Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Dalymount redevelopment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Dalymount redevelopment

The future redevelopment of Dalymount Park was discussed in the Sunday Business Post dated 17 June 2007

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/s...338-qqqx=1.asp

Scheme aims to establish links between the North Circular Road and the Royal Canal, writes Neil Callanan.

Tesco has fired a preliminary shot across Liam Carroll’s bows regarding his future plans for Dalymount Park in Phibsborough, Dublin 7.

Its submission to Dublin City Council on the Mountjoy/Phibsborough local area plan (LAP),which was prepared by GVA Planning, states that further retail development around the redeveloped Phibsborough shopping centre will generate more traffic and therefore exacerbate congestion.

Carroll is widely expected to submit planning for a scheme in Dalymount Park similar to the Glasshaus in Tallaght, which comprises retail on the ground floor with apartments and open space overhead. The retail element would inevitably include a competitor to Tesco.

In its submission, Tesco does, however, make a number of points regarding the retail offering in the area and admits it needs to improve. ‘‘The retail provision is falling behind both qualatitively and quantitatively,” states the submission.

‘‘We would suggest that the quality of retail offer needs to be enhanced and upgraded in order to maintain Phibsborough’s significance as a district centre in the area and realise its development potential in line with its prime urban designation.”

However, even with a new centre, the issue of retail in the wider Phibsborough area will need to be looked at. ‘‘With regard to retail floorspace, the quantum is restricted due to the historic urban form of Phibsborough Centre which in turn is restricting retail growth,” it states.

‘‘Phibsborough is due to undergo significant changes over the next few years, which will result in population increases and we submit that, in the absence of available retail floor-space in the centre of Phibsborough, peripheral areas should be considered for redevelopment.”

Liam Carroll has not submitted a proposal at this stage. Albion Properties, which owns the Phibsborough shopping centre, requested the LAP include a provision that the area between Doyle’s Corner and Connaught Street, including the shopping centre, be designated the preferred location for future retail development and high density mixed use development.

The Office of Public Works has made a submission regarding Mountjoy prison and the adjoining garda station and Egan’s cash and carry. The site is 21.3 acres, making it around the same size as both St Stephen’s Green and Temple Bar. It is also about half the size of the entire Trinity College complex.

‘‘By virtue of its scale, the redevelopment of the site will transform the immediate area with its effects rippling far beyond the immediate site,” states the submission.

It adds that ‘‘proposals for the redevelopment of key sites in Phibsborough, such as Mountjoy, Dalymount Park, the shopping centre, the Mater Hospital and further afield in Grangegorman have the potential if properly managed to truly reverse the fortunes of this borough.” It also says Phibsborough lacks an identifiable centre and has a poor urban environment.

The submission also reveals the design team appointed by the OPW is investigating the possibly of bringing the canal into the site.

The site already has 240 metres frontage onto the canal and diagrams contained in the submission suggest part of the main prison and training unit could become part of a new park.

Mountjoy must be opened up, it states, ‘‘creating a space that is the catalyst for the regeneration of the local area, that aspires to create a sustainable urban community, that connects the Royal Canal back to the city’’. Its design team is therefore assessing the buildings at present to determine what is essential and what can be demolished in order to establish links between the North Circular Road and the Royal Canal.

The eventual scheme will try to establish links with the Mater, suggesting there will be some medical facilities built there, and make use of its proximity to the new third-level institutions.

Botanic Business Centres, which owns a 4.2-acre site, has submitted a plan that its site be redeveloped to include office, retail and residential uses. ‘‘The subject site is a prime example of a key site that has excellent access to public transport and is now an underutilised site,” the submission by Fewer Harrington Lawlor states.

It proposes the site be redeveloped with six blocks of between five and eight storeys with provision for boutique stores, cafes, restaurants and business enterprises. One of the buildings, which is listed for preservation, would become a hotel while the listed chimney would become a viewing platform. An adjoining site has already been cleared for development.

Sinn Fein’s Mary Lou MacDonald and Nicky Kehoe have proposed that a rail station be set up beside the Brian Boru pub to encourage public transport use. The Maynooth rail line passes by the pub.

They also want Broadstone station, which is currently used as a Dublin Bus depot, to be reopened and stress that a major underground car parking facility is required.

They believe the area needs a new core of retail and residential use and state it badly needs a new anchor tenant and major hotel name to open. The Cabra Park Residents Association is campaigning for 20 per cent of Dalymount to be kept as public open space and for a height limit of around three storeys. Many of the submissions show concern about the large scale subdivision of houses into flats in the area and contains major criticism of CIE’s regarding derelict land it owns around Broadstone.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I believe the Mountjoy jail redevelopment would require a significant amount of the buildings to be preserved.

I think the main problem with Phibsboro is that its an important route for a lot of traffic into the City. It would be the default route for a lot of traffic from Blancharstown & Finglas. There no doubt it is prime residential development potential though.

With Dublins population growing the options are to build up (higher density) or out (more urban sprawl).
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I believe the Mountjoy jail redevelopment would require a significant amount of the buildings to be preserved.

I think the main problem with Phibsboro is that its an important route for a lot of traffic into the City. It would be the default route for a lot of traffic from Blancharstown & Finglas. There no doubt it is prime residential development potential though.

With Dublins population growing the options are to build up (higher density) or out (more urban sprawl).
    Nobody knows how much of the joy should be preserved as McDowell wouldn't let the corpo's conservation officer onsite before the place is valued!

RE: Dalymount-It is interesting to see the yokels accepting the inevitability that it is gone.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mongo View Post
    Nobody knows how much of the joy should be preserved as McDowell wouldn't let the corpo's conservation officer onsite before the place is valued!
    I don't know if that is correct as my information is that private company are contracted to do that evaluation. There would be no sense to the Minister delaying as conservation assessment is required by law.

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There would be no sense to the Minister delaying as conservation assessment is required by law.
    Might do if they'd just paid way over the odds for a farm in North County Dublin and they're justifying through net cost figures?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't know if that is correct as my information is that private company are contracted to do that evaluation. There would be no sense to the Minister delaying as conservation assessment is required by law.
    My point exactly-I would imagine a private company would be a lot quicker to tell the minister what steps to take to compromise buildings that should be on the Record of Protected Structures that would otherwise make the site less attractive on the open market-I doubt if many people with a background in heritage/conservation have seen what could be quite valuable/architecturally interesting interior details etc.

It will be intersting to see if tesco are portrayed as the bad boys if the plan delays our relocation to Harristown. Slightly more formidable opponents than Thomas Davis!
    Last edited by bad mongo; 18/06/2007 at 1:24 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mongo View Post
    It will be intersting to see if tesco are portrayed as the bad boys if the plan delays our relocation to Harristown. Slightly more formidable opponents than Thomas Davis!
    But Tesco's angle will be for them to be the "anchor tenant" (for want of a better term) rather than Dunnes.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    But Tesco's angle will be for them to be the "anchor tenant" (for want of a better term) rather than Dunnes.

Judging by the submission mentioned in the article above by their planning consultants it may be assumed that they are committed to remaining in the present shopping centre when it is redeveloped by Albion properties and have no wish to see additional commercial land uses on what is presently the Dalymount playing surface. One would hope the redevlopment of Mountjoy offers an opportunity for a truly unique form of regeneration but we haven't learned in this country yet how to do this properly (and I'm not holding my breath).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If they did it properly redeveloping Mountjoy would present the opportunity to link Phibsboro to the Dorset Street area along the Canal which could surely not be opposed by locals as Dorset St needs improvements.

Bring back Rocketman!