Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: E**com Jerseys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

E**com Jerseys

Why are we all walking advertisements for this company? As far as I know .. and I could be very wrong on this .. but no other national jersey in the whole world has got a sponsor on it. At least with the old OPEL jerseys, you could rip off the letters .. but with this one .. you would have to burn it in some way to remove it.

I'm sure this has been discussed before ... but thought it needs to be aired again. I suppose the extra revenue helps pay for extension to certain bigwigs contracts until 2012... while we walk around like clowns in Amsterdam, Paris etc.

I wear the retro jersey with no sponsor .. or one of the old jerseys .. not getting on the merrygoround of a new jersey every six months .. slight exagerration.

rant over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    where do you get the Retro one? wouldn't mind one of the old o'neills ones with the shamrock crest and 3 stripes on the slieve - white ones on the outside and yellow in the middle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    where do you get the Retro one? wouldn't mind one of the old o'neills ones with the shamrock crest and 3 stripes on the slieve - white ones on the outside and yellow in the middle.
    http://www.toffs.com/icat/eire

A good place to start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Until people start supporting football in this country, the FAI has to make money somewhere. Before anyone starts moaning I'm not having a pop at any individuals, just stating a fact
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There's defo a place to get a replica of the classic Ireland jersey circa Euro '88 and I don't think its on the website above....any suggestions? wouldn't mind gettin my hands on that one....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Until people start supporting football in this country, the FAI has to make money somewhere. Before anyone starts moaning I'm not having a pop at any individuals, just stating a fact
    Other countrys give fans an option and I think that's what sticks in the craw.

The dutch I believe used sell a cut price replica shirt with an ad on it and a ad-less one for full whack.

Smaller countrys than ours -like Wales and NI -with comparable paltry support (for the domestic game which I think is what you're referring to) let their fans buy shirts without an ad on it.

I don't buy modern/contemporary shirts because of it. Sooner buy an NI one and velcro a badge to it.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Smaller countrys than ours -like Wales and NI -with comparable paltry support (for the domestic game which I think is what you're referring to) let their fans buy shirts without an ad on it.
    True but the eircom deal is worth an awful lot more than their deals.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    There's defo a place to get a replica of the classic Ireland jersey circa Euro '88 and I don't think its on the website above....any suggestions? wouldn't mind gettin my hands on that one....
    Ebay is probably your best bet. You can sometimes get current / recent shirts without sponsors on them but they tend to go for UK£ 40 - 50 because people appreciate that they weren't intended for public sale and are players shirts (U.21 / Junior Games):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ireland-Eire-I...em220046186261

Some of them are fakes like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REPUBLIC-OF-IR...em250049506899

But they're still wearable and most people probably wouldn't notice that they were fakes until they felt the fabric up close (and tried to wash it more than four times!!)

And then there are the older shirts pre 1990 (just make sure it is an XL as 1980s 'L's are much smaller than 'L's now!!):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eire-Ireland-F...em250046906399

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1988-Adidas-IR...em330044016692

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ireland-Eire-C...em220044441028

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I won't buy any of the playing shirts anymore for just that reason. I get the teeshirts or polo shirts with a much less intrusive smaller Eircom logo. There are often the non-Toffs old shirts on eBay, just keep an eye out for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    I've Got the jersey Ray Houghton was actually wearing when he scored against England in stuttgaart. he gave it to the then manager of the Dublin airport hotel who was a friend of my parents he left it to me in his will when he died last year
    you can have it for say €1,000,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    make money so that they can splurge on paying over the odds for a rookie manager and "international consultant"? Not having a pop at yourself, but pointing out the fact that we could live within our means without having to sell our jerseys off to coroporations.

I suppose they could sell flags with an E**com logo on it too .. to make a bit of money too .. surprised nobody has come up with the idea .. or maybe the players could be tatooed with the logo across their foreheads, just in case anyone misses it.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    thought i was only one to think this. i must not be mad then.before french match i cut out logo and sent it to george hook. i wore white tee-shirt under jersey with hole to match as a protest.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    regarding singing of fields of athenry at matches.why do supporters sing a rap version adding in lines that are not in original.they should listen to the munster crowd and learn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micha View Post
    thought i was only one to think this. i must not be mad then.
    There's a thread on it about once a month here. It's something that annoys a lot of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by micha View Post
    thought i was only one to think this. i must not be mad then.before french match i cut out logo and sent it to george hook. i wore white tee-shirt under jersey with hole to match as a protest.

don't understand the Hook connection .. but the white t-shirt under the hole sounds a good idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...