Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 31 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Long

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No, they're not. What's your point?

And while there might not be a Premier League team that's lost 20 games straight, there was one who went 32 without winning so it's not as if you have a point there either.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 15/08/2011 at 12:04 AM.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Twenty losses in a row is a joke. The team obviously shouldn't be in the league.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    If there was no LOI these players would just head over to England straightaway and get discovered much earlier.
    Or get rejected....

Whatever its other failings (mainly financial instability) the domestic clubs provide a 'second chance' for many players or late(r) developers, eg. Long and Paddy McCourt.

The standard will never be the greatest, but it's not doing any harm either....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    I think it does terrible harm to the popularity of the sport in Ireland. I think there should be one club only, based in Dublin, that plays in the English tier. Think of how much better it would be if there was one team that got 50k a week out to see a Premiership match in Dublin instead of a few thousand scattered throughout the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I think it does terrible harm to the popularity of the sport in Ireland. I think there should be one club only, based in Dublin, that plays in the English tier. Think of how much better it would be if there was one team that got 50k a week out to see a Premiership match in Dublin instead of a few thousand scattered throughout the country.
    Stupid logic. Why would you want an Irish team in the Premier league when the majority of fans already support an English team. How exactly is having our own national league with the likes of shamrock roves competing well against the teams of Copenhagen's standard detrimental to the'' popularity of the sport in ireland''. We're generating players of championship standard or better now on a regular basis.Doyle, Long, Hunt,Hoolahan,Darl Murphy, Forde,Deegan, Delaney, O'Donavan even.Wake up man.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

That would be a bit like Cardiff City (who are in Wales). Ireland would be better off doing it like rugby, with Munster Leinster stc...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I think it does terrible harm to the popularity of the sport in Ireland. I think there should be one club only, based in Dublin, that plays in the English tier.
    One small problem. Ireland's, er, not in England...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    One small problem. Ireland's, er, not in England...
    While you are obviously correct, we are still sending droves of teenagers to England every year as they are wanted by clubs there. Any plan that would keep these youngsters here until they are at an age to make up their mind about their futures would be certainly welcome by me.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Twenty losses in a row is a joke. The team obviously shouldn't be in the league.
    Yeah, they'll be relegated at the end of the year.

Football is not unpopular in Ireland. Scrapping the league and having only one club, on the other hand, would do terrible harm to the popularity of the sport in Ireland. Assuming the thousands of dedicated LOI fans in Cork, Sligo, Galway, Derry and Louth actually matter to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    No, they don't matter to me at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Which is why you really shouldn't bother talking about the LOI in that fashion.

Absolute bullplop being talked here.
    And in the week where OTB rehashed an interview with Eamo about the Dublin Dons.

Also say we did have an EPL team in Ireland. Why would it be populated exclusively by Irish players? What would stop the management purchasing foreigners to ensure success.
    So we lose not only 20 or so senior clubs but the replacement club would end up just like any other EPL team.

It would be such a retrograde step and idiotic debate that any further talk about it on this forum should be punishable by a whack in the head by PoS's manbag.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 15/08/2011 at 8:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I cant believe I just read that conversation, jesus christ what an idiot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    The worst part is I responded like a suckah.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Which is why you really shouldn't bother talking about the LOI in that fashion.

Absolute bullplop being talked here.
    And in the week where OTB rehashed an interview with Eamo about the Dublin Dons.

Also say we did have an EPL team in Ireland. Why would it be populated exclusively by Irish players? What would stop the management purchasing foreigners to ensure success.
    So we lose not only 20 or so senior clubs but the replacement club would end up just like any other EPL team.

It would be such a retrograde step and idiotic debate that any further talk about it on this forum should be punishable by a whack in the head by PoS's manbag.
    I'm more than happy with that. I can fill it with Bricks. Its quite a strong ManBag.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    What should be done is the FAI should fund an academy, top coaches, top facilities and each season a fresh batch of players are divided among the LOI clubs, similar to the the draft system in American Football.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The only way that would be financially viable is if the FAI got significant chunks for any big money move/sell on clause. And i cant really see that happening.

Btw back on topic, I took Long was pretty annonymous bar the goal. What i do like from what i have seen recently though, is like rooney and a lot of good strikers he is making a yard of space for himself before getting a shot in. Great to see that sorta ability and awareness.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    What should be done is the FAI should fund an academy, top coaches, top facilities and each season a fresh batch of players are divided among the LOI clubs, similar to the the draft system in American Football.
    im glad to see that someone has paid attention to my previous posts. It really is the only viable way to keep the majority of our best young players at home to learn their trade at a professional or semi professional level and also ensure that clubs get compensated appropriately when players are bought from Irish clubs. The english clubs get way, way, way too many "bargains" from the league each year. McClean and O'Donovan are an exception to the rule.

The best of the best would still probably go abroad earlier but if they were contracted to the academy then a portion of the compensation agreed could be split between all clubs in the League.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I'm more than happy with that. I can fill it with Bricks. Its quite a strong ManBag.
    Your ManBag now Paul, not your hod!

As regards your comment re Shane, is it bit this that differentiates the good from the great strikers' in that they can be anonymous for large portions of the game and then pull something out of no where?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    im glad to see that someone has paid attention to my previous posts. It really is the only viable way to keep the majority of our best young players at home to learn their trade at a professional or semi professional level and also ensure that clubs get compensated appropriately when players are bought from Irish clubs. The english clubs get way, way, way too many "bargains" from the league each year. McClean and O'Donovan are an exception to the rule.

The best of the best would still probably go abroad earlier but if they were contracted to the academy then a portion of the compensation agreed could be split between all clubs in the League.
    What about the clubs already fairly successful at developing players and reaping the benefits? No hint of pretence here - I'm thinking of Derry predominantly although we're not the only ones who might feel aggrieved at any kind of central system. We haven't always got the best deal we could, but we're pretty good at developing quality players. OFF TOPIC at this point but I'd be curious to see your thoughts on how it would work - link to another post perhaps?
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    SvD, ive posted on it many times a few years ago. I tried looking for them a while back but couldnt find them.

My thoughts on the problem you raise is that there is nothing to stop the clubs either a) competing with the academy if they have an adequate youth set up or b) signing the players that dont make the academy and developing these players themselves and of course retaining all transfer rights to these players - not every player would go through an FAI elite-academy.

There are obviously going to be challenges with any system and i havent thought through it all. In fact i havent thought about it much at all recently!!
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Page 31 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast