Thread: Best Football Book?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Also heard 'we are rovers is excellent'

joking aside is there much in this book about the league in general or is it 100% srfc as the title suggests ?
    It's basically a history of Shamrock Rovers, with the "plot" (for want of a better word) being alternately moved along by the author (Eoghan Rice) and then by quotes from players, managers, fans, etc of the time. Other clubs only really feature when they play Rovers in an important match (which is understandable, obviously). A very enjoyable read though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Read the book about the New York Cosmos "Once in a Lifetime" over Christmas. Reasonably enjoyable, particularly in setting in context why the Yanks don't get soccer (and continue not to get it) but were absolutely captivated by Pele.

Currently going through Jimmy Burns Barca, (which I am enjoying immensely, but more from a historical and political sense and his writing style can be hard going) and have McGraths book, Brilliant Orange, Calcio, Morbo and the Behind the European Curtain one still to go.

Of the others I've read, Castel del Sangro and A Season with Verona were both good reads, Forza Italia was just about bearable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I've been meaning to get that New York Cosmos one. Cheers for the reminder
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    This sounds like a sad, sad pile of slurry written by a self-indulgent neanderthal. What in the name of all that's sacred is there to like about a bloke writing about wandering around smashing things up and attacking people for no particular reason? The blurb above makes it sound like this was some kind of achievement, instead of just some sad-arsed overgrown toddler stroking off over tales of his "heroics".

I didn't write the synopsis, simply coppied and pasted it off a website. If you read the book you wil find that the guy hated firms and people who attacked any innocent supporters and also hatted firms that used blades or lots of weapons to attack people. I'm not try to glorify the guy just adding the book, which I found enjoyable to the ones already listed which does include several other hooligan books.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cascarino [with Kimmage]
    Keane [with Dunphy]
    Quinn [surprized me, this one and had the great Whiteside/Pele story]

Fever Pitch
    Castre Di Sangro
    McGrath [the first book - Ohh Ahh PMcG]

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Robin Friday is a legend. Book is co-written by Oasis' old drummer Guigsey and self-regarding mod spoofer Paolo Hewitt.
    There is no bandwagon that Oasis hangers on won't get on, in this case the Super Furry Animals who had him on the cover of The Man Don't Give A F**k.

Got My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes for Christmas. So far so excellent.

Really, really, really hated The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro. Fever Pitch is the story of a part timer and was lucky to fit the time imo (that's not to take away from some of his other stuff like High Fidelty which I thought was excellent).

The Tony O'Neill book is good for that genre, and does correct a lot of lies that have been doing the rounds since the hoolie books started. At least I know he walked the walk. Not sure I'll get the follow up given his attitude to FCUM, but probably will at some point as it'll be coming round to my era.

My personal favourites would be:
    1) A Strange Kind of Glory - Dunphy's biog of Busby
    2) Betrayal of a Legend - Michael Crick & David Smith, (disgusted that I couldn't find my copy at me mam's place on my last visit)
    Too many contenders for 3rd place tbh, but so far the Imlach book would be right up there.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Fever Pitch is the story of a part timer and was lucky to fit the time imo (that's not to take away from some of his other stuff like High Fidelty which I thought was excellent)
    Fever Pitch is a brilliant novel and if it wasn't deemed by many as the quintessential guide to a football fanatic, I'm pretty sure every football would love it. But the fact he's a part timer means I barely even class it as a football book. Brilliant read though, just like everything else Hornby's written
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Got You are the Ref for my brother & tempted to get version for myself. Amazing football art & good test of football laws. Highly recommended.

Got this in return & interesting too.
    Last edited by pete; 18/04/2007 at 6:03 PM.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am really interested to see that noone rates McGrath's new one. I have noticed a few little errors but thats understandable.

I have only about a chapter to go but I have found it to be an incredible book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbleddyman View Post
    I am really interested to see that noone rates McGrath's new one. I have noticed a few little errors but thats understandable.

Just finished it and I thought it was a good read.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbleddyman View Post

I don't think that it's the case that most people don't rate it bleddyman (If I may make so bold...). I reckon that loads of us got it for Christmas and haven't finished it, or even started it, yet is all.
    I'm near the end now and think it's a great book, one of the best footie biogs I've ever read.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I got the McGrath book but haven't started it yet. Somehow I thought that Christmas wasn't exactly the best time to start it given the subject matter.

Much better to read it now when I've started my annual abstemious streak(fortnight).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Just finishing Brilliant Orange (almost too obtuse and try hard intellectual for its own good, but short enough to plough through) and Only a Game by Dunphy, which is a very short sharp read but as others have said above is way ahead of its time in many ways. Given he was 28 when he wrote it makes it even more remarkable, although even then he was suffering from bouts of know-it-all syndrome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It wouldn't be in my top three or anything, but there's some good essays in "My Favourite Year", edited by Nick Hornby. It leans more to the obsessional devotee side of things, with pieces contributed by long-standing, long-suffering fans of Watford, Raith Rovers and the like.

It starts off with a piece by Roddy Doyle on Ireland in Italia 90 which, though not bad in general terms, utterly fails to draw the connection between O'Leary's peno in the afternoon and the most bizarrely inappropriate party atmosphere on a Free The Birmingham 6 march in Dublin later that night.
    Revenge for 2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    who stole our game is very good and I highly recommend it...proper book..i'm also trying to get through football against the enemy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to admit i have just finished "singing the Blues" by Bryan Kennedy and its the best footie book i have read in ages, it starts off with a local blues head contemplating suicide cos the girl he was with took him for all he worth and he still wanted her back so the author started bringing him to blues matches to recover ,lol, an amazing read, the editions have all sold out locally and brian has had to order e re-run such is the demand for it down here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub View Post
    It starts off with a piece by Roddy Doyle on Ireland in Italia 90 which, though not bad in general terms, utterly fails to draw the connection between O'Leary's peno in the afternoon and the most bizarrely inappropriate party atmosphere on a Free The Birmingham 6 march in Dublin later that night.
    The only non club piece in the book. His favourite football year ever is based on 4 draws and a defeat...

Just to stoke up that debate again.
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Not sure I'll get the follow up given his attitude to FCUM, but probably will at some point as it'll be coming round to my era.
    OT, but has there really been serious falling-out over FCUM? I was over for a game a while back, heard stuff, saw anti Glazer stuff and also "anti-splitter" stuff, but thought it was all just talk. Beneath the "splitter ****s" lark is there not still sympathy for FCUM?
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover View Post
    who stole our game is very good and I highly recommend it...proper book..i'm also trying to get through football against the enemy...
    Just started Who Stole Our Game? today, and from what I got through it looks interesting! Also, Football Against Enemy is up next for me too!
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Can't recommed Calcio by John Foot highly enough. Excellent book with quite a big look at the fan culture over there for those of you into that sort of thing.

Steer clear of Agnew. Haven't read it but the fact that he implies in the pictures in the centre that Livorno fans are facist (They look like Roma jerseys to me Paddy) says it all about that tome

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast