Results 4,041 to 4,060 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Nice way to counter the Mirror article that had him statistically the worst crosser in the EPL this season. Because I am all about the stats now like tricky.

I love to see him get into the box and stand the ball up - it's one of his strengths and he doesn't get the chance to do it enough for Ireland when he's always stuck out on the wing.

Yes it is all about the stats, as they say there are stats, dammed stats and statistics.
    A good game for Aiden elevates him to 224th in the rankings.
    A bad day at the office for Richard Dunne though, he seems to have dropped about 50 places to 59th. (Stuttgard mentions he was "culpable" for a goal)
    James McCarthy is 30th and Coleman seems to have dropped down to 94th.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Green ballooned a clearance into the air, Dunne tried to get it down but it ran to an Everyon guy who fed McGeady for the cross.

That should tell you more than any statistic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I saw about twenty minutes of the first half and McGeady lost possession the couple of times he got it, one with a really poor attempted pass with his left foot. I don't think he does his best work on the right but it was a lovely little assist for Naismith and it's was badly needed from his own point of view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I just read there that Mirallas was stretchered off and looked in a bit of distress. Hopefully he's not out for too long but if he is it might mean more game time for McGeady in his more favourable position. Well, I'm not sure if it's his own preferred position but I think it's where he's most effective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Green ballooned a clearance into the air, Dunne tried to get it down but it ran to an Everyon guy who fed McGeady for the cross.

That should tell you more than any statistic!
    You can't tell much from a statistic of one, the margin of error is huge.
    That is the trouble with highlights you might see a player do one thing either good or bad and think he is brilliant or rubbish.
    Often the players who score spectacular goals are not so good because their 50 other attempts at the spectacular had a rather disappointing end.
    Likewise a player you is consistently good but unspectacular may not make the highlights at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I thought McGeady, while poor, was one of their better players. Didn't see him bottling anything. Barry, Baines, McCarthy, Alcaraz, Distin, Eto'o were all worse. I'll give Garbutt a pass because he's young and shouldn't have been on the pitch in the first place.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Heard from a friend that some Everton fans were on his back yesterday. Subbed again I see. Not sure how many games he has played the full 90 for Everton.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Heard from a friend that some Everton fans were on his back yesterday. Subbed again I see. Not sure how many games he has played the full 90 for Everton.
    Full details on all his appearances here: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/pl...layer_id=38265

He has played 13 full games for Everton and has been either subbed on or off in another 17.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    That's actually more than I would have thought. He an obvious fall guy when things aren't going well. Fans tend to be more patient when things are going well otherwise, naturally enough. He's well used to fans vocalising their frustrations anyway from playing for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That's actually more than I would have thought.
    It did seem too generous, so I've had a re-check and it turns out I misinterpreted those figures. Sorry about that. He's started 13 Premier League games since he joined Everton last January. Since then, he's also made 17 appearances as a substitute. Not sure why I interpreted it otherwise as that format - x(x) - conventionally signifies games started and then games in which a player has been brought on in brackets, doesn't it? Having gone through the Premier League fixtures in which he has started since January last - don't think I missed any, but open to correction - it looks like he finished none of them, so he has actually never played a full 90 minutes for Everton in the Premier League. He has played a few up until the 85+ minute mark.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Full details on all his appearances here: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/pl...layer_id=38265

He has played 13 full games for Everton and has been either subbed on or off in another 17.
    ahem: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Play...5&seasonID=144
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McGeady played his first full 90 minutes for Everton in a Premier League game today. Everton beat Palace 1-0 away.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It did seem too generous, so I've had a re-check and it turns out I misinterpreted those figures. Sorry about that. He's started 13 Premier League games since he joined Everton last January. Since then, he's also made 17 appearances as a substitute. Not sure why I interpreted it otherwise as that format - x(x) - conventionally signifies games started and then games in which a player has been brought on in brackets, doesn't it? Having gone through the Premier League fixtures in which he has started since January last - don't think I missed any, but open to correction - it looks like he finished none of them, so he has actually never played a full 90 minutes for Everton in the Premier League. He has played a few up until the 85+ minute mark.

I am always confused by the x(x) format, is the first x all games played in or only the ones started in?

I think it must be all game he has played in as I don't see recall any where the second x is greater that the first.

Actually Drogba has 2(15) so the first x must be games started and the 15 must be when brought on as sub.

Incidentally McGeady got his highest rating so far this season for his last game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Looked good yesterday, hopefully it's the beginning of a rich vein of form that last to the Poland game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Looks like Aaron Lennon is going to Everton on loan. McGeady could probably do without the extra competition!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think McGeady's a better player than Lennon, he has more ability on the ball, however they are similar with quality of delivery, even if one had an opinion that Lennon was better, would he be that much better to justify all that expenditure for a loan deal?

No doubt this is further proof of the Martinez decline, as his lucky streak is exposed for what it really was, a glorious "spoof" (to quote John Giles).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Phil Neville was just on R5 Live saying it was a good move, taking pressure off Coleman to be the main threat on the right flank, leaving Mirallas and McGeady as options on the left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's definitely a good move for Everton, especially if they have a decent run in the Europa knockouts. There is no question that it is extra competition for McGeady though. I'm a big McGeady fan but would have to accept that Mirallas is a better player overall, so the right hand side is the more likely position that McGeady could occupy, despite the fact that I'd prefer him on the left. McGeady is definitely a technically superior footballer to Lennon, but Everton's lack of tempo and pace compared to last season has been well documented, which is the kind of football Lennon excels in. Hopefully McGeady starts the majority of the games, with Lennon held in reserve as an impact sub, to come on when the games are more stretched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    If Lennon's enthusiasm on the pitch matches his unveiling photos, McGeady has nothing to worry about