Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1306

Thread: Kevin Doyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The point is, ROG was phoned. That's what I am saying, before the squad was announced. Of course you don't have an issue, but I know your sort, and I can be sure you would be one of those on a rugby forum jumping up and down saying disgraceful that ROG wasn't phoned or spoken to(either before squad announcement or to be let known that he was going to be dropped) bla bla.
    so what if he was phoned?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Edited
    Last edited by barney; 21/03/2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Misread the post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    The article is, I'm assuming it's accurate.

Even if taken out of context, Doyle is no fool and revealing the means of his dropping or talking about it at all he would have known how the press would run with that. In the buildup to a do or die qualification week it's very poor form to try and feed the negative media with something irrelevant to the squad. My opinion has lowered of him, that's not something any team player would do.
    So, you're blaming Doyle for the press twisting his words and loading undue significance onto something he mentioned in passing? Actually, you're going as far to question Doyle's pedigree as a team player? I think you're being grossly unfair on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    presumably Ward was informed by text he wasn't in the squad either.

where's the fury at the disrespect shown to him??
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Ward is a very poor player by international standards. Doyle has been a mainstay in the team for many many years now. That's why there is outrage.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So only the best players deserve phone calls? Communication is only poor if the player being communicated with has reached a certain standard of performance? Trap's communication with players is obviously poor but this is a complete non-issue.

7. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    So only the best players deserve phone calls? Communication is only poor if the player being communicated with has reached a certain standard of performance? Trap's communication with players is obviously poor but this is a complete non-issue.
    When did Ward take over for Kilbane? It really wasn't that long ago. Doyle has been a first choice player since when, 2006?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So what? He'll be back in the next squad. People are so melodramatic.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    In my view, every player dropped from the original 29 should have gotten a call. Whether it's Ward, Doyle or anyone else. You can't have one rule for one and one for another. Particularly based on something as subjective as their ability or even on how long they've been in the squad.

Trap got it wrong in my view. Not disastrously wrong but wrong nonetheless. Coming on the heels of so many spats with players, it's hard to see how anyone can say that there aren't issues with his style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    A phonecall should be made.
    But that's not to say that if a player is unceremoniously dumped by text he should be bitching about it.
    I've never heard any of the Rugby lads moan when they were dropped, and you can guarantee they were furious.
    Shows a slight lack of class and composure to give out when dropped.

I disagree with him being dropped and I disagree with letting people know by text but...take it like a man!
    Can't imagine, either, if Kevin Moran had been dropped in the early 90s he would have 'expressed his disappointment' with a newspaper
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Can't imagine, either, if Kevin Moran had been dropped in the early 90s he would have 'expressed his disappointment' with a newspaper
    Didn't Doyle say it to his club website (something Moran would never have had to face) and the journalists just ran with it?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A text is more personal than a fax to the player's club; like how it was done in the oul' days...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    A text is more personal than a fax to the player's club; like how it was done in the oul' days...
    Yeah but that doesn't make it right.

How many people were on here defending Roy Keane and his views and would share your view above? Personally, I detest Keane but he was looking for higher standards from the FAI. This is an example of it for me. Whether they used to find out in the newspaper, on teletext or by fax doesn't make texting right. Let's not just look for "ah tis better than the old days" if the old days were crap and now we are just less crap.

I'm not having a go at you Danny because I don't know your personal views but it's typical of this country to talk the talk about higher standards but when it comes to doing something about it, settling for second/third/fourth best.

30 mins of Trap's time is all this would have taken. It would have helped his relationship with those players when he does call them back in. That's good management with an eye on the consequences of your immediate actions and an eye on the longer term. It's a small thing but he got it wrong and has given the media another stick to beat him with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Didn't Doyle say it to his club website (something Moran would never have had to face) and the journalists just ran with it?
    I still think a player should be cute enough to say 'no comment' or something like 'i always want to play for my country and will continue to do everything i can to get back into the squad'.

A player making a comment about how he is disappointed not getting a phonecall can easily get tisted by the media.
    Kevin got off lucky in fact. The media could have really given this legs if they wanted.
    Imagine Darron Gibson or Stephen Kelly had made the same statement
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Trap informed Doyle of his omission from the final cut by text, but that's not to say he will be in touch with the player within the next couple of weeks to discuss future plans and the like. He will no doubt be in contact with Doyle again, where they can discuss matters together if necessary. Doyle isn't a pressing matter at this exact moment in time. I don't mean for that to sound dismissive of Doyle's tremendous commitment either, but, at the moment, the focus for Trap must be on the team he has selected for a crucial World Cup qualifier. That's this Friday evening, in case this "scandal" has caused it to slip from anyone's mind...

I'm not defending Trap's method in the sense of it being "at least better than the old days"; I'm defending it because it's adequate and succinct, irrespective of what procedures were utilised in the past. It communicates the message sufficiently. Doyle knows what is required of him already in order to get back into Trap's selection and once he does that, it will be appropriate for Trap to discuss plans and other things in greater detail with him. People are complaining that a text is cold and impersonal. It's not at all, especially if one considers the norm of either sending a fax in the past, or even not contacting a player who hasn't been selected at all. A text can be entirely professional. If anything, Trap has done more than what is required of him in this instance.

It's just such a non-issue, I find it hard to believe people are allowing it to provoke them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Trap informed Doyle of his omission from the final cut by text, but that's not to say he will be in touch with the player within the next couple of weeks to discuss future plans and the like. He will no doubt be in contact with Doyle again, where they can discuss matters together if necessary. Doyle isn't a pressing matter at this exact moment in time. I don't mean for that to sound dismissive of Doyle's tremendous commitment either, but, at the moment, the focus for Trap must be on the team he has selected for a crucial World Cup qualifier. That's this Friday evening, in case this "scandal" has caused it to slip from anyone's mind...

I'm not defending Trap's method in the sense of it being "at least better than the old days"; I'm defending it because it's adequate and succinct, irrespective of what procedures were utilised in the past. It communicates the message sufficiently. Doyle knows what is required of him already in order to get back into Trap's selection and once he does that, it will be appropriate for Trap to discuss plans and other things in greater detail with him. People are complaining that a text is cold and impersonal. It's not at all, especially if one considers the norm of either sending a fax in the past, or even not contacting a player who hasn't been selected at all. A text can be entirely professional. If anything, Trap has done more than what is required of him in this instance.

It's just such a non-issue, I find it hard to believe people are allowing it to provoke them.
    We'll agree to disagree so.

I know what you're saying but I think Trap could have handled it better. In a vacuum, people naturally assume the worst and a text sort of creates a vacuum in my view because Doyle (and the others) don't really have a chance to respond. Even if that's only for a short time and Trap contacts them later, those feelings can fester and become a problem.

That notwithstanding, it is being blown up by people pursuing an agenda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm sure Trap didn't text incognito. Doyle has Trap's number too if he feels a response is necessary or appropriate. That wouldn't be out of line, would it?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm sure Trap didn't text incognito. Doyle has Trap's number too if he feels a response is necessary or appropriate. That wouldn't be out of line, would it?
    You certainly don't want to be having that sort of communication via text in my opinion. Too open to misinterpretation.

The onus, for me, is also on Trap to ensure that it is communicated in the best way possible so that, even if Doyle disagrees with the decision and thinks it's completely wrong, he can have no gripe with the manager who has had the balls and courtesy to make the effort to explain it to him.

As a manager, I think that's his duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I don't see why Trap should be under any duty to explain the reason for their omission to omitted players. In fact, one could say the reason might be already pretty obvious and implicitly communicated by the very fact of the omission itself; that the player in question isn't performing well enough to merit a place in the squad. Doyle could always reply via text and request and phone discussion. There's no reason to assume that Trap wouldn't be willing to accommodate such a request from someone he values as a player. That would be assuming that Doyle had taken issue with Trap's method in the first place. Do we know for certain that Trap hasn't actually spoken to Doyle in greater detail since anyway? He at least specified to the media that he has future plans for Doyle, so there's no doubt they will be in communication in the near future.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I don't see why Trap should be under any duty to explain the reason for their omission to omitted players. In fact, one could say the reason might be already pretty obvious and implicitly communicated by the very fact of the omission itself; that the player in question isn't performing well enough to merit a place in the squad. Doyle could always reply via text and request and phone discussion. There's no reason to assume that Trap wouldn't be willing to accommodate such a request from someone he values as a player. That would be assuming that Doyle had taken issue with Trap's method in the first place. Do we know for certain that Trap hasn't actually spoken to Doyle in greater detail since anyway? He at least specified to the media that he has future plans for Doyle, so there's no doubt they will be in communication in the near future.
    The reason he should explain it is because he is going to recall those players at some stage. If he has p!ssed those players off now (which he appears to have done), then he may not get as much out of them in the future. You can say that's not very professional from them but it's human nature. He's paid to manage and in my opinion, that's part of management.

He has also given the media a big stick to beat him with and the FAI too if they want to. The media have blown it out of proportion but he has a history of communication issues - why feed that monster for the sake of 30 minutes?

Trap hasn't done anyone any favours here - least of all himself. He hasn't managed this situation well.

I'm a defender of his but he should have handled this better.

Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast