Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 229 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    It's not proof at this stage. It's a tad hysterical to denounce Staunton in this context.
    I got the clear impression that Robson concurred 100% with this midfield selection. And was reasonably positive after the Germany game.
    ATM I'd say the management's attitude is that considering the performance in Germany 'it's not that broke'.
    If there was a full midfield to select from, with fully match fit, both on form Reids, then that's another story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I blame Kerr for playing Kilbane in the centre in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    NO I think its a a fundamental decision in Stauntons managment. If he believes that Kilbane and O Shea can play midfield together then I do not share any footballing beliefs with him and for me I could not take him seriously as a manager. It is a fundamental issue for me that O Shea and Kilbane must never play for Ireland in central midfield together ever again.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Staunton who persists with those two donkeys O'Shea and Kilbane
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    the manager seems to want to play Kilbane and O Shea.
    I fully accept that O'Shea seems to be there almost automatically. But hasn't Kilbane only played there once? As well as left-sided hybrid forward against Holland, left-back aganst Chile, centre-half against Chile....

I can accept the logic of Kilbane's inclusion at CM in Stuttgart, as he was there to match the physical threat of Frings. I wouldn't have done it myself but it can theoretically be justified. One off decision - I hope!

So I think it's grossly unfair to say that Staunton is permanently disposed to fielding that pairing.

But if he does against Cyprus....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree he has not done it all the time but we had a full choice of midfielders against Germany with the exception of Andy Reid and Joey O Brien and it is his only competitive game and he plays the two of them together away from home when surely the job away from home is to retailn the ball for as long as you can.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Neil, maybe, just maybe, he thought Miller would be gobbled up by Frings, but Kilbane wouldn't. I don't deny it was an error, and I wouldn't have done it myself, but I can see the logic in theory. Athletic 6 footer vs athletic 6 footer. Cut off Frings and you cut off Ballack.

Staunton probably recalls Kilbane's good performance in Paris. Sadly, I doubt he scrutinised the subsequent games as closely as us fans who quickly came to realise that arguably the biggest tactical failing of Kerr's reign was his persistence with KK in midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I see where you are coming from but I think if he persists with Kilbane and O shea as our midfield partnership I will lose my faith in him as I really think its a fundamental issue for this team. We will only get Duff Mc Geady Doyle and Keane in the game if we have a midfield platform to work off. I think a cautious breaking up player like Carsley can give protection to the defence and lay it simple to our full backs or to Duff and Mc Geady. Then someone like Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid, Liam Miller or possibly Stephen Mc Phail could be a link man to the forwards and the wingers also. If we want to be a bit more athletic in midfield Stephen Reid is the answer in my view and not Kevin Kilbane. I also feel that over time Joey O Brien can possibly estalish himself as the ball winner or the more defensive midfielder in the team but this can be done with the luxary of having Carsley there for these 3 games and possibly the games in Spring.

I think the younger players will benefit with chasing qualification rather than giving up on it now.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    It is beyond dispute imo that both Robson and Stan rate Steven Reid as one of the two first choice central midfielders and given the managerial love fest for O'Shea, I'd wager that he is their other choice. I wonder who their first choice RM is. Is their preference for another winger in McGeady or a player like A Reid/Ireland/Miller?

Looking back at the Germany game if Duff was coming off and McGeady is coming on as a sub. you'd imagine that it would have been a direct swop.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hartson Rates McGeady

Former Celtic striker John Hartson believes that Aiden McGeady could soon attract bids of £20m. (Sunday Mail/Post)

McGeady scored against Falkirk today.

Definitely should be in team against Cyprus.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It is beyond dispute imo that both Robson and Stan rate Steven Reid as one of the two first choice central midfielders and given the managerial love fest for O'Shea, I'd wager that he is their other choice.
    So why did Reid play RM against Germany? surely Reid is a better option that KK or JOS, I didn't understand the decision at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpcc View Post
    Former Celtic striker John Hartson believes that Aiden McGeady could soon attract bids of £20m. (Sunday Mail/Post)
    http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport/fo...name_page.html
    Probably a bit ott by Hartson in fairness.

McGeady's 1st half was terrible but he came out in the 2nd half a much better player. He did that trademark turn yet again in the penalty box leaving a Falkirk player for dead.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport/fo...name_page.html
    Probably a bit ott by Hartson in fairness.

McGeady's 1st half was terrible but he came out in the 2nd half a much better player. He did that trademark turn yet again in the penalty box leaving a Falkirk player for dead.

Would you agree he should start against Cyprus?
    and if you do would you agree the he and Duff should start as our wingers?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    McGeady was absolutely outstanding again for Celtic today. First half Gravesen and Lennon were overran in midfield so McGeady never got a kick. Second half he went out, demanded the ball, made things happen and scored the winner....

He also had the most sublime run and skill I've ever saw on a football park. Went by four men reached the by-line and was facing away from goal, done the most remarkable turn to leave one defender dead and another falling on his face... Unfortunately not even his own teammates expected him to get in a crossing position and his cut back was intercepted

The bhoy is a legend. He should not only start he sould be the first name on the teamsheet.
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young to do something

-- Bobby Sands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    McGeady has improved his game vastly. He's becomee very strong, runs all over the park and has improved his pace. However, his usage of the ball still needs big improvement. If he could learn to play the right ball and learn when to release the ball he would be a great player. He's still young and his progress is moving in the right direction.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGeady10 View Post
    McGeady was absolutely outstanding again for Celtic today. First half Gravesen and Lennon were overran in midfield so McGeady never got a kick. Second half he went out, demanded the ball, made things happen and scored the winner....

He also had the most sublime run and skill I've ever saw on a football park. Went by four men reached the by-line and was facing away from goal, done the most remarkable turn to leave one defender dead and another falling on his face... Unfortunately not even his own teammates expected him to get in a crossing position and his cut back was intercepted

The bhoy is a legend. He should not only start he sould be the first name on the teamsheet.
    Who were they playing ? Real Madrid ? Barcelona ? Oh yeh, Falkirk.

I agree though with Poor Student. From what little I've seen of him he seems to have improved and long may it continue.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGeady10 View Post
    McGeady was absolutely outstanding again for Celtic today. First half Gravesen and Lennon were overran in midfield so McGeady never got a kick.
    If Falkirk were dominating Celtic doesn't say much for them...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    McGeady should be starting for Ireland. And should have already been starting regulary. This is like the time Mcgrath couldn't get into the team because Hand prefered McCarthy at center half. Hand didn't have the courage or imagination to play McGrath regulary and stated that he had some "learning" to do. A top manager would be building a team around McGeady and I believe Hartson's comments are correct. McGeady isn't the finished article but either is Rooney or Ronaldo. And if what we have in Midfield at the moment are "learned" players well then give me the learner McGeady! Petrov moved from playing in Falkirk to Stamford Bridge no problem. Why not McGeady? And it makes a mockery of Stans claims to be "building" for 2010 if he is not starting the "learners"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    So why did Reid play RM against Germany? surely Reid is a better option that KK or JOS, I didn't understand the decision at all.

Agree with this. Both Stan and Robson have come out and said that Reid is the future in the centre of the park for us and then proceed to play him out of position!!! Can't do much for the lad's confidence either??
    Someone else mentioned KK was only in the team in Stuttgart to nullify Frings as he's a big physical lad but surely Reid could have done the same job as well as being able to find his own players with simple passes!
    I'm dreading seeing the teamsheet for Saturday now...O'Shea/Kilbane in the centre of the park = no creativity whatsoever. Hopefully he offsets this with the inclusion of McGeady and if not, I want Staunton sacked and Hartson in now!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young to do something

-- Bobby Sands

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I still think it's premature to assume KK and JOS will be the central midfielders on Saturday. God help us if they are.

We've got better players than Kilbane. O'Shea didn't figure for MUFC today but I expect Stan will pick him. I'll actually be surprised if he picks KK.

Any news on any call-ups? McPhail's Cardiff won 4-0. Alan Quinn played on Saturday. Daryl Murphy started for Sunderland. Shane Long got 25 minutes today.

Agree with the above comments about Steven Reid.

Page 8 of 229 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast