Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shane Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shane Long

I see that Shane Long will be starting for Ireland next week. Does these mean Cork City will be getting another cash injection.

His value will be close to E2m after this. Not bad for a player Cork values at E20000. Reading coaches have said that he will be better that Kevin Doyle in another year or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    I see that Shane Long will be starting for Ireland next week. Does these mean Cork City will be getting another cash injection.

His value will be close to E2m after this. Not bad for a player Cork values at E20000. Reading coaches have sid that he will be better that Kevin Doyle in another year or two.
    First of all the Ireland game that he will be starting in is tomorrow not next week.

Secondly cork did not value him at €20,000. He was on amateur forms (sneaky Dolan) and this was the compensation they received for him.

Finally what was the point of your post except for being as inaccurate as possible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    sorry about the last part I'm just grumpy today but the first two stand!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think we got more than £20,000 for him but I'm not certain, thought it was in the region of £40,000 but I could be just thinking Euros.

Another £10k tonight for him playing for Ireland. Also have a 10% sell-on clause. He was a youth team player who played about 10 minutes senior football for City

Also Pat has done plenty wrong in the past and while I'm not one to defend Dolan normally, Shane's contract was changed from a pro one to allow him to go back to school to do his leaving due to a change in his personal circumstances. Nothing to do with Dolan being sneaky in fairness. Now how Reading ended up signing a player they never saw play...thats a different story
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    First of all the Ireland game that he will be starting in is tomorrow not next week.

Secondly cork did not value him at €20,000. He was on amateur forms (sneaky Dolan) and this was the compensation they received for him.

Finally what was the point of your post except for being as inaccurate as possible?
    The point is an eircom league club has been taken for a ride again. Shels gone bust with Stkoes valued at E3M now and Cork still part time with their past players worth around E13M. Its a scandal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've already apologised for the last point and yes I agree eircom League clubs were taken for a ride. However, it was mostly their own doing.

Cork didn't need to allow the clause in Doyler's contract. Anthony Stokes was only with Shels for about 5 minutes so not really a good example.

Shane's contract was changed from a pro one to allow him to go back to school to do his leaving due to a change in his personal circumstances.
    That may be so but was there something else behind it too? Dolan also had Doyle on amateur forms at Pats before Cork nicked him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC View Post
    I think we got more than £20,000 for him but I'm not certain, thought it was in the region of £40,000 but I could be just thinking Euros.

Another £10k tonight for him playing for Ireland. Also have a 10% sell-on clause. He was a youth team player who played about 10 minutes senior football for City

Also Pat has done plenty wrong in the past and while I'm not one to defend Dolan normally, Shane's contract was changed from a pro one to allow him to go back to school to do his leaving due to a change in his personal circumstances. Nothing to do with Dolan being sneaky in fairness. Now how Reading ended up signing a player they never saw play...thats a different story
    It was 20000 euro and Doyle was 110000 euro. Stokes was 20000 too I think but I may be wrong. Its not a wonder Eircom League clubs are going out of business. They are run by very very poor business men. You don't see Drogs losing any of their stars nor Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It was 20000 euro and Doyle was 110000 euro. Stokes was 20000 too I think but I may be wrong. Its not a wonder Eircom League clubs are going out of business. They are run by very very poor business men. You don't see Drogs losing any of their stars nor Derry.
    Anthoney Stokes was not one of our Star's, he was a 16 year old kid who was offered a trail with Arsenal, Just like any kid that age if there offered a trial they go. He was not sign as a professional as he was to young so we had no say in the matter.

He is a great lost to our league (which he never played in) but looks like being a big gain to our international team.

Now Finnpark, in relation to teams losing there best players for peanuts, what would you know about that, what is your youth team like... is your moto 'not to produce players,so you can't lose them for peanuts'

Get of your high horse, yes my teamsin the ****, but least we gave it a go to try and go proffesional, what have you and your team ever brought to this league.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Stokes played for Shelbourne's youth team (only for a season I think) so he was an amateur.

I take your point but your examples relate to sales that occurred almost two years ago. I think we may have turned the corner and a lot of the credit has to go to Cork for the way they handled the Alan Bennett case - once bitten twice shy me thinks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post

I take your point but your examples relate to sales that occurred almost two years ago. I think we may have turned the corner and a lot of the credit has to go to Cork for the way they handled the Alan Bennett case - once bitten twice shy me thinks.
    Agreed, the prices achieved for Stephen Ward and Alan Bennett mark an awakening within the eL of the potential value of our best young players now that they can slip almost immediately into the game across the water. Cork must also take credit for their stance re. Roy O'Donovan, so I feel we've turned a corner over here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Breen View Post
    Anthoney Stokes was not one of our Star's, he was a 16 year old kid who was offered a trail with Arsenal, Just like any kid that age if there offered a trial they go. He was not sign as a professional as he was to young so we had no say in the matter.

He is a great lost to our league (which he never played in) but looks like being a big gain to our international team.

Now Finnpark, in relation to teams losing there best players for peanuts, what would you know about that, what is your youth team like... is your moto 'not to produce players,so you can't lose them for peanuts'

Get of your high horse, yes my teamsin the ****, but least we gave it a go to try and go proffesional, what have you and your team ever brought to this league.......
    Well, how many players have come through the Shels youth team for Shels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    MOre than have gone for to Britain for "peanuts"

Some people just have no sense of the real world in Irish football
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Long anytime scorer

6/5 with hills

5/4 betdirect

already confirmed as a starter

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    We got 40k euro (thats the currency we have his this country) for Long & i have no doubt he has improved since going to Reading. We also managed to negotiate a 10% sell on clause which hopefully we will see some cash from in the future. The only issue City fans have with this transfer is how Reading scouted him when he played little senior football.

The Bennet transfer price has moved the benchmark further so hopefully all eL clusb can build on that.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well, how many players have come through the Shels youth team for Shels
    One AFAIK
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheny Red View Post
    One AFAIK
    You see, if Ollie had only had a bit of patience and given youth a chance. Instead he packed the team with expensive teaboys, forcing Stokes to go abroad to find work. Stokes could have taken the eircom and Champions leagues by storm as a 16-year-old, catching the eye of Arsene Wenger who signs him for the €12 million that he would otherwise have wasted on Theo Walcott. A little forward-thinking and all Shelbourne's money woes could have been sorted.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cork still part time.
    We have one part time footballer and one who works full time in football between FAI and City, both over 30. All the rest are full time pros.

For Doyle yes we were taken for a ride.

Long was a youth team player (barely even in the u-21s) who's contract was nearly up. Lots of potential but no first team action aside from 10 minutes against Bray once. He's turned into a great player but we did well to get what we could IMO
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    Long anytime scorer

6/5 with hills

5/4 betdirect

already confirmed as a starter
    Where did you get those odds? He's 8/11 on the Will Hills site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he was 6/5 with hills
    they cut to 8/11

still 5/4 bet direct

cracking bet for a starting striker against san marino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Suppose you're claiming that as your tip, Mr Robbie Keane at 4/6?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast