Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munster Cup Semi Final v Cork City

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Munster Cup Semi Final v Cork City

On the City website this game is down for Hogan Park on Friday June 16th.

Winners to play Cobh in final. If Limerick go through home venue for final will decided by coin toss.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    is this definite? any chance of getting our postponed matches played while the world cup is on. keep the squad match fit without having to play 2-3 games a week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Huge game for Cork City...their probable only opportunity to win some silverware this season following their defeats in the League and FAI Cups and their pretty poor league form...2-1 to the blues....Rico gets the bullet as a result!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    Rico gets the bullet as a result!!
    And Dolanio gets re-appointed.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    Huge game for Cork City...their probable only opportunity to win some silverware this season following their defeats in the League and FAI Cups and their pretty poor league form...2-1 to the blues....Rico gets the bullet as a result!!
    I think your getting a bit too excited bud. Poor league form?? we havnt been playing brilliantly but were still in third 2 points behind the leaders with our next game against them, with chamions league to look forward to soon.

No ones gonna be getting sacked over a MSC game

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls
    I think your getting a bit too excited bud
    bud........ BUD?! Jaysus, havent heard that one from a non limerick man before, thought it was exclusive to our place, or are we rubbing off on you lot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke
    bud........ BUD?! Jaysus, havent heard that one from a non limerick man before, thought it was exclusive to our place, or are we rubbing off on you lot
    Im in college in Limerick unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    This game will be played at the Desmond Leagues ground in Askeaton Co Limerick at 7:30 next Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For those of you who don't know where it is, firstly its called Clonreask and secondly, if your travelling from the Limerick side then bypass all the junctions into Askeaton town as its on the main Askeaton/Foynes road, its only about 500 yards beyond the last junction on the left hand side (4 junctions in total into Askeaton from bypass), its also badly signposted so be careful as you could drive past it easily (cannot see ground from roadside, trees along motorway). I am sure though that there will be officials on the road that night anyway.Should be a cracking game because I would imagine Cork will be at full strength as they will not have had a competitive game for a few weeks and the league will be starting up again a week later so Rico will want them ready.

Ps. Very little parking in ground so people usually park on the hard shoulder (on both sides), and yes cars will be safe there
    Last edited by Westside; 09/06/2006 at 11:50 PM.
    Unity is Power, Power if shared is Strength, Limerick 37 serving the Community of Limerick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    This game will be played at the Desmond Leagues ground in Askeaton Co Limerick at 7:30 next Friday.

why the need to move it at all lads? was a neutral venue required or something?

and also just curious, why clonreask, and were other grounds in the running, The Demense, in N.C.W. for example? decent enough ground, once a L.O.I. one at that, with plenty parking.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 10/06/2006 at 9:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    with plenty parking.
    I think about as much as Clonreask actually, and the facilities(ie. dressing rooms etc) at Ballygowan Park (NCW) would not be of the same standard as Clonreask. Desmond League HQ is a very good venue for this game and it also gives the opportunity to people who wouldn't normally go to see the Blues in action a chance to catch the bug

Ps. Hope the Weekly Observer / Desmond League put this game as their main soccer news in Wednesdays Edition, its the easiest way of letting the public in the area know that its going on...........
    Last edited by Westside; 11/06/2006 at 10:20 AM.
    Unity is Power, Power if shared is Strength, Limerick 37 serving the Community of Limerick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I think the idea is a good one. First up the reason the game is being played in Askeaton as opposed to any other county ground is that the ground in Askeaton is the headquarters of the Desmond League. There are large numbers of blues fans in this area of Co Limerick (I’m looking at you Westside and family) full buses and many school buses came last season and will probably again this season. League and cup games are tied to Hogan Park for licensing reasons but as this is a MSC game we can move it around. Our opponents on the night will be Cork City, we have played them twice in the last year in cork, and both in different grounds. It’s a 25-minute drive out the road; my journey to Hogan Park on a Friday night and in traffic takes me 45 minutes. The bus to Askaton from Colbert Station in Limerick leaves at 5:50, but you’ll have to make your own way back.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What type of ground is it in regards to seats and terraces or is it just a field with railings around it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside
    I think about as much as Clonreask
    they use the field type thing in front of Ballygowan as you approach it for parking if necessary, this time of year its fine for it, holds quite a lot. theres also the whole n.c.w. being the fastest growing town in the history of man to consider, but maybe some other time, would be lovely to see LOI footie back there, thats for sure.

but i dont want to nitpick, im delighted to see the club doing this, im all for it.good stuff, hope its well publicised and and attended, wish i was going.

and i dont want to rattle anyones cage here, but talking to some mates and family about it and, there will be people at this who wont have been at any limerick games due to the whole HP/car safety thing, fairly or unfairly rightly or wrongly, thats the stigma/perception thats currently attached, just pointing it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dynamo
    What type of ground is it in regards to seats and terraces or is it just a field with railings around it.
    not been there since the desmond cup final 5 years ago, so it may have changed since then, but it had railings round the side and grass embankments round the goals, i honestly dont recall if there was a stand or not, nice place to watch a game though, for sure.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

It has railings round both sidelines as well as behind the roadside goal where there is also a grass embankment. There is a stand there for a number of years as well as a state of the art floodlight system. As you rightly say its definitely a nice place to watch a game though. Hopefully the weather stays fine for this important fixture and gets more fans going to support the blues. As for parking your cars will be safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think this is a good idea.

The fewer the matches played on Hogan Park the better in terms of maintaining the pitch. Which I'm sure will benefit as much as the players from the break.

Also, building goodwill between Desmond League and LFC can only be good.

Finally, it is a nice gesture to county fans that have to travel into matches to play it in the county. I have no knowledge of this ground or NCW but the game could only be played in one place. Maybe subsequent MSC games (next year etc) can be played in other venues in the county.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    there is going to be at least one city bus going as far as i know plus cars traveling.how many people can the place hold comfortbly
    i think city will have a strong team out as they will want players match fit before the drogs game
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone
    how many people can the place hold comfortbly
    I would say about 1500-1800 max, that would be a couple of 100 in the stand and the banks around the ground could hold people about 10 deep, so hopefully we get a full house/nice evening and the place will be hopping.

Ps. Gael.... do you know if the Observer are doing a news spread on this fixture, its vital to getting a big crowd, that paper sells more than the Leader in these parts and is out on Wednesdays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and also just curious, why clonreask, and were other grounds in the running, The Demense, in N.C.W. for example? decent enough ground, once a L.O.I. one at that, with plenty parking.
    Ballygowan Park / Demense does not have any floodlights (Clonreask does) should the game go to extra time, and also its not Desmond League HQ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast