Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Doyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    With regards prices for EL players, it's the same in the SPL. Rangers got a 30 goal a season striker for £300k from Kilmarnock. They've also put in a bid of £150k for Falkirk's best player, Alan Gow. Hibs are the only team that seem to be making sure they're getting decent prices but that's because they're now in a good financial state.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think its the way english clubs look at the LOI is actions that bordering on racist.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    right I'm referring to specific remarks by English managers.
    Its an attitude - its quite prevalent in the English game - and its the attitude that underlines valuations of million pound players at 70,000 euro just because they're paddys, micks, murphys etc etc.

Any Irish person here saying "that's what they're worth/ they're unproven in England" is an Uncle Tom. Thats the way I feel on this matter. The Uncle Toms can take it or leave it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I dont think that English clubs are racist, they just geniunely think that the eircom league is the same standard as the conference and much of it is based on the fact that half the teams in the eircom prem are part-time with the rest gone full time just recently, just like the conference division in England. If Eircom League clubs think that offers are derisory they should just not accept them its as simple as that. As with the offer for Doyle the important thing to note here is that the offer was turned down so Reading obviously rate have a higher price on him. The figures for Ashley Young etc are pie in the sky they have not been offered and are just to scare away potential buyers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    Its an attitude - its quite prevalent in the English game - and its the attitude that underlines valuations of million pound players at 70,000 euro just because they're paddys, micks, murphys etc etc.

Any Irish person here saying "that's what they're worth/ they're unproven in England" is an Uncle Tom. Thats the way I feel on this matter. The Uncle Toms can take it or leave it.
    Thats just stupid. If you're buying a car that you know can get for 20,000 euros why would you offer to pay 100,000 euros for it? It's the same with players. Why would a team pay a million pounds for a player they know they can get for 70,000? They are a business not a charity.

Until the selling EL clubs say, "no, Kevin Doyle is worth 1 million and we wont take any less", then this sort of thing will keep going on. And that has nothing to do with racism. It's just business.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    A player is worth what someone is willing to pay. No-one was willing to pay a million for Doyle, so I don't see how he was a million pound player. This has nothing to do with Reading and everything to do with Cork. Given they knew they were going to have to sell Doyle why didnt they put a bit of effort into 'selling' him to other clubs for e.g. 500,000. There must be 200 clubs in Europe who could pay that fee.

My view on this is Reading come across as a shrewd club who bought a player at a bargain rate, and then developed him. Cork come across as a club who have no knowledge or interest in the value of their prime assets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    A player is worth what someone is willing to pay. No-one was willing to pay a million for Doyle, so I don't see how he was a million pound player. This has nothing to do with Reading and everything to do with Cork. Given they knew they were going to have to sell Doyle why didnt they put a bit of effort into 'selling' him to other clubs for e.g. 500,000. There must be 200 clubs in Europe who could pay that fee.

My view on this is Reading come across as a shrewd club who bought a player at a bargain rate, and then developed him. Cork come across as a club who have no knowledge or interest in the value of their prime assets.

theres a whole history of how he came to have that clause inserted in his contract

i cant be arsed goin on about it but will you can the "developed him" cráp
    he scored a few tap ins and pennos against players you've seen on telly, he's no better now than he was 18 months ago

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    i cant be arsed goin on about it but will you can the "developed him" cráp
    he scored a few tap ins and pennos against players you've seen on telly, he's no better now than he was 18 months ago
    No he's scored against some of the world's best defenders and is one of the top 3 scorers in arguably the best league in the world. Now you may argue that any top eL striker would do that with no development but I'd be surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you know in many ways
    me and you are very different people.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

If you are not prepared to be rational and debate rationally then you have no place on a discussion board.

Calling someone an "Uncle Tom" because they dare introduce logic and reason into a discussion is intellectually and morally untenable.

You are an unpleasant poster.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    If you are not prepared to be rational and debate rationally then you have no place on a discussion board.

Calling someone an "Uncle Tom" because they dare introduce logic and reason into a discussion is intellectually and morally untenable.

