Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Doyle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It had nothing to do with Doyle's nationality, it had everything to do with the escape clause in Doyle's contract.
    Doyle a) Would not have gone for anything near 1 million with or without an escape clause and b) only had such an escape clause because Cork probably thought that no one would pay over the odds to get him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I also wouldn't even compare Andy Johnson to Doyle. Johnson is another example of overrated England International.
    I actually think Johnson is very underrated. He certainly was before joining Everton anyway. All his peno's, bar 1 or 2, were won by himself anyway and this season he doesn't take them. I personally think he's an excellent player and better than Jermaine Defoe.

Quote Originally Posted by youngirish
    Doyle a) Would not have gone for anything near 1 million with or without an escape clause and b) only had such an escape clause because Cork probably thought that no one would pay over the odds to get him.
    Should Reading have paid Cork an extra few hundred grand for the sake of it? If teams can get EL players for cheap it's up to the Irish clubs to increase the prices.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 10/01/2007 at 4:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    My point is valid - the transfer fee paid was due to the clause in his contract. If he was Norwegian, Dutch or French it wouldn't have mattered, he was available for 70,000 so Reading took a chance on him.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wrong and wrong

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Doyle would not have signed his previous contract extension without the clause. If the clause was 300k or something I don't think would have been so bad. The club has learned from this & played hardball on other top players contracts since. We did at least manage to get 10% sell on clauses into Doyles & Longs contracts.

Ipswich have had O'Callaghan for 2-3 months already on trial while we paid his wages. They know what they getting now & soem quotes suggesting he'll be part of matchday squad straight away. If they up their bid by 20-30k deal will be done. Theres a quote from Magilton too where he says would have been interested in O'Donovan until he saw other clubs also sniffing around & he'd miss out of snatching him for a bargain.

Shels don't have a choice now but selling Dillon for pittance won't help their chances in future years of getting decent transfer fees. Its a balancing act but the next transfer fee will be impacted by what accepted for the previous one.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Won't a 10% sell on clause on Doyle's contract take some of the sting away?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Won't a 10% sell on clause on Doyle's contract take some of the sting away?
    Yes.

There was no onus on Reading to add this but I think City got it added to assist a quick deal. Reading knew a few other clubs sniffing around at that time. Sell on clauses no lose when buying at low prices as if sell on at high price just means have to share some of the profit...

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post

plus ca change
    surely nobody who speaks french could be classed as a bigot????????????

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    So much emotive nonsense in this thread. Really, are we in the 21st century or is it back to "poor old Ireland" and "prefidious albion".

Let's put this into perspective.

1. A lot of English players may indeed be over-valued. I put this down to the fact that a lot of clubs want English players because their main market is England. Put another way, many English fans want to see English players play for their local team. Not an unreasonable position. This has led to price-inflation vis-a-vis English players.

2. The English leagues are a business pure and simply. They will pay the least amount they can for the best assets. If that means they can strip-mine smaller leagues like the EL or a Swedish league then they will do so. That's not racist that's just good business.

3. The EL is too incompetant and too small of a league to do anything about this. In essence, the clubs are so badly run that they'll take whatever they can get. It isn't racist for English clubs to make low-ball offers, it's just good business.

4. Lastly, the English league is still a competitive market. Villa made an offer of 5M for Doyle and it was promptly rejected. Martin O'Neill is Irish so is he now racist against his own? No he isn't. He chanced his arm on the basis that maybe Reading would be willing to part with Doyle now that Lita is on fire. Again, it's business. Stop making into something it isn't just to push your own agenda.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post

2. The English leagues are a business pure and simply. They will pay the least amount they can for the best assets. If that means they can strip-mine smaller leagues like the EL or a Swedish league then they will do so. That's not racist that's just good business.

read coppells comments
    read atkinsons comments to the irish manager who sold him mcgrath

in my book its a condascending/patronising - as close to racist as you like.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Reading boss Steve Coppell has revealed that a touch of the hard stuff appears to work wonders for his scouting methods. Speaking about a trip to Ireland to take a look at club hot shot Kevin Doyle over the summer, the former Crystal Palace boss explained his perspective on the new signing was slightly affected by a traditional pre-game trip to the pub. "I can't really remember what it was that I particularly liked about him," said Coppell. "I had five pints of Guinness in the afternoon and it was all a bit blurred!"

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    read coppells comments
    read atkinsons comments to the irish manager who sold him mcgrath

I have read Coppell's comments and is says more about Coppell than anything else. A huge percentage of all forms of business is done over a drink. Not sure what you do for a living but in my industry drinking plays a significant role in client/business development and deal consumation. I am very confident it is true in most other businesses as well.

As for Atkinson, well that transfer is more than 20 years ago yet you want to hold it up as the paragon of the current game? Give me a break.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    The 21M price on Hargreaves is Bayern's valuation to the great dismay of Fergie. Chelski paid 17M for Duff. Robbie Keane has had big sums paid for him. Kennedy was the most expensive teenager in British history at one point and so was Robbie keane. As for the 5M price for Doyle, please remember this is Villa you're talking about...

As a rule richer clubs are forced to play more money than smaller clubs for the players of equal talent.

Carrick's transfer fee I'm sure puzzled everyone but Fergie was desperate to get players last summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    This talk of low transfer fees of Irish players due to racism is nonsense. Players who come from the Eircom League or any other "smaller" league are seen as being unproven because they have not played regulary at a higher standard of football.

What about the transfers of Duff(£17m, £5m), Carr(£2m), Finnan(€4.9m), Andy Reid(£3m), Carsley(£1.9m), Dunne(£3m), S Reid(£1.85m), Kilbane(£1m, £2.5, £1m, £2m), Kennedy(£2.3m, £1.75m, £1, £3m) and of course Robbie Keane (£6m, £13m, £12m, £7m)
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post

What about the transfers of Duff(£17m, £5m), Carr(£2m), Finnan(€4.9m), Andy Reid(£3m), Carsley(£1.9m), Dunne(£3m), S Reid(£1.85m), Kilbane(£1m, £2.5, £1m, £2m), Kennedy(£2.3m, £1.75m, £1, £3m) and of course Robbie Keane (£6m, £13m, £12m, £7m)
    Not sure what you're on about here for full internationals the vast majority of these transfer fees are ridiculously low. How many England (even peripheral) players go for less than 5 million? None. Jermaine Jenas who is a poorer player by any standards than the vast majority of those listed above cost nearly 9 million ffs. During the summer Jermaine Pennant was 2 millions pounds more expensive than Duff????????? He is f**king terrible.

Are all English Internationals better players than Irish internationals? Not a hope. Some of their peripheral players in particular are pure sh*te.

I'm not on a poor Ireland buzz anyway Fergie's son. I agree with the logic of your first point. I don't think Irish players are horrendously underpriced compared to other nationalities. I just know English players are ridiculously overpriced. Most Premiership managers would agree with me btw and have stated as such numerous times so it's not rascist.
    Last edited by youngirish; 11/01/2007 at 9:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Not sure what you're on about here for full internationals the vast majority of these transfer fees are ridiculously low. How many England (even peripheral) players go for less than 5 million? None. Jermaine Jenas who is a poorer player by any standards than the vast majority of those listed above cost nearly 9 million ffs. During the summer Jermaine Pennant was 2 millions pounds more expensive than Duff????????? He is f**king terrible.

Chelsea wanted to sell , Birmingham didnt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    6 figures for Irish players from the EL is now the norm
    as I stated here yesterday

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    For a young first team player of a similar stature to Jim Beglin (£50,000 '81) and Tony Cousins (£70,000 '90), shouldn't the norm be greater than €500,000 these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah 6 figures

ya can put a 5 on the top if ya like,,,,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I agree that certain players are over-hyped and over-priced just because they are English, but I'd mostly agree with Fergie's Son's points.

The other point that EL players are seen as unproven by bigger English clubs might be hard to swallow for some EL fans, when said player has European experience and underage international caps. I wouldn't call that racisim I'd just call it ignorance. Naturally enough the English underage scene is followed more closely in England than the Irish underage scene and the increased hype associated with this coverage has a knock-on effect of increasing a player's value compared to an underage player for another country (not just Ireland). The fact that EL teams involvement in European games is limited to the qualification rounds is also a factor because your average English football fan or so-called pundit/expert/scout is only interested in the business end of European competitions. Trying to negotiate at least 500,000 for a player on these grounds is not so easy. Just because the Irish media and many punters are in love with English football doesn't mean that English media and puters give a flying f*ck about the domestic football scene in Ireland (or any other small league). The best EL teams can do is negotiate hard on the contract clauses i.e.
    Pay us 100,000 if he scores more than X goals in a season
    If he get's an international cap pay us another 100,000.
    If you get promoted in a season where he plays more than 20 games pay us another 100,000.
    If you sell him we get 10 to 15 % of the selling fee.
    And so on...

That way both sides are on a winner.

Until EL teams start reaching the knock-out stages of Europe and/or another 5 Doyle-type success stories emerge it will be very difficult to see them breaking the 1 million euro barrier. Of course another possibility is if an EL team manages to hang onto a player until he becomes a regular starter for the Irish international team but that'S also very unlikely at the moment.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 11/01/2007 at 10:07 AM.

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast