Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Tonights Echo/Leader

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Tonights Echo/Leader

OUT OF THE TRAPS....New €10m grayhound track gets go-ahead. By Colm Kinsella in the Echo.

Limerick is set to boast a new €10million greyhound stadium within the next two years. Board na gCon today reiterated their commitment to building a new greyhound stadium at the old Greenpark Racecourse, off south circular road.
    An Bord Pleanala recently granted planning permission for site works to be carried out at the former racecourse. This is a major step forward for trh project, details of which were first unvailed in January 2001. The next step of the process will see Bord na gCon apply for planning permission for the actual project itself to Limerick City Council.
    A Bord na gCon spokesman said the development of the new facility would provide a major boost to the grayhound industry in the mid-west region. Owners, trainers, greyhound enthusiasts and bookmakers whould benefit from such a move.
    "Bord na gCon is now commited to putting arrangements in place to develop a new greyhound stadium at Greenpark," the spokesman said. "This will of course be subject to planning permission. The spend will be in the region of €10 million. It is hoped the that such a facility would be ready within two years.
    The Bord nGon spokesman declined to comment on what would happen the existing greyhound stadium at the Markets Field if the Greenpark project proceeds as planned.

PIKE TO SHOW HAND OF FRIENDSHIP By John O'Shaughnessy (AKA The greatest waffler on the plannet) in the Leader.

There is growing speculation that Pike Rovers could be willing to accomodate Limerick FC in the new season.
    According to sources a high-powered delegation from the FAI are scheduled to visit the Pike Rovers ground. Over the years the hoops have invested a lot of money in Crossagalla. With LOI soccer now to be played between April and October, there is no pressure on member coubs to have floodlight facilities. However, if the FAI in tandem with Pike, were to decide that Limericks long term future is at the south city venue they would likely enter negotiations to upgrade the ground still further. Top of the priority list would be covered accommoation. Limerick severed their connection with the LDMC at the end of the 2002-2003 playing season.

Now either they made up both stories reading our posts or are we right all along with the markets field/Pike thing?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I can't imagine that Pike are willing to accomadate Limerick for 2-3 years or whatever only for us then to head back home to The Market's Field unless their ground is extensively developed as well. Also though I can't imagine the FAI developing both grounds. If we go into Pike I think we can probably forget about The Market's Field but given the license situation we need a home fast and from that point of view Pike Rovers looks like the most probable option...
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

i agree

but we have got to put pressure on the fai to do something i dont know delay or give us a stay of exacution on the licencing thing. i know hardly unlikely but if we move to the pike field whats our weekly attendance going to be? 50?....60? 100 tops maybe and your car stolen. **** this SLK we're walking up there mate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    And if he has to walk then maybe Deise Deserter will find his way back to the RSC! I can see it now though.

Deise: Hello Bert... I mean Gael and slk. Are you going to the Sligo game?

Gael & slk: Why yes, yes we are!

Deise: Great, is gael driving?

Gael & slk: No, we're walking...

Deise Oh I see... maybe I'll spend the weekend with herself then...

Only kidding Deise!

But seriously why should the FAI give us any extensions. We've known about the licenses for long enough now and it's hardly their fault we've taken so long to get started! I think we will be given some leeway but only on the provisio that we stay in Pike. This is it lads, wherever we decide on will be our long-term home unless the FAI chicken out of enforcing their rules again...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

mmm

forget pike and do a deal with ul thats what im saying. ul for there training facilities and go for the markets field as our base. maybe ul will bye it come to think of it i bet the'll bid for it anyway for there rugby team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    DUDE !!!!

Shaming me and my lack-of-car-ness!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey and anyway didn't you miss the Dub City game for a girl!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Re: mmm

Originally posted by gael353
    forget pike and do a deal with ul thats what im saying. ul for there training facilities and go for the markets field as our base. maybe ul will bye it come to think of it i bet the'll bid for it anyway for there rugby team.
    Ok, let's get the Market's Field. The club has no money, I have €50 at the moment, we'll get another €100 or so outta you and Dave... I'm sure you see my point. The Market's Field is the answer yes but unless somebody buys it for us we won't get it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Pike Field is NOT the way forward, I was talking to a country fan last week and he said he'd be afraid to go into the Pike field because of its location and the trouble thats associated with that area and if Lims moved to the MF then all the country crowd would be back supporting the Blues just like the past glory days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I agree totally but it's not on The Market at the moment which is a problem given that we need to show the FAI that we're in a secure home if we're not to be kicked out of the league next year. Ideally we'd spend 2-3 years wherever and then move into The Market's Field when it's available. All this however is dependant on us getting the cash from somewhere to actually buy it... suggestions? (other than JP because that's an obvious one!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

lets buy it then

bye the time the ground becomes available we the supporters will be well set up, not financially but you know what i mean. We'll get the big guns behind us and buldose the grayhound track to have just a field a flat good field. and for the ten or so years it will take the fai and the club to realise that the pike is not the answer who will they come to??? so we along with the buyers will be the owners/trustees of the markets field. for the ten years we'll rent to anyone athletics hurling rugby whoever to make the money to keep it in our hands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

and

and if the idea fails as in if the club dont see sence then we will offer after 25/30 years the rights of the ground to the money men who put up the cash. but we'd prob like to sell it to a sports body rather then for housing.