It's the niggly stuff for Cat4 which is a pain in the jocker:

150 VIP car parking spaces
    Media area: 200 m2 for 75 people
    TV gantries/ spots: 10 m2 for 4 cameras
    Press box: 100, 50 with desks
    Commentary postions: 25
    2 TV studios
    4 post match interview areas
    1,000 m2 minimum for outside broadcast (space for RTE vans/ satellite uplinks etc)
    min 75 seater press conference room

Then there's your 8000 capacity of which a couple of hundred have to be VIP, corpo hospitality areas for the bigwigs etc whether they show up or not etc. The youth development centre aka Gerry's funhouse, which the club has ownership now after the hassle with Gerry Matthews got sorted there over the close season, does have an underground car park under it, I can't remember how many spaces it has though.

My pie in the sky thinking has always been:

The shed could be extended the length of the pitch backing onto the YDC properly then something could be done behind the town end looping the shed all the way around to the main stand relatively easily. It would be a massive undertaking to do something to main stand itself though given it's size and that all the offices and the 2 bars, changing rooms etc are in there. Possibility if the YDC is taken into account access to the pitch could be done from that as there's newer changing rooms in there and a bar too. It could also be fitted for the corpo/ VIP stuff too albeit the prawn sandwich brigade would be close to the Mudja then.

Behind the Carrick road end is the access road to the YDC, could probably fit a small stand in there and still leave access ok in behind. The away end can get a new portaloo and a vending machine that sells decent crips and minerals for the away fans

I did this up a good few years ago for the carrick road end just for sh!ts and giggles to see what it would look like:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't see any reason why they should go for an unnecessary Cat 4 stadium on the off chance they'd qualify for group stages again.

Extending the main stand and shed should be done and put whatever corporate facilities they can into those.
    6,000 seats is more than enough for all they need.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I don't see any reason why they should go for an unnecessary Cat 4 stadium on the off chance they'd qualify for group stages again.
    Well said, there's no point in them blowing money unnecessarily to create a Cat4. If the reach the group stages for 3/4 years in a row and look like dominating for a long time then I'd consider it, but not now.

I'd love to see them keep the main stand and just extend the shed so that it wraps right around the pitch to the main stand. To have a ground that's fully enclosed, with seating a roofing on all sides, with some semblance of uniformity would be a real pleasure to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts

Extending the main stand and shed should be done and put whatever corporate facilities they can into those.
    6,000 seats is more than enough for all they need.
    What Dundalk have earned from last years European adventure is a fraction of what would be required for a Cat 4 stadium. This type of stadium would require years of group stage qualification and/or a partnership with the local CC, college, FAI etc.

I doubt we'll ever see a LOI team have a Cat 4 as their longterm home ground in our lifetime

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    What Dundalk have earned from last years European adventure is a fraction of what would be required for a Cat 4 stadium. This type of stadium would require years of group stage qualification and/or a partnership with the local CC, college, FAI etc.

I doubt we'll ever see a LOI team have a Cat 4 as their longterm home ground in our lifetime
    Won't Rovers have one next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

That's exactly my point. There's no problems with teams wanting to show ambition and building a big fancy stadium, but a good Cat 3 stadium should be well achievable for Dundalk on the site of Oriel with fairly small cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Won't Rovers have one next season?
    Tallaght needs special dispensation to host Cat 4 matches and it's not just seating capacity.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The option will be there with the increased capacity to bring the rest of the stadium up to spec but I doubt it will be a priority. They can make temporary measures and get a dispensation should anyone reach group stages again, like Dundalk were granted.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The option will be there with the increased capacity to bring the rest of the stadium up to spec but I doubt it will be a priority. They can make temporary measures and get a dispensation should anyone reach group stages again, like Dundalk were granted.
    Yeah Tallaght would need to get all the press and TV stuff but that's not a big deal to add surely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Adding the extra VIP seating, extra commentary spaces, extra media areas and all the small pieces that are required would take up a huge amount of space. They'd probably need a whole new administration block added into any new stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    I highly doubt Dundalk would go all in spending on a Cat 4 stadium. Whatever work is done would though be with such requirements in mind for the future. If that cannot be done at Oriel then a move will probably happen. At least Oriel is not land locked even if there are others owning the land - arrangements could be forged with DGS for example. Local residents appeals againt planning is the major obstacle. With new development of houses in the area a new road betwwn the Ardee and Carrick Roads is now finally happening which helps but the club could do with being in touch with the builders responsibe to see what trafic could be carried, potential parking etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    That's exactly my point. There's no problems with teams wanting to show ambition and building a big fancy stadium, but a good Cat 3 stadium should be well achievable for Dundalk on the site of Oriel with fairly small cost.
    Yeah I'd agree with this, Cat 3 should be the target for Dundalk, that would easily suit their needs for 90% of matches.

Tallaght did get special dispensation last year, hence the VIP tent outside and probably dozens of other things too.

Need to be realistic too in terms of future years, when planning for increased capacity. If you compare back the decades, 80's fairly successful with 2 leagues including a double, 90's one league title but very poor crowds. The 00's were mostly spent in the FD but with an fai cup win. There were plenty of seasons with nothing, and not forgetting the 2014 league title was the first in 19 years.

Cat 3 totally sufficient for the clubs needs.
    Last edited by oriel; 19/04/2017 at 3:15 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Yeah Tallaght would need to get all the press and TV stuff but that's not a big deal to add surely.
    As mentioned Tallaght got a dispensation to host the group games and that was with a lot of work and money put in by Dundalk, new dugouts, broadband etc. Tallaght is a long way off ticking all the boxes for a Cat 4

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    As mentioned Tallaght got a dispensation to host the group games and that was with a lot of work and money put in by Dundalk, new dugouts, broadband etc. Tallaght is a long way off ticking all the boxes for a Cat 4
    I know that but its hardly a life time away from ticking those boxes once the new stand is done the other requirements are relatively cheap to do I'd imagine.

Edit: I was interested as to what else Rovers would need to do for Category 4 and saw this. I don't know how accurate this guy is being but I'd guess if hes right and not just mistaken it would mean more is going into that stand being built than just the stand itself.

Cllr Charlie O’Connor, who is chairman of the council’s Economic, Enterprise and Tourism Development SPC, warmly welcomed the decision, which will increase capacity at the stadium by 2,150. He said this would facilitate the granting of UEFA category four status, which will make the stadium more attractive for bigger games and other events.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 19/04/2017 at 6:16 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    If (and I guess that's a big if) the Dalymount redevelopment goes all the way to the 10k seater, would that likely include all the stuff needed for Cat 4?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I doubt they'd have room for the car parking space requirements.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    A shame they couldn't put the Brandywell slope to good use.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...inter-olympics
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I know that but its hardly a life time away from ticking those boxes once the new stand is done the other requirements are relatively cheap to do I'd imagine.

Edit: I was interested as to what else Rovers would need to do for Category 4 and saw this. I don't know how accurate this guy is being but I'd guess if hes right and not just mistaken it would mean more is going into that stand being built than just the stand itself.

Cllr Charlie O’Connor, who is chairman of the council’s Economic, Enterprise and Tourism Development SPC, warmly welcomed the decision, which will increase capacity at the stadium by 2,150. He said this would facilitate the granting of UEFA category four status, which will make the stadium more attractive for bigger games and other events.
    When is that O'Connor quote from ? Does that mean that Tallaght has planning permission to be expanded further ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    When is that O'Connor quote from ? Does that mean that Tallaght has planning permission to be expanded further ?
    SDCC are applying to themselves for planning permission so it's pretty much a done deal other than seeking public submissions under Section 8 - http://www.sdublincoco.ie/viewdocume...a-a6a500c58ad2

And Tallaght will be a category 4 UEFA venue on completion of the new stand and ancillary facilities, that's the plan at any rate and no reason to think it won'r be the case.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    SDCC are applying to themselves for planning permission so it's pretty much a done deal other than seeking public submissions under Section 8 - http://www.sdublincoco.ie/viewdocume...a-a6a500c58ad2

And Tallaght will be a category 4 UEFA venue on completion of the new stand and ancillary facilities, that's the plan at any rate and no reason to think it won'r be the case.
    advertised for tender by SDCC last week:

Third Stand, Tallaght Stadium. Construction of a single tier 2,200 spectator stand including all access & seating, ancillary & welfare facilities, mechanical & electrical installations and all necessary site works.