Thread: Kevin Doyle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Kevin Doyle

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=25992

I have tbh it annoys me that Doyle who undoubtedly is the best young talent in the Premiership this season and a full Irish international to boot is only apparently worth to other managers around the 5 million mark while the likes of Carrick (average player) is apparently worth 18 million and Walcott a nobody was worth 12 mill all for the single reason that they were England internationals at some level.

Doesn't this sort of sh*t bother people? It's not me being anti-English, the simple fact is if Doyle was born in Walthamstow instead of Wexford then there wouldn't be a serious bid of less than 15 mill for him for the same run of form that he's had at 23. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by youngirish; 10/01/2007 at 11:01 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Its so pathetic
    Hargeaves 25 million ....yea right , he had a good world but so did nicky butt in 2002

the hype over english players sickens me

Same way the british clubs rape our eircom league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Could not give a **** what transfer they go for as long as they are successful and score goals for ireland.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Dead right youngirish, 5 million is derisory, he was probably worth that before he'd played a Premiership game(Given he was Player of The Championship and capped) and look at the progress since then. I would have thought at least 8 or nine million as valuation alone, let alone a bid. It is true. Hargreaves was unanimously chastised(perhaps justifiably so, I personally never saw anything decent about him) and after 3 or 4 decent performances in a crap team in the world cup he's suddenly in the 20-25 million bracket. English hype. Think Carrick was crazy money, and apparnetly Preston turned down a 9 million bid for that Nugent fella. There is simply no regard for Irish Players and their talents. They still go on as if Cork City are a pub team and that Doyle was something like a UCD Super League player 18 months ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I dont think that anyone thinks that Carrick is worth 18 million its more that thats what Manchester United had to pay to get him , same with Hargreaves . Reading wont sell him for 5 million its just a starting price

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Nobody will pay 25m for Hargreaves.

Reading have turned down 5m bid therefore he valued higher.

English market is far too much over-valued. FFS Watford valuing a player at 9m
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    It's because its Aston Villa bidding that £5 million is being quoted, if United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool were the team bidding it would start around £10million at least. Everyone knows that Arsenal won't pay stupid money so £10 million would put them off, Liverpool can't afford £10 million, but both those clubs would do business at £5 million and well whether you are Reading selling Doyle, Bayern selling Hargreaves or Man City selling Richards you are going to try to get every penny out of Chelsea and United so you are going to quote huge prices that they will pay in the end

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    English market is far too much over-valued. FFS Watford valuing a player at 9m
    Exactly Ashley Young an English U21 international. He's pure sh*te - 3 goals in 21 games yet his transfer value is apparently 4 million more than Doyle's bid. Ridiculous.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    It's because its Aston Villa bidding that £5 million is being quoted, if United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool were the team bidding it would start around £10million at least. Everyone knows that Arsenal won't pay stupid money so £10 million would put them off, Liverpool can't afford £10 million, but both those clubs would do business at £5 million and well whether you are Reading selling Doyle, Bayern selling Hargreaves or Man City selling Richards you are going to try to get every penny out of Chelsea and United so you are going to quote huge prices that they will pay in the end
    Exactly Jebus. Mourinho has said the minute Chelsea show an interest, the price rockets.

Nothing to do with the player being English: I suppose Shevcenko is English It's who the buyer is.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nothing at all to do with a player being english although yes they are over priced remember duff went to chelsea for £17million does anybody think he's worth that i don't...
    Magic moments for the Republic of Ireland ...Commentator Barry Davies ...june 1988!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Put it this way, Sheffield Utd have just had a bid of £6 mill turned down by Preston for yer man Nugent who, as far as I know, hasn't even scored as many goals in the Championship this year as Doyle has in the Premiership!
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Exactly Jebus. Mourinho has said the minute Chelsea show an interest, the price rockets.

Nothing to do with the player being English: I suppose Shevcenko is English It's who the buyer is.
    It's definitely to do with players being English, any other explanation is rubbish. Shevchenko was regarded as one of the best strikers in the world so its unlikely anyone would have got him on the cheap. He still however cost only as much as Rooney when Rooney only had a handful of English caps so that in itself should speak volumes.

Arsenal swapped Ashley Cole for Gallas plus 5 million I think. Gallas is an infinitely better player than Cole. Why then was he swapped for Cole plus 5 million? C'mon man. English players are horrendously overpriced while Irish players are underpriced. Transfer values are often more about the player's nationality than his ability, with English being particularly expensive followed by Brazilians, Italians, Spanish, French etc. It's very rare for a player from a smaller footballing nation to go for a large amount of money yet small nations often produce at least a couple of top players. Anyone who watches football would agree. Maybe it's to do with the marketing value of the players which will be higher for English players than most other nationalities due to their far reaching media and the (unjustified) hype it generates.
    Last edited by youngirish; 10/01/2007 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    It's definitely to do with players being English, any other explanation is rubbish. Shevchenko was regarded as one of the best strikers in the world so its unlikely anyone would have got him on the cheap. He still however cost only as much as Rooney when Rooney only had a handful of English caps so that in itself should speak volumes.

Arsenal swapped Ashley Cole for Gallas plus 5 million I think. Gallas is an infinitely better player than Cole. Why then was he swapped for Cole plus 5 million? C'mon man. English players are horrendously overpriced while Irish players are underpriced. Transfer values are often more about the player's nationality than his ability, with English being particularly expensive followed by Brazilians, Italians, Spanish, French etc. It's very rare for a player from a smaller footballing nation to go for a large amount of money yet small nations often produce at least a couple of top players. Anyone who watches football would agree. Maybe it's to do with the marketing value of the players which will be higher for English players than most other nationalities due to their far reaching media and the (unjustified) hype it generates.

I think in both cases age rather than nationality was the reason for the price difference.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Gallas is only a couple of years older than Cole so that hardly should come into it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    to be honest don't think chelsea had much choice in selling gallas but i know for a fact chelsea fans would rather have kept gallas than bring in cashley cole of course arsenal got the better deal.english players are overpriced but then again it also depends who the buyer is
    Magic moments for the Republic of Ireland ...Commentator Barry Davies ...june 1988!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    put it another way was he really worth 70,000 grand odd a few months back?

I applaud what Cork have done with O Donovan - say it loud and say it clear - pay the fcking value england or fck the fck off you racist anti Irish barstards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post

I applaud what Cork have done with O Donovan - say it loud and say it clear - pay the fcking value england or fck the fck off you racist anti Irish barstards
    your just a bigot!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post

A little harsh but true, i think this only the begining of an eircom league exodus,does anyone think the likes of Crowe or Byrne would have any impact at championship level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On what evidence do you think there will be an exodus?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    There is a huge overvaluation of English players, but this is actually hurting the England team. The reason that Wenger buys foreign players (and to an extent Liverpool is the ridculous valuation.) I would say that 5 million for Doyle in a European sense is not far off at this stage. If you compare it to prices for English players it is far too low.

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast