Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Call for Leadership & Character

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Call for Leadership & Character

If we go one down I'm not at all sure where the leadership is going to come from to lead a fightback. It was clear when Roy Keane was playing & even Quinn would try to rally the troups. Even Cascarino in days gone by would act as a sort of talisman, coming on for the last 15 or 20 mins.

I can see Dunne giving it a real go, but to be honest have trouble seeing much past him for that will to win leadership drive. It's on days when the chips are down that qualification is grabbed. Hope I'm wrong about the absence of these qualities.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    We don't need to go a goal down for that to be apparent. We've been Rudderless in Keanes absence since he reitred, both times.

Now I want to get away from the Keane factor... I simply mean we've industrious players and we've the attacking quality of Robbie, Duffer, (Now McGeady etc). But we've nothing to compliment these and tie it up.

The obvious thing to my mind is Andy Reid (Even playing on the right), but he's not even in the squad

Hopfully Garvan will make some progress this year. Maybe no harm to have a look at Whelan or McPhail. The's no point in searching out another box to box type

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Dunne is Man City captain, Given is Newcastle vice captain, Keane is currently Spurs captain, Reid is captain material and Duff builds his teammates up just by playing well. It's a young team. I still think Given should have been made captain though. He has more experience than any other player now that Breen has retired and is probably our most vocal player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    And when all else fails........ Bring on the Doc!
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

who needs leaders?

we'll be 2-0 up and cruising at half time,
    who needs them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Dunne is Man City captain, Given is Newcastle vice captain, Keane is currently Spurs captain, Reid is captain material and Duff builds his teammates up just by playing well. It's a young team. I still think Given should have been made captain though. He has more experience than any other player now that Breen has retired and is probably our most vocal player.
    Keane is Spurs captain only because Ledley King is out injured.
    I think Dunne or Given but we don't have a leader in the centre of the park, Reid may be captain material but he's not there yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    And when all else fails........ Bring on the Doc!
    If Gary Doherty comes on I'm turning off
    Limerick 3:7
    "Marvel not that I said unto thee, ye must be born again"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if doherty comes on up front i will personally start a campaign to re-instate kerr... and i was never a kerr fan!!
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All our players need to play well - Robbie and Duffer will need to step up. They're no longer kids in the team - they are the seniors there now and really the leadership must start from them. I feel strangely optimistic about this game ... Germany will have seen how poor we were against the Dutch at home. They're at home - I can see them falling into a false sense of security. I have a good feeling about this match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMilla View Post
    if doherty comes on up front i will personally start a campaign to re-instate kerr... and i was never a kerr fan!!
    How about moving Dunne up front and bringing the Doc into defence? Man city tried something similar last season against West Ham and Dunne made a nuisance of himself up front when City were chasing the game, the defence didn't know how to deal with him, and he was robbed for a goal on at least 2 occasions
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i remember that alright , it might be an option at 1 down with 10 to go but hopefully stan will have something up his sleeve from the training ground rather than reverting to what the germans call "english tactics"!!
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    After the last campaign, all of these players - Duff, Keane, Reid, Dunne, O'Shea, Carr, Finnan, Kavanagh with the exception of Given - owe us the fans a big, big performance. If they go to Germany and lie down without spirit, then we're this cycle of transition goes a lot deeper than we think. We may be outclassed by playing the Germans away, I can handle that. What I can't handle is the complacency and lack of real drive that we saw against Switzerland and France. If that continues through out this campaign, we're in deep trouble and my suspicion that a few of the regulars are beaten dockets will be proved right. Hopefully it won't be.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    How about moving Dunne up front and bringing the Doc into defence? Man city tried something similar last season against West Ham and Dunne made a nuisance of himself up front when City were chasing the game, the defence didn't know how to deal with him, and he was robbed for a goal on at least 2 occasions
    yes but this is the same City that brought David James on upfront. Enough said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    If nothing else, it would be unexpected and something Germany won't be prepared for. As Kerr's reign progressed, his tactics and team selection became more and more predictable
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook