesive unit with a clear plan and focus. It must also have enough people involved to spread the workload, with everyone properly motivated and pulling their weight. If those involved are carrying too heavy a workload the cumulative effect of such pressure/stress can over time lead to poor decision making.

While I am disappointed with the performance of certain people in the club, I think their shortcomings are more due to a lack of direction rather than them being incapable. To an extent, this is perfectly understandable given the conditions: a new club has been formed, with most of the people involved new to their respective roles.
    I do think that a little more clear direction would begin to help this situation.
    This is Ger Finnin's job. But in order to do so more effectively, I think he probably needs to be relieved of some of the duties he currently carries out.

The only thing that really disappoints me at the moment is the lack of say the supporters have in the running of the club. The openness that I had hoped for is not quite there. While there is a position on the board for a non-voting supporters' rep, from what I can gather, in practice the rest of the board seem to regard this as a discretionary position when it comes to holding meetings.
    The surest way of building the club is through the current cohort of regular supporters. While positive media coverage can help build up a buzz around the club, most of this will go over people's heads unless it is accompanied by word of mouth from actual real life fans who have actually witnessed a real live match!

In my opinion, the direct involvement of supporters in the running of the club is the surest path to success.
    Some examples:
    • It is the current fans who will recruit new fans to the cause of Limerick 37 on the pitch.
    • A little market research among supporters would yield information that could inform a targetted advertising/sponsorship campaign.
    Although the Supporters' Club has made some progress this year, it too has some way to go to get properly organised. But it's on the right path.
    Even if it doesn't own any shares, a well organised Supporters' Club can (and always should) wield great influence within the club.
    After all, without the fans the club is an empty shell...

(Wow, that took so long, I see everyone else has now gone to bed... I think I'll follow suit!)
    Last edited by redron; 30/07/2007 at 2:20 AM.
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redron View Post
    Yes, there are problems at the club.
    There seem to be financial pressures and organisational pressures.

But whatever the situation, most fans are content to go along to the matches (or not!), maybe discuss/moan about the club in the pub or online, and that's it!
    While I only expect a minority to have any serious interest in the actual running of the club, it is disappointing to see that the level of discussion here rarely gets above calling for certain people to be sacked and replaced by people who occupied certain positions in past incarnations of the club! If those who ran the club in the past were so great, how come we find ourselves where we are now?!!? There are very few actual concrete suggestions emanating from this forum!

I have nothing against people who were previously involved being involved in the current setup. Mistakes were made in the past, but valuable lessons can be learnt from those mistakes. As long as those people have learnt the right lessons from their experiences and are motivated for the right reasons, they can play a very useful role in the potential success of the current club.

While luck can sometimes help you get over organisational problems in the short term, eventually those problems will be exposed. The debacle over the table quiz is one small example of this. Should it emerge that there are bigger financial problems, that would be a more significant indication of underlying organisational problems.

I don't believe there is anyone involved in the club at the moment who isn't capable of doing a very good job. But no organisation can function as a small group of individuals. It must work as a cohesive unit with a clear plan and focus. It must also have enough people involved to spread the workload, with everyone properly motivated and pulling their weight. If those involved are carrying too heavy a workload the cumulative effect of such pressure/stress can over time lead to poor decision making.

While I am disappointed with the performance of certain people in the club, I think their shortcomings are more due to a lack of direction rather than them being incapable. To an extent, this is perfectly understandable given the conditions: a new club has been formed, with most of the people involved new to their respective roles.
    I do think that a little more clear direction would begin to help this situation.
    This is Ger Finnin's job. But in order to do so more effectively, I think he probably needs to be relieved of some of the duties he currently carries out.

The only thing that really disappoints me at the moment is the lack of say the supporters have in the running of the club. The openness that I had hoped for is not quite there. While there is a position on the board for a non-voting supporters' rep, from what I can gather, in practice the rest of the board seem to regard this as a discretionary position when it comes to holding meetings.
    The surest way of building the club is through the current cohort of regular supporters. While positive media coverage can help build up a buzz around the club, most of this will go over people's heads unless it is accompanied by word of mouth from actual real life fans who have actually witnessed a real live match!

In my opinion, the direct involvement of supporters in the running of the club is the surest path to success.
    Some examples:
    • It is the current fans who will recruit new fans to the cause of Limerick 37 on the pitch.
    • A little market research among supporters would yield information that could inform a targetted advertising/sponsorship campaign.
    Although the Supporters' Club has made some progress this year, it too has some way to go to get properly organised. But it's on the right path.
    Even if it doesn't own any shares, a well organised Supporters' Club can (and always should) wield great influence within the club.
    After all, without the fans the club is an empty shell...

(Wow, that took so long, I see everyone else has now gone to bed... I think I'll follow suit!)

Fair Play!! Well said
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    'young L37 fan'
    No longer able to post here.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    No longer able to post here.
    on all of foot.ie or just this thread??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    On everything, hes gone over to that other eircom league forum i believe (forget the name) but hes the only Limerick fella on it so far
    He told me on the forum of our fantasy league thingy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From this....
    Originally Posted by joeSoap
    Either Danny is a very very good bargainer, or L37 got ripped off in their development work in the jacks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Eh, isn't Darren Hehir involved in the building trade??

to this.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinBallWizard
    why so diplomatic Joe? Get off the fence.Either you want these guys in or out. I bought shares in this ****ing thing.
    You bought shares, hooray for you

Quote:
    Every single person I talk to at matches and in the pub later thinks finnin is a spoofer that would put roddy collins to shame,.
    So what??

Quote:
    And don't get me started on our 'head of security' that behaves like a back street doorman.
    Name one instance of trouble this year?? Have you any idea how much outside security would cost?? I say fairplay to him

Quote:
    Why is he responsible for making decisions in the club?
    I reckon he bought slightly more shares than you.

Quote:
    EAs a shareholder do I not have the right to an explanation as to what the hell is going on?
    And your way of getting an explanation is to spread scurrilous muck all over a website..........

Why don't you just approach the "back street doorman" or the "spoofer" in person??

Quote:
    Aah.....our head of security,does anyone remember him from last season,in the shed
    Sure do. In the Shed every single game, a real fan. Not the type to go in for spreading stuff on the internet

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

You certainly changed your tune....a bit two-faced no??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post

Hes banned from the whole site!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    Hes banned from the whole site!!
    jesus, how'd he manage to get a full on ban?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    jesus, how'd he manage to get a full on ban?

Not sure but id say a lot of people complained him!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    You certainly changed your tune....a bit two-faced no??
    Where?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Where?!?!
    From where you were questioning the role played by D.Hehir in the redevelopment of jackman one minute where you inferred he was responsible for over-pricing, and a short while later are praising him to the hilt.

As in.....

Originally Posted by joeSoap
    Either Danny is a very very good bargainer, or L37 got ripped off in their development work in the jacks
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lim till i die
    Eh, isn't Darren Hehir involved in the building trade??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    From where you were questioning the role played by D.Hehir in the redevelopment of jackman one minute where you inferred he was responsible for over-pricing, and a short while later are praising him to the hilt.

As in.....
    The point I was making (sigh) was that if Mr. Soap had an accusation to make he should just come out and make it rather than dealing in inuendo. See when you deal in inuendo you get people like your good self unable to grasp what you're on about

Not sure I can make it any simpler for you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The point I was making (sigh) was that if Mr. Soap had an accusation to make he should just come out and make it rather than dealing in inuendo. See when you deal in inuendo you get people like your good self unable to grasp what you're on about

Not sure I can make it any simpler for you
    Mr.Soap wasn't making any accusations through innuendo. Mr Soap was merely stating that either Danny Drew was very very frugal in his construction dealings or that perhaps L37 were over charged for the work they did.

See when you read innuendo into everything, good people like yourself become slightly paranoid...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    Mr.Soap wasn't making any accusations through innuendo. Mr Soap was merely stating that either Danny Drew was very very frugal in his construction dealings or that perhaps L37 were over charged for the work they did.

See when you read innuendo into everything, good people like yourself become slightly paranoid...
    The only reason I'm paranoid is because they're all after me

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234