Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donegal Celtic promoted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Donegal Celtic promoted

They drew 0-0 with Institute in the second leg, so they win the tie 3-1 on aggregate. It'll be interesting to see how the people of West Belfast respond to having a top flight club, and by that I just mean numbers wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well done DC but please don't go the CliftonVILE way of being super taigs to attract support. Hardlines Stute, always welcome at the Brandy lads.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    Well done DC but please don't go the CliftonVILE way of being super taigs to attract support. Hardlines Stute, always welcome at the Brandy lads.
    From what I've read Donegal Celtic's entire selling point is a) representing West Belfast and all the obvious Nationalist ballyhoo that goes along with it and b) the 'Celtic' name.

Best of luck to them though, they seem to have done a lot in a short space of time and do a lot for grassroots football in the area. There's clearly talented people and hard workers in the club.

I think it's inevitable they will attract a large element of the Dublin Riots posse however. But they seem to have bigger problems on their hands finding somewhere to play next season.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am glad they have reached the top flight given the attempts by the IFA over many years to keep them from playing Intermediate/Senior football. They have a huge untapped market in West Belfast and I really wish them all the best but I just hope they don't get the Celtic bandwagon and all it entails.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Well done Donegal Celtic - hope they can use this to build a proper grass-roots fan-base, and not the expected 'mini-Glasgow Celtic' hangers-on .

Hard luck Stute. Gutted that I'll have to watch them playing rubbish Intermediate level games when I'm back at Christmas. Their Premier games were hard enough to watch !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el punter
    From what I've read Donegal Celtic's entire selling point is a) representing West Belfast and all the obvious Nationalist ballyhoo that goes along with it and b) the 'Celtic' name.

Best of luck to them though, they seem to have done a lot in a short space of time and do a lot for grassroots football in the area. There's clearly talented people and hard workers in the club.

I think it's inevitable they will attract a large element of the Dublin Riots posse however. But they seem to have bigger problems on their hands finding somewhere to play next season.
    Well done to DC

Perhaps you can provide some evidence of the club adopting the "nationalist ballyhoo" as you call it.

The club stood up to severe intimidation in the past and went ahead with a game against the RUC despite threats from paramilitaries. Players are drawn from all communities

The Celtic name may be a bit cynical to tap into the great Belfast Celtic who were the last team from West Belfast to play in the top flight. I know the name is used by vastly inferior clubs also.at DC's ground.

I believe Limerick remain the only club from the Republic to have played

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    I believe Limerick remain the only club from the Republic to have played
    to have played what Gary. Jaysus you're killing me with the suspense here.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Well done to DC

Perhaps you can provide some evidence of the club adopting the "nationalist ballyhoo" as you call it.

The club stood up to severe intimidation in the past and went ahead with a game against the RUC despite threats from paramilitaries. Players are drawn from all communities

The Celtic name may be a bit cynical to tap into the great Belfast Celtic who were the last team from West Belfast to play in the top flight.
    Donegal Celtic themselves have said they intend to trade heavily on the Celtic name.

Given that almost no fecker alive has any vague recollection of Belfast Celtic, it's clear that it's the Scottish version they intend to piggy-back off of. And it's clear that Glasgow Celtic support within West Belfast has more than a little to do with nationalism for many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well congratulations to Donegal Celtic on getting promoted. They have done a lot in such a short space of time. It will be interesting to see how things play out with their ground and will they ever fulfill their gaffer's claim that they will be as big as Glentoran or Linfield... I think that's more big talk than much else.

I agree with the sentiments on here with regards to people not wanting them to be "super taigs" to get in, but I think that is what we are going to get. As people have said, they intend to play heavily on the Celtic name, their colours and being in west Belfast. I am not sure I fancy more politics being mixed with the football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It would be commercial suicide not to play on the Celtic name to be totally honest. That is what the club is, they have Celtic in their name and play in green and white hoops. Fair play to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    It would be commercial suicide not to play on the Celtic name to be totally honest. That is what the club is, they have Celtic in their name and play in green and white hoops. Fair play to them.
    But they are also a Belfast side - not a Scottish one. Yet it's the heritage of the Scottish one that they fully intend to sicophant off of.

Almost no fecker alive has any recollection of Belfast Celtic, so any suggestion that they're trying to rejuvenate all of that is just nonsense. It's the Old Firm fans they're after, and just for their cash. It's a cynical ploy that will have a short life-span. Manufactured identities/loyalties never last. Just ask Dublin City fans....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    To be fair to all parties, as said in numerous threads 'passim', we can hardly expect '800 years' to be forgotten in an instant.

DC are no less likely to forget their heritage, as are L*nfield & their ilk.
    What the feck ?? 800 years of what ? Donegal Celtic aren't even 28 years old, let-alone 800. So what heritage does a 26 year old football club - most of who's existence has been in junior ranks - actually have to maintain ?? Their glorious victories over Ballgobackwards in the South Antrim Cup Final in 1987 ??

As they would say in West Belfast, 'time someone ate a packet of wise-ups'.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Almost no fecker alive has any recollection of Belfast Celtic
    And if you know your history... (and it would seem that plenty do, btw)

http://www.belfastceltic.net

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 12/05/2006 at 5:59 AM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    to have played what Gary. Jaysus you're killing me with the suspense here.
    sorry typo - to have played at Donegal Celtic's ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    But they are also a Belfast side - not a Scottish one. Yet it's the heritage of the Scottish one that they fully intend to sicophant off of.

Almost no fecker alive has any recollection of Belfast Celtic, so any suggestion that they're trying to rejuvenate all of that is just nonsense. It's the Old Firm fans they're after, and just for their cash. It's a cynical ploy that will have a short life-span. Manufactured identities/loyalties never last. Just ask Dublin City fans....
    They are a Belfast side and Belfast Celtic were a Belfast side too. They are still fondly remembered even by people who are too young to have seen them play. Belfast Celtic are still affiliated to the IFA and represented on it. Belfast Celtic incidently beat the full Scottish national team 2-0 in 1949.

Now I realise there is huge support for the glasgow side in West Belfast and DC are maybe trading a bit on that.

I think it is positive for Irish League football that DC are promoted. I would also like to see Stute come back up. It's good to see senior football back in West Belfast.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They didn't have to adopt it, it's inevitable that a team from West Belfast with Celtic in its name will set off all kinds of notions in people's heads about who they are and what they represent. They will be one of the very few teams in the Irish Premier League representing a predominantly Nationalist area and I think it's inevitable that the siege mentality is a factor in a) rousing support, b) motivating players.

But the team is there on merit and I can only applaud that.

The club has no significant support (from attendance reports), and the ground is not yet suitable to host Premier League football.

They've a lot of work to do, but they perhaps have the most marketable 'brand' (yuck!) in Irish football. So they are in with a fighting chance of bringing new supporters to the game on the island.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Almost no fecker alive has any recollection of Belfast Celtic
    Hi Steve go easy, my Granda played for Belfast Celtic and he hasn't lost his memory just yet.

Except when it comes to my birthday, the oul fecker!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    With Crusaders, Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville and Donegal Celtic, does that not take it to 5 Belfast teams in the top flight? How come we never hear complaints off too many Belfast clubs, yet a bigger city in Dublin has too many clubs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You didn't hear complaints because last season there were only 3 Belfawst clubs in the premier. Only increased to 5 for next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    And if you know your history... (and it would seem that plenty do, btw)

http://www.belfastceltic.net

PP
    If I read any more Belfast Celtic books, or watched another video about them, my head would be fried !

Simple fact is that few people have any recollection of them. That is a simple chronological fact - the team disappeared 57 years ago. You'd have had to have been at least 10 years old AND an active supporter at that time to have any decent memory of them. And if you were over 25-30yrs old at the time, you're highly likely to be dead now. Hence few people do have any meaningful recollection of them.

Belfast Celtic will always be a strong brand, but misty-eyed nostalgia will always work for some. A defunct Derry Celtic team would be a strong brand as well (if we hadn't had the good sense to kill them off 90 years ago... )

There's one particular associated-histoiry with the word 'Celtic' that Donegal Celtic openly admit they are looking to sponge off of - and it's the Scottish variety, rather than the home-grown one. It's great that West Belfast has a team back in senior football, but I really hope they build their own fan-base, ratehr than just live off blow-in's who want to wear a Scottish football top at a game and have a mini Old Firm with Linfield.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast