Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Fifa's new ranking procedure

FWIW.
    http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statisti...ticleid=117943

"The new FIFA World Ranking will be published three days after the World Cup final, based on a simplified method of calculation. Next month promises to be a very different picture, given that the evaluation period will be cut from eight to four years and that a plethora of points are lying in wait from the jamboree of 64 World Cup matches. The principles of calculation for the modified World Ranking will be announced to the media and general public during the World Cup final week in Berlin."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    The old one was fiendishly complex, seemingly very clearly spelt out but with one "black box" element allowing them to just make it up if they wanted to. I expect the new system will be simpler, also clearly spelt out, but also allowing FIFA to say USA is no. 5 in the world if they want to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    The old one was fiendishly complex, seemingly very clearly spelt out but with one "black box" element allowing them to just make it up if they wanted to. I expect the new system will be simpler, also clearly spelt out, but also allowing FIFA to say USA is no. 5 in the world if they want to.
    I don't believe U.S.A. are the 5th best team in the world but they did reach the quarter finals last time out and knocked out Portugal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I may agree, but just off the cuff, where do you think the US should be ranked?
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    First up, I wasn't having a dig at the USA- was just having a pop at FIFA because the current system most definitely gives them discretion to add a mystery ingredient to the mix, despite the seemingly transparent calculation process (been discussed specifically on this board several months ago). I think it suits FIFA to have USA well ranked for marketing purposes.

But where should the USA be ranked? Lord knows. I really have no idea. I think it's really hard for us to say where a US or African team should be ranked because it's very hard to benchmark them. We see them rarely enough anyway, and even less frequently against sides we know.

My gut feeling is somewhere in 15-25 range. You?

May I put the question back to you differently? If they were a second seed in the European preliminaries for the European Championships or World Cup qualification (realistic I'd say - I don't think they could reasonably expect to be a Europaen first seed equivalent) do you think they'd qualify?
    I think they'd struggle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I know you were not having a dig at the US and apologies if I inferred that in my question. I would have to agree with your sentiment having them in the 15 to 25 range. As far as European seeding and qualifying etc....I would put them on a par with Ireland and the expectations that follow.(Never thought I would say that) And I duly expect to be castigated for that comment...LOL
    Last edited by strangeirish; 02/06/2006 at 7:06 PM.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    It is really a FIFA problem, even soccer folks in the US(e.g. Arena + the players) know the current rankings are not a true reflection on the stature of the team. Point is that they do well in the games they play. Problem is the US mainly plays teams from their region who are not so great. e.g. they breezed through qualifying using mainly MLS players for the minnows like Panama and then bringing in the Euro players for the more important games e.g. Mexico. They still suffer from the image of the team from abroad(i.e. outside US) of still not being that great. Donovan put it well in a recent article:

"There's still this reluctance around the world to admit that we're any good at soccer, so from that perspective there's nothing I'd rather do than just shove it up everybody's a-- in Germany.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...605/index.html

I watch almost all of the US games. IMO they are a little better than Ireland. While they dont have any real stars, they have a very good cohesiveness, they have better depth in certain areas and a good coach in Arena. Probably number 15-ish is more realistic assessment.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.