You are an unpleasant poster.

cheers your a barrel of laughs yourself

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

I'll let ye on on a little known secret. CCFC inserted the clause in his contract as means of attracting interest from foreign clubs. At that stage we also got a 10% sell on clause which if Reading had accepted the bid from Aston Villa would have meant an addition 750-800k to Cork City. basically we accepted a low initial payment in exchange for sell on clause as we knew he'd be a star.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'll let ye on on a little known secret. CCFC inserted the clause in his contract as means of attracting interest from foreign clubs. At that stage we also got a 10% sell on clause which if Reading had accepted the bid from Aston Villa would have meant an addition 750-800k to Cork City. basically we accepted a low initial payment in exchange for sell on clause as we knew he'd be a star.

Which seems a good idea, except I was under the impression that the contract didnt require a sell on clause in any sale, which makes it a bit of a risk, or was that not the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    5 million for Doyle? If they double that figure then Reading might start thinking about it.......I hope he stays at Reading for a good while yet, he's happy there and it looks a fantastic set up. Villa have the opinion of themselves that they are a top 4 Prem club and would demand an intstant return from the lad.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Villa are a garbage club, if/when he moves it should only to be a starter at club that plays Champions League football or if Reading get relegated.
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    cheers your a barrel of laughs yourself
    At least I attempt to apply logic to a situation rather than an emotive response.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    5 million for Doyle? If they double that figure then Reading might start thinking about it.......I hope he stays at Reading for a good while yet, he's happy there and it looks a fantastic set up. Villa have the opinion of themselves that they are a top 4 Prem club and would demand an intstant return from the lad.
    Doyle should stay put for the moment. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    the criteria for value should not be whether a player is a full international, but rather the form they are in. obviously this is why doyle is highly valued at the moment. just because a player has earned caps for his country does not mean his value should shoot up, though it invariably will. the transfers of irish players have usually occured when they have gone through patchy club form with the result that their value has not been upheld just because they have represented us.

[QUOTE=youngirish;602361]Not sure what you're on about here for full internationals the vast majority of these transfer fees are ridiculously low. How many England (even peripheral) players go for less than 5 million? None. Jermaine Jenas who is a poorer player by any standards than the vast majority of those listed above cost nearly 9 million ffs. During the summer Jermaine Pennant was 2 millions pounds more expensive than Duff????????? He is f**king terrible.

Are all English Internationals better players than Irish internationals? Not a hope. Some of their peripheral players in particular are pure sh*te.QUOTE]

Blind nationalism. it is much easier to be a regular irish international (kilbane didnt miss a game for three years or something!) jenas would be a dead cert in our midfield, i cant believe you could suggest otherwise. a good taker of chances with abundant energy and a decent passer and his age justify a hefty price

of course some players will slip through to become 'internationals', steve guppy, michael gray, gavin mccann have engalnd caps, while of course we have micky evans, paul butler..but the comparison between such players shows the difference in standards.

on the mediocre scale of things england internationals that would be in and around the ireland team who, like irish players are transferred between average clubs, are not ridiculously priced for the most part. danny murphy £2m twice, luke young £4m, darius vassell £2m, trevor sinclair £2.5m, in other words comparable to similar calibre irish players. the only irish player who has gone to a top club recently is duff, who like carrick,hargreaves,SWP was outrageously priced. reading could probably extract £15m from utd if they wanted doyle, but thats not the case atm

i dont see the racism, if anything there may be an element of leaguism but doyle is convincing the perpetrators of such, debatable, crimes that they may need to re-evaluate their outlook.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    In the short term I can see how the Eircom League feels they are being taken for a ride. However, if a couple more of these players make that sort of breakthrough then I reckon it wouldn't be too long before the prices start to rise to the £1-£2m mark, similar to what has happened in the Norwegian league over the last decade or more. And that money reinvested into the league could only be a good thing longterm.

Perhaps Long may yet make it, took his goal brilliantly the other night.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post

Doesn't this sort of sh*t bother people? It's not me being anti-English, the simple fact is if Doyle was born in Walthamstow instead of Wexford then there wouldn't be a serious bid of less than 15 mill for him for the same run of form that he's had at 23. Ridiculous.
    The fact is that when a majority of Irish people slate our own league this is what happens. Was Doyle only worth £70,000 when at Cork? Of course not but English clubs regard the eircom League as part-time non-league football and why should they think any different when more people in Ireland are interested in supporting Man United and Celtic than local football?

Since Doyle has signed there seems to have been a stream of players flowing to the UK, some very average ones are joining and getting straight into SPL teams. SPL clubs have copped on to the fact that there are bargains to be had here so hopefully this can change and the value of Irish players will go up.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast