Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Mark Kennedy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    You can listen again to a section of the 'Off the Ball' interview with Kilbane here: https://goo.gl/ys0fvj

Kennedy revealed that he doesn't take an interest in the national team and that he had had a previously-undisclosed falling out with Brian Kerr in early 2003. He didn't play for Kerr or Ireland after that. Some of what Kennedy said in the interview is quoted here: http://www.newstalk.com/mark-kennedy...-kevin-kilbane

Originally Posted by Newstalk "I couldn't tell you the last time I watched an Ireland game, not because I don't care about my country. I'm very, very passionate about my country. But I've no interest in the national team. None whatsoever," Kennedy said, before expanding on what happened.

"I vividly remember when - and I cannot be any more honest in this - Brian Kerr's first game in charge was against Scotland and I played for Wolves on the Saturday and I had a groin injury ironically.

"And I personally rang Brian Kerr, and said to him - a physio had spoke to him. I rang him that night on the Saturday and I'll never forget it.
    Er...what exactly is an ironic groin injury?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    "I have no interest" is actually more indicative of Kennedy's low regard for Kerr. Kennedy wasn't even peddling the injury excuse, just openly mocking Kerr by mentioning a phantom injury as a faux excuse.
    "I just said [to Brian Kerr], 'I'm not going. I'm injured, I have no interest.'" He had no interest in playing, but Kerr choose to select the sick note thing to inform the press.
    Kerr was just as much as a bóllix as Kennedy was over that little event maybe more so Kerr as he was the elder, Kerr had no such scruples in bending over backwards to get the rebel Keane back into the team.
    So, Kennedy just stuck that line in now (during his interview with Kilbane) to mock Kerr or are you saying you think he used the "I'm injured" line at the time to Kerr (in 2003) in order to mock him then?

Whether he was mocking him sarcastically to emphasise just how little he cared for Kerr (which is disrespectful), whether it was now or then, or whether it was a made-up excuse to get out of the call-up (which is also disrespectful), I think it's still a bit rich for him to be dubbing Kerr a "cheeky b*stard". Kennedy is hardly in a position to be claiming the moral high-ground given his smart-alecky contribution.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Er...what exactly is an ironic groin injury?
    Kennedy used that irony word twice in the interview and both times misplaced.
    I took it to mean that it just so happened that he actually was carrying an injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    It's like 10,000 spoons.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Kennedy used that irony word twice in the interview and both times misplaced.
    I took it to mean that it just so happened that he actually was carrying an injury.
    As opposed to having to make one up, which may have been the more expected or usual mechanism by which Kennedy was able to avoid a call-up?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    So, Kennedy just stuck that line in now (during his interview with Kilbane) to mock Kerr or are you saying you think he used the "I'm injured" line at the time to Kerr (in 2003) in order to mock him then?
    I think Kennedy made it very clear to Kerr that he wasn't interested to join up with the squad for the early summer tournament and that he had not time for Kerr. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his exact recollection of a 10 year old conversation, most people just remember a sentiment, not the exact words they used to express that sentiment. It sounds like Kennedy has an active list of people who he has no time for.

Whether he was mocking him sarcastically to emphasise just how little he cared for Kerr (which is disrespectful), whether it was now or then, or whether it was a made-up excuse to get out of the call-up (which is also disrespectful), I think it's still a bit rich for him to be dubbing Kerr a "cheeky b*stard". Kennedy is hardly in a position to be claiming the moral high-ground given his smart-alecky contribution.
    And Kerr can be narky, sarcastic, bitter.
    In the newstalk program, Kilbane explained (in his experience) how these type of ego conflict situations can easily develop and fester unless nipped at the bud with communication.

I'd have thought the onus for that first encounter before the Scotland game was on the manger to clarify an issue with a player not throw fuel on it. It was Kerr's first game but he was an experienced 50 years old manager. Kennedy when fit was at least a squad member and it was a very thin squad with half the first team past their best.

Whatever the opinions are about O'Neill's acumen as a coach, it's obvious that he's a first class manager and you can see the benefits of that quality getting us through games, where the scales of football skills are weighed against us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I think Kennedy made it very clear to Kerr that he wasn't interested to join up with the squad for the early summer tournament and that he had not time for Kerr. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his exact recollection of a 10 year old conversation, most people just remember a sentiment, not the exact words they used to express that sentiment. It sounds like Kennedy has an active list of people who he has no time for.
    There's no dispute over the interpretation of the sentiment. I think that's pretty evident; he has very little regard for Kerr. How to interpret his inclusion of the "I'm injured" line was a more interesting focus for me given he was protesting in the very next line about being dubbed "sicknote". If he used that line at the time, even if it was used sarcastically in an "I couldn't care less, I'm 'injured'; take your pick, whatever... " sort of manner, he could hardly complain if it came back to bite him. One reaps what they sow and all that.

And Kerr can be narky, sarcastic, bitter.
    In the newstalk program, Kilbane explained (in his experience) how these type of ego conflict situations can easily develop and fester unless nipped at the bud with communication.

I'd have thought the onus for that first encounter before the Scotland game was on the manger to clarify an issue with a player not throw fuel on it. It was Kerr's first game but he was an experienced 50 years old manager. Kennedy when fit was at least a squad member and it was a very thin squad with half the first team past their best.
    Maybe Kerr can be sarcastic/bitter, and I agree communication and dialogue is key (on both sides) in order to prevent needless escalations - often it takes one embroiled ego to yield, re-assess things professionally for a second and set the emotional baggage aside rather than dive in again personally - but I'd still like to hear Kerr's perspective as Kennedy's version of events is just bizarre and relies on Kerr being near-senile, which doesn't seem plausible to me.

Kennedy claimed they had a conversation with one another over the phone but says that Kerr left a message on his phone later that same day informing Kennedy that he didn't like hearing things "third-hand". Kennedy's reporting of this episode thus implied that Kerr believed that the alleged earlier conversation hadn't even taken place. That's just odd. How could Kerr simply forget an entire conversation a few hours earlier?

A more likely explanation is surely that Kerr erroneously left a message on Kennedy's phone that was actually intended for another unknown player; that Kerr called the wrong number on his phone due to a mix-up or a moment of carelessness, didn't realise it and left a message intended for some other player who he'd heard was injured through a third party. It seems Kennedy may have received this message and immediately jumped to the conclusion without seeking clarification that he was the intended target of Kerr's criticism when it mightn't have been the case at all.

That would be my guess. It seems a more plausible explanation. What do you think the explanation for that peculiar episode is?

If my guess was the case though, surely Kennedy would have had the gumption to realise it was a distinct possibility. It could have been easily resolved by him asking the simple, obvious question - "Was that message definitely meant for me?" - and/or Kerr or someone at the FAI updating him (if Kerr/they was/were even aware of the error) or clarifying in reply that the message was actually intended for another player but that Kerr had unfortunately dialled the wrong number without realising.

Whatever the opinions are about O'Neill's acumen as a coach, it's obvious that he's a first class manager and you can see the benefits of that quality getting us through games, where the scales of football skills are weighed against us.
    Wholeheartedly agree.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Surely the only reason Man City have Mark Kennedy coaching young players is as a " Bad Warning " .......If You carry-on like Mark Kennedy then you will have wasted a very large part of the talent you have .

Sometimes a "Bad Warning "is better than a " Good Example "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I wonder if he's rooting for Natalie Portman to win the Oscar this weekend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Off topic but you'd miss Crosby all the same.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Off topic but you'd miss Crosby all the same.
    Well, his season started early, what with winning the World Cup and all and he's had a concussion-free run so I guess he's too busy and clear-thinking to come on foot.ie

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    What you wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    I wonder if he's rooting for Natalie Portman to win the Oscar this weekend?
    What most of us saw:
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Blah blah blah blah rooting blah Natalie Portman blah blah blah blah blah blah
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 23/02/2017 at 8:23 AM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's one of these progressive foot ie rehab programs, where the candidate is first cast out to the wilderness, is reborn, then returns to carry on exactly where they left off.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Kennedy appointed first team coach at Macclesfield under Sol Campbell: https://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/2018/dec...st-team-coach/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Kennedy appointed first team coach at Macclesfield under Sol Campbell: https://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/2018/dec...st-team-coach/
    We can only hope he is more dedicated to his coaching career than he was to his playing career .
    Perhaps he has learned with age . Youth is wasted on the Young .

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    One of the most Championship-Managery appointments I've seen in a long while.

23. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    One of the most Championship-Managery appointments I've seen in a long while.
    Mark or Sol?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    The combination

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Just need Tonton Zola Moukouko to pitch up as Director of Football now. Ah, I miss CM!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast