Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 8116

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    If we have learned anything in the LOI when it comes to ground developments over the years ... it would be never trust a 3D computer image. The reality is never the same.
    In fairness Athlone town's 3D image of the new ground was fairly accurate. There were no future plans and still aren't (no need really)
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    30 years today since the last game in Milltown. Shams vs Sligo Rovers in the 1/4 final of the FAI cup

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    30 years today since the last game in Milltown. Shams vs Sligo Rovers in the 1/4 final of the FAI cup
    great pieces in the press today-Daniel McDonnells one in the Indo,The Sun and the Herald. Remember this happening when I was coming to be a teenager and used to listen regularly to Radio 1 regularly to Philip Greenes commentary!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    great pieces in the press today-Daniel McDonnells one in the Indo,The Sun and the Herald. Remember this happening when I was coming to be a teenager and used to listen regularly to Radio 1 regularly to Philip Greenes commentary!
    His completely unbiased and neutral commentary!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    your joking. That tiny stand. What happened the rest of it?? Pathetic
    As a Derry fan I agree.

Apparently we're getting a bar in the ground underneath the new stand which at the phase one stage will only seat 1,100.

The only good thing is the pitch will be almost up close to the current stand which should make for a better atmosphere instead of being 30ft from the edge of the pitch previously.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    As a Derry fan I agree.

Apparently we're getting a bar in the ground underneath the new stand which at the phase one stage will only seat 1,100.

The only good thing is the pitch will be almost up close to the current stand which should make for a better atmosphere instead of being 30ft from the edge of the pitch previously.
    It will be a nice tidy ground when Phase 1 is done and a big improvement on the old place. Least there is room for further expansion down the line. Looking forward to seeing it next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The removal of the (in)famous nine-foot diagonal slope is also a positive development.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    TBF, there is another round of sports stadia funding coming in the next budget (whenever that might be!), and the club seemed fairly confident that the council will get some, so it might not be that wee stand for long.

Obviously though, I'll believe it when I see it.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Latest news is that the Brandywell will still be a grass pitch. The 4g surface will be in the showgrounds where the dog track is being moved too.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Latest news is that the Brandywell will still be a grass pitch. The 4g surface will be in the showgrounds where the dog track is being moved too.
    Surely that's something that must have been decided well in advance they should really have made an announcement if they changed the plans for the type of pitch

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    As a Derry fan I agree.

Aren't the changing rooms and club offices being built under that stand as well, plus I imagine public toilets ? In which case - will there be much room left for a bar ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Out of curiosity, is the any inkling yet about what might be in the works for Oriel. I missed it if there has?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Out of curiosity, is the any inkling yet about what might be in the works for Oriel. I missed it if there has?
    Only information so far is that the lease has been secured from GM (previous owner) along with the YDC's ownership.

When the pitch was replaced the comment was that the club does wish to return to grass in the long term but circumstances dictated it would not be possible. (No real training ground apart from Oriel)

Re redevelopment a feasibility study was being done on the best way forward (redevelopment and issues with planning, green field site)

Personally I don't see where oriel could give us 8k seater we would want without major planning objections from local residents and also being compliant for a category 2

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Only information so far is that the lease has been secured from GM (previous owner) along with the YDC's ownership.

When the pitch was replaced the comment was that the club does wish to return to grass in the long term but circumstances dictated it would not be possible. (No real training ground apart from Oriel)

Re redevelopment a feasibility study was being done on the best way forward (redevelopment and issues with planning, green field site)

Personally I don't see where oriel could give us 8k seater we would want without major planning objections from local residents and also being compliant for a category 2
    Did Dundalk sell the fields around oriel to a school recently or am i getting that mixed up with something else? would be a good place for a training ground with it being beside oriel so facilities could be shared between the stadium and training ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Hiney park beside oriel (was owned by the club up to 06 sold to GM prior to his take over).

This went up for auction in 2014 or 2015 and snapped up by the Grammar school. They do afaik allow the club to use it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    I cant see OP being redeveloped for 8k seating, not just the space restrictions, more so with parking and not just for uefa criteria, more standard planning.

The min seating for UEFA Cat 3 is 4,500 seats, but this rises to 8k for Cat 4, pity there is such a gap as I always thought a 6k seater for OP would be ideal. Cat 3 would still work currently for CL 2 and CL 3, prob changing to CL 1 and CL 2 next season, still two rounds. Bigger games worked ok last season in Dublin.

There is room to build a new stand behind the town goal for example, and probably something smaller behind the other goal. There is a lot more space on the shed size that people realise, but as was mentioned above a lot of this is probably already under review with the feasibility study. The timing with the take over of the lease and full settlement to Louth CC (November I think) meant the priority for 2017 was always going to be the pitch.

The club has always acknowledged that facilities are in urgent need of redevelopment so hopefully we will hear news on the next phase this season.

Dlk train for away games on the grass pitch now owned by a local school, right behind OP and train for home games on the OP pitch.
    Last edited by oriel; 17/04/2017 at 3:16 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Hiney park beside oriel (was owned by the club up to 06 sold to GM prior to his take over).

This went up for auction in 2014 or 2015 and snapped up by the Grammar school. They do afaik allow the club to use it
    Yeat though it was something like that.Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I cant see OP being redeveloped for 8k seating, not just the space restrictions, more so with parking and not just for uefa criteria, more standard planning.

The min seating for UEFA Cat 3 is 4,500 seats, but this rises to 8k for Cat 4, pity there is such a gap as I always thought a 6k seater for OP would be ideal. Cat 3 would still work currently for CL 2 and CL 3, prob changing to CL 1 and CL 2 next season, still two rounds. Bigger games worked ok last season in Dublin.

There is room to build a new stand behind the town goal for example, and probably something smaller behind the other goal. There is a lot more space on the shed size that people realise, but as was mentioned above a lot of this is probably already under review with the feasibility study. The timing with the take over of the lease and full settlement to Louth CC (November I think) meant the priority for 2017 was always going to be the pitch.

The club has always acknowledged that facilities are in urgent need of redevelopment so hopefully we will hear news on the next phase this season.

Dlk train for away games on the grass pitch now owned by a local school, right behind OP and train for home games on the OP pitch.
    Id say access and parking will be the main problems alright since there's only the one access road.
    One option i can see from looking at google earth to get the 8k would be to buy the carpark and what looks like a mechanic behind that petrol station and make a deal with the grammer school for two things, a bit of land behind the west goal and for access to the ground to go through the park from near that freight depot so youve then two roads accessing the ground. Then level the stadium and move the pitch slightly to the north west and rebuild and that should be enough space for a cat 4 but that might cost a small fortune. also personally no offence but an 8k stadium all seated will look very empth for most teams with their current average attendance so Id put in safe standing cause terraces can look more full with less people in comparison to seating.

Thats just my two cents but feel free to forward to the Dundalk board I'll just charge a small fee

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Dude that is my euromilions dream and my building of the oriel arena lol. The access then to the Ardee road would be a quick access to the m1 (5km) and ideal for away supporters and fans outside of town.

My personal belief is that a greenfield site will be attained but with a partner either DKIT or LCC. Oriel Park has very nominal rent that could be retained as a training grounds especially with the ydc and underage sides and the local winter and summer leagues could use it also.

All pie in the sky

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    All pie in the sky
    A time-honoured and very realistic starting point for many a club's strategic plan. Had you mentioned a DVD you would have had a lot more credibility.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Dude that is my euromilions dream and my building of the oriel arena lol. The access then to the Ardee road would be a quick access to the m1 (5km) and ideal for away supporters and fans outside of town.

My personal belief is that a greenfield site will be attained but with a partner either DKIT or LCC. Oriel Park has very nominal rent that could be retained as a training grounds especially with the ydc and underage sides and the local winter and summer leagues could use it also.

All pie in the sky
    how about this underground carpark under the pitch and a raised road going directly to the m1? realistic enough for LOI I think. Sure Dundalk are loaded now packet change do do all that really.

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    A time-honoured and very realistic starting point for many a club's strategic plan. Had you mentioned a DVD you would have had a lot more credibility.
    Ill have the 3D graphics for it by tomorrow then itll be an official LOI stadium design

26. Thanks From: