Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Kennedy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Killer interviewing Mark Kennedy on OTB tonight.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    You can listen again to a section of the 'Off the Ball' interview with Kilbane here: https://goo.gl/ys0fvj

Kennedy revealed that he doesn't take an interest in the national team and that he had had a previously-undisclosed falling out with Brian Kerr in early 2003. He didn't play for Kerr or Ireland after that. Some of what Kennedy said in the interview is quoted here: http://www.newstalk.com/mark-kennedy...-kevin-kilbane

Quote Originally Posted by Newstalk
    "I couldn't tell you the last time I watched an Ireland game, not because I don't care about my country. I'm very, very passionate about my country. But I've no interest in the national team. None whatsoever," Kennedy said, before expanding on what happened.

"I vividly remember when - and I cannot be any more honest in this - Brian Kerr's first game in charge was against Scotland and I played for Wolves on the Saturday and I had a groin injury ironically.

"And I personally rang Brian Kerr, and said to him - a physio had spoke to him. I rang him that night on the Saturday and I'll never forget it.

"I personally said to him, 'Brian, I've got a groin injury. I'm struggling, and I promise you one thing, I'll play for Wolves next Saturday, because I'm not dying. I've got a tight, whatever it is... bit of a problem. I will play for Wolves next Saturday'. But I said, 'I'm not going to be one of these players that just says I'm injured. If you want me to play against Scotland I'll come up and I'll play, but I could do without that game'.

"And then he left a message on my phone, which was absolutely bizarre, that night, basically moaning 'I don't like hearing things third hand' and stuff like that. I was thinking, 'I've rang you, I've spoke to you, you're deluded, I've spoke to you'.

"And then the next trip, we played Georgia and Albania away. He put me on standby. I thought, 'You cheeky b*stard'. He called me up, and I told him, 'I'm not going'.

"I'll never forget it: we played Gillingham at home, we won 6-0, I banged in two. Dave [Jones] took me off, and I as I walked off I said, 'I'm injured'. He went, 'What?' And I said 'I'm not going to Georgia and Albania'.

"That was the day my Ireland career [ended] and I just refused to play for them after that."

He did add that Kerr did attempt to bring him back for a "Mickey Mouse tournament in London" some time later.
    Balls.ie have also transcribed some of Kennedy's subsequent words: https://www.balls.ie/football/mark-kennedy-359523

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kennedy
    He left me out for a long time after that, and he tried to call me up to some mickey mouse tournament in London. I remember speaking to Robbie [Keane], who was playing with Tottenham in the Premier League. There was this Tri-Nations tournament in Fulham, and I said to Robbie, 'What are you doing for your summer holidays'. Robbie said 'oh, I've spoken to so and so, and we've got this tournament'.

Brian Kerr never phoned me, never told me to do this, and do that, and then he called me up right near the end. And do you know what really annoyed me Kev? I just said, I'm not going. I'm injured, I have no interest. I always remember a headline in the paper, and it went 'Sicknote Injured Again', and I thought....you cheeky b*stards. That's nowhere near, I just don't want to play.

I don't want to play for people who I don't respect. And if that means I don't play for my country...then it doesn't bother me.
    Strange story all round. It sounds like there must have been some communication mix-up or mistake - surely - but Kennedy had perhaps already made his mind up and taken a huff. He never struck me as having the most professional or ideal of attitudes. In fact, he admitted he was "really stubborn" and was a "black-and-white person" in the interview. I'd love to hear Kerr's version of events in order to make a proper judgment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    What a sad bitter self interested jerk

4. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What a sad bitter self interested jerk
    I was wondering how I would sum up my response but that pretty much covers it.

The most interesingt insight was "That was the day my Ireland career [ended] and I just refused to play for THEM after that." "Them" - obviously didn't get that your country is not THEM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's never good when you look like a dick giving your own side of the story.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Kennedy on being arrested with Phil Babb on Harcourt Street in Dublin a few days before our World Cup qualifier away to Holland in September of 2000 after Babb damaged the parked personal car of the garda doing security at the Harcourt Street garda station (as transcribed by Balls.ie): https://www.balls.ie/football/mark-k...il-babb-359539

Quote Originally Posted by OTB
    Mark Kennedy: For once in my life, I tried to do something positive. We'd gone out, and myself and Babbsy were in this bar just off Grafton Street. Just the two of us, I wasn't sure where everybody was, as you said Kev, everyone was out. And I was drinking a drink that will remain nameless.

Kevin Kilbane: Oh go on, what was the drink?

Mark Kennedy: Oh it was a girl's drink...Smirnoff Ice. Babbsy had said that, 'What's that you're drinking? I've never had one'. And he actually said, ' I'll have one of them, what's the worst that can happen!?' Then, about three hours later, I'm cuffed in the back of a car.

But anyway, the night carried on, and as you'll well remember Kev, curfew was 12 o'clock. Now managers aren't stupid, some lads come in at twelve, so if you're going to stay out late, make sure and come back at six, when nobody is up. But I had actually said to Babbsy 'come on, let's go back, and we left everybody in Coppers.

Babbsy used to do this, it was called Death Stuntman. He would roll over the bonnet of a stationary car, but demonstrate a stuntman getting hit at sixty miles an hour. you had to see this to believe it, but it was really good!

But basically, Babb did Death Stuntman, and he damaged the bonnet of the car. Now bizarrely, and stupidly, he did this on Harcourt Street, which is probably the biggest police station in Dublin, and the car that was damaged was the Bangarda's, who was on security.

Kevin Kilbane: Of all the cars in Dublin...

Mark Kennedy: So that happened, she came out to see what was all the commotion, and a few lads who knew who we were, said 'oh, these were jumping on your car'. So, in my ignorance, and stubborness, my attitude was, which I'd never do again obviously, 'I haven't done anything wrong, so there's nothing you can do to me'. But before I know it, I'm cuffed in the back of the car again, and Babbsy is outside the car talking to the woman.

I was saying, 'I haven't done anything, what am I doing here'.

Next thing I know, I'm sure they put us in Mountjoy, in a holding cell. But the next day, we are taken to a courthouse, and before hand, we were put in a holding cell, and I remember there was a load of lads saying 'Jaysis lads, Mick isn't going to like this', and 'you're not going to get your game on Saturday when he sees ye'. Then when we walk up through the steps into the courthouse, it was absolutely rammed. And I'm thinking '...oh ****'.

This is big. This is really big. We didn't know, it was on the radio. So we then go back to the hotel after that, and naturally the gaffer wants to speak to us. I said 'Look gaffer, I haven't done anything', and the gaffer said 'you're out of the squad'.
    I've not listened to this section of the interview, but Balls.ie added that "Kennedy later said that he didn't appreciate how big the incident had become, while he pleaded his case to McCarthy, he accepted that being arrested on international duty wasn't good enough".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    the segment they broadcasted last night is online here, along with the rest of last night's football show: http://cdn.radiocms.net/media/001/au...audio_file.mp3
    There's more tonight, and the entire interview is going out on Thursday
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Many thought he was the next big thing when as a teenager he went from Millwall to Liverpool for over a million at the time. I can't remember who said it about him, but it was something along the lines that he shone as a bright light for about five minutes before dimming down to a 15 watt bulb for the remainder of his career. I remember him as a languid player who could turn it on occasionally with some excellent crosses and shots. Can't recall where he went after Wimbledon and couldn't be ars*d looking it up.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He moved to Manchester City after Wimbledon and then Wolves after that.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    the segment they broadcasted last night is online here, along with the rest of last night's football show: http://cdn.radiocms.net/media/001/au...audio_file.mp3
    There's more tonight, and the entire interview is going out on Thursday
    Interesting that Kilbane describes Kennedy as being "a very good character" and says that "people have got the wrong perception of him over the years" when asked if Kennedy is "spiky". Kilbane adds that Kennedy was a "very, very popular lad within the dressing room", was "good fun" and "enjoyed his life".

Kilbane does admit that Kennedy acknowledges having made a few errors in his life and could definitely have been more dedicated, particularly at Liverpool.

I'd either completely forgotten or simply not been aware that Kennedy was also arrested, aged 20, whilst on international duty for us in the US in 1996 after knocking over a plant pot outside a restaurant (seemingly by mistake) and getting himself into an argument with the owner who demanded $1,000 for the damage. Kennedy refused to pay, the police got involved (because "they're everywhere in America") and asked him to accept the damages, but Kennedy stubbornly refused again and was cuffed "before [he] knew it" and put in the back of their car.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I never really had anything negative in my mind about him before reading the Newstalk quotes above. I remember the car thing with himself and Babb alright but that was harmless really.

Kilbane's an incredibly nice fella, I couldn't imagine him saying anything but nice things about any former teammate unless he had serious reasons not to. That's not to say Kennedy isn't a good character, but he doesn't come off too well in that interview.

Outside of moving from Millwall to Liverpool, I can only really remember him playing for Wolves with any real clarity, although I can picture him in the Manchester City jersey now that you say it.

I remember him having a brilliant shot off the bar for Liverpool at Anfield (Kop end I'm sure), a shame it didn't go in seeing as he never scored for them. He'll be forever remembered by the Millwall fans at least, most notably for this.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 21/02/2017 at 12:47 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It's never good when you look like a dick giving your own side of the story.
    "I'm a black or white type person" i.e., a knob

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    . He'll be forever remembered by the Millwall fans at least, most notably for this.
    Seems like Stutts can't forget that one.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Came across a Muppet in that interview. Never to blame for his own actions - the original Steven Ireland. If I remember correctly there was a conversation between Dunphy and his former manager Kinnear on the premiership on rte along time ago where Kinnear alluded to Kennedy's attitude "Thinks the world owes him a living". He was no great loss during that era either way, we had regular premier league players that couldn't get a game for us at that time, all willing to turn up home and away for the green. Couldn't make it top level because of his attitude, championship player at best.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    "I'm a black or white type person" i.e., a knob
    True. A strange pet hate too maybe, but I also find it gratingly condescending when somebody calls a fellow grown-up "cheeky". Kennedy does it twice in that short piece when referring to Kerr and whatever journalists called him sicknote as "cheeky b*stards". Comes across as smug or something.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Seems like Stutts can't forget that one.
    I had forgotten it until now. Great goal versus Yugoslavia but still a knob.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    True. A strange pet hate too maybe, but I also find it gratingly condescending when somebody calls a fellow grown-up "cheeky". Kennedy does it twice in that short piece when referring to Kerr and whatever journalists called him sicknote as "cheeky b*stards". Comes across as smug or something.
    It's especially rich for him to complain about being dubbed "sicknote" when he actually admits - in the very passage before having a go at the so-called "cheeky b*stards" - to having (falsely) used the excuse that he was injured in order to avoid the call-up in question.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    He comes across as a Gobs***e even with a friendly interviewer (Kevin Kilbane)..Its safe to say he is a Gobs**e.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It's especially rich for him to complain about being dubbed "sicknote" when he actually admits - in the very passage before having a go at the so-called "cheeky b*stards" - to having (falsely) used the excuse that he was injured in order to avoid the call-up in question.
    I heard it differently, he was just trying to remember the conversation he had.
    Kerr called him late in day for that mini tournament and Kennedy said "I just wasn't going, i'm injured, not injured........." He more or less said he wasn't interested.
    From what I gather, Kerr leaked it to the press that 'sick note was injured again', in order to deliberately show Kennedy in a bad light. Kerr abused his position.
    Up to then, Kennedy had not said anything to the press about their previous falling out, not even to the other players like Kilbane.
    When Kennedy said he was a black and white type guy he was referring to his stubbornness in such situations, it's either or.

Kennedy bad, everybody else good and honest?? I doubt it. But I don't really care, Kennedy had a long and very good club career, for us he might have just about made it into the squad on his good days.
    Last edited by geysir; 21/02/2017 at 7:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I heard it differently, he was just trying to remember the conversation he had.
    Kerr called him late in day for that mini tournament and Kennedy said "I just wasn't going, i'm injured, not injured........." He more or less said he wasn't interested.
    You've misheard/misquoted the passage. In the interview with Kilbane, Kennedy says: "I just said [to Brian Kerr], 'I'm not going. I'm injured, I have no interest.'"

I suppose it is still possible though that he mis-remembered or got his words mixed up and corrected himself. Hard to tell.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    You've misheard/misquoted the passage. In the interview with Kilbane, Kennedy says: "I just said [to Brian Kerr], 'I'm not going. I'm injured, I have no interest.'"

I suppose it is still possible though that he mis-remembered or got his words mixed up and corrected himself. Hard to tell.
    "I have no interest" is actually more indicative of Kennedy's low regard for Kerr. Kennedy wasn't even peddling the injury excuse, just openly mocking Kerr by mentioning a phantom injury as a faux excuse.
    "I just said [to Brian Kerr], 'I'm not going. I'm injured, I have no interest.'" He had no interest in playing, but Kerr choose to select the sick note thing to inform the press.
    Kerr was just as much as a bóllix as Kennedy was over that little event maybe more so Kerr as he was the elder, Kerr had no such scruples in bending over backwards to get the rebel Keane back into the team.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast