Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Cillian Sheridan (F Inverness Caledonian Thistle b.1989)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It'll be a crime to ignore him any further. You'd think he'd appeal to MON no end.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Where did 6 ft. 5 come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Mainly my posts it seems. I am fairly confident I didn't make it up but I'm becoming less sure.
    Don't blame yourself, CD - it's on his Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cillian_Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It'll be a crime to ignore him any further. You'd think he'd appeal to MON no end.
    I think that's overstating it a bit for two reasons: firstly this could be just a streak - we've seen it before with the likes of Joe Mason, Eoin Doyle and Aiden O'Brien where they go on a short goalscoring run and people start clamouring online for a call-up only for the goals to dry up or for them to fail to make the jump to a higher level, which leads me to my second reason: the level he's playing at. He got his career going in the Cypriot League, which is probably well below the level we would like our international players to be playing at. Now the move to the Polish League is certainly a jump in quality but is it enough to put him on a par with our current squad? Admittedly it's a little difficult to compare with The Championship or the SPL (where Sheridan's competition for a place would come from). The best way is probably look at the level his teammates and others in the league are at vis a vis international recognition, particularly as we would probably consider Poland to be roughly at the same level as us or at a level we could reasonably aspire to. Jagiellonia Białystok have one full Polish international in their squad, with one cap under his belt, one player with four caps for Ukraine and three players with extensive international experience for Baltic nations. Looking at the league more widely, the last Polish international squad featured seven players from the Ekstraklasa - so while it does appear that the best Polish players do indeed go abroad, the domestic league is of a high enough quality to justify international selection. So he's definitely worth keeping in mind but for now, I would still say that our two current Premier League strikers (Long and Walters) along with our future Premier League Striker (Murphy) and our experienced goalscorer (Doyle) would be our main forward options. I would still consider McGoldrick to have an edge based on his Championship record and the fact that he has played recently for us and think he should be the priority if we're looking to put in someone new in the Autumn qualifiers. That said, if Sheridan keeps scoring in Poland he should definitely be in the frame for the start of the Euro 2020 qualifiers and I wouldn't be opposed to him getting a run-out against Mexico just to see if he does add something to the squad.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Have to agree with the context that Sam has put it into there. I might use another angle on it. Top 5 goalscorers in the league have a goal per game ratio in and around a goal every second game, which is what Sheridan has (granted over a shorter period of games):
    Marcin Robak- veteran Polish striker with 9 caps, most of which appear to have come when he was playing in Turkey.
    Nemanja Nikolic- 23 Hungary caps (has since moved to Chicago Fire).
    Konstantin Vassiljev- veteran Estonian midfielder with 95 caps and is Sheridan's teammate.
    Fedor Cernych- Lithuanian teammate of Sheridan's. Regular for them.
    Marco Paixao- Portuguese journeyman with no caps.

To conclude, it appears that nations like Hungary, Estonia and Lithuania do pick players in this league. I would argue these countries are a tier or more below us. Sheridan merits consideration but hard to know if he will make an impact. No harm trying to find out in a summer friendly though.

Given that neither Sheridan nor Maguire (not immediately anyway) are likely to leapfrog our established trio of Walters, Long and Murphy, I would be much more disposed to Maguire being given a run for a few reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I don't think Del has said anything other than what you are saying lads. He needs to be called up for a look and some playing time. He'd bring us something a little different and, dare I say, more suited to our direct approach. Definitely needs to be looked at in the coming friendlies.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    He should be called up & made captain immediately. Get it done.

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Seanfhear raises a valid point that he has a man bun and therefore should not be allowed access to nice things.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I don't think Del has said anything other than what you are saying lads. He needs to be called up for a look and some playing time. He'd bring us something a little different and, dare I say, more suited to our direct approach. Definitely needs to be looked at in the coming friendlies.
    Agreed. If Adam Rooney is consistently making (provisional) squads, Sheridan (who is playing at a higher level) is at the very least equally deserving of consideration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    He should be called up & made captain immediately. Get it done.
    Glad you said it. I was beating around the bush.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I think MON should go out to Poland and see him in the flesh and then make decision

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think MON should go out to Poland and see him in the flesh and then make decision
    Ah Jesus thats all wrong!!he is a good looking man though😈

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I think that's overstating it a bit for two reasons: firstly this could be just a streak - we've seen it before with the likes of Joe Mason, Eoin Doyle and Aiden O'Brien where they go on a short goalscoring run and people start clamouring online for a call-up only for the goals to dry up or for them to fail to make the jump to a higher level
    I can only speak for myself but I never clamoured for any of those to be called up. I don't think any of their scoring streaks were as impressive as what Sheridan is doing at the moment.

which leads me to my second reason: the level he's playing at. He got his career going in the Cypriot League, which is probably well below the level we would like our international players to be playing at. Now the move to the Polish League is certainly a jump in quality but is it enough to put him on a par with our current squad?
    On a par with Walters, Long or even Murphy? Probably not but it should be enough to merit an opportunity I think. On a par with the likes of Kevin Doyle (at this stage) or Adam Rooney? I would think so, yes.

Admittedly it's a little difficult to compare with The Championship or the SPL (where Sheridan's competition for a place would come from). The best way is probably look at the level his teammates and others in the league are at vis a vis international recognition, particularly as we would probably consider Poland to be roughly at the same level as us or at a level we could reasonably aspire to. Jagiellonia Białystok have one full Polish international in their squad, with one cap under his belt, one player with four caps for Ukraine and three players with extensive international experience for Baltic nations. Looking at the league more widely, the last Polish international squad featured seven players from the Ekstraklasa - so while it does appear that the best Polish players do indeed go abroad, the domestic league is of a high enough quality to justify international selection. So he's definitely worth keeping in mind but for now, I would still say that our two current Premier League strikers (Long and Walters) along with our future Premier League Striker (Murphy) and our experienced goalscorer (Doyle) would be our main forward options. I would still consider McGoldrick to have an edge based on his Championship record and the fact that he has played recently for us and think he should be the priority if we're looking to put in someone new in the Autumn qualifiers. That said, if Sheridan keeps scoring in Poland he should definitely be in the frame for the start of the Euro 2020 qualifiers and I wouldn't be opposed to him getting a run-out against Mexico just to see if he does add something to the squad.
    The main reasons I think it would make sense to give Sheridan a run out:

-All of our forwards who get game time are in their early to mid thirties and in and out of the starting XI's at their clubs (at best, bar Doyle).

- Sheridan isn't just scoring goals in the Polish league, he's scoring crucial goals for the best team in the league at this moment. I think that's far more impressive than scoring intermittently or even regularly at SPL, League 1 or even Championship level. Even if it is just a hot scoring streak, why not try and take advantage of it? I don't think it is anyway, he's just continued where he left off in Cyprus, where he was playing for decent teams also, as proved by APOEL's Champions League forays.

-He's 28... if we're going to make use of him, it really needs to happen soon.

-He's a proper number nine, which is what we're lacking. His strengths should suit our style of play if he can make the step up. I don't see McGoldrick as an out and out striker and we have a reasonable idea of what he can and can't bring if needed at this stage.

I don't really think comparisons with Poland, etc. are useful, although I did find the information you provided interesting. For us, it's a case of needs must. Poland are lucky enough to have players like Lewandowski and Milik in their ranks, forward options we could only dream about. If they didn't have these kind of options I'm sure a player scoring regularly for the best club in their league might get an opportunity.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 01/05/2017 at 8:02 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Martin O'Neill is at least aware of Sheridan's current form: http://www.the42.ie/martin-oneill-ir...74703-May2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Blake
    imilarly, Cillian Sheridan has scored five goals and created three assists in his first eight matches for Polish league leaders Jagiellonia Białystok. Asked if he has been keeping a close eye on the Cavan man, O’Neill replied:

“Absolutely, very much so. I’ve haven’t been able to get out to watch him live but I’ve had the games and he has made a bit of an impact, which is always encouraging.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They only drew yesterday evening, 1-1 away to Korona Kielce and Sheridan didn't score. They will be knocked off top spot on GD if Lech Poznan win tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Lech Poznan beat Nieciecza 3-0 today which puts them top of the league on goal difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Jagiellonia host Lech Poznan on the final day, could be a big one. They also have Legia Warsaw at home so hopefully that can swing things in their favour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Jagiellonia take on fifth-placed Wisła Kraków tomorrow afternoon at home, so they can pull ahead again for 24 hours at least as Lech Poznan play Pogoń at home on Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Cillian Sheridan on his blistering start to life in Poland and aspirations to earn an Ireland recall': http://www.the42.ie/cillian-sheridan...86796-May2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Ban Blake
    “I’ve had a good six weeks in terms of goals and assists,” Sheridan tells The42. “We haven’t lost since I’ve arrived and we’ve been able to stay top of the table, which has been the most most important thing.

“From a personal point of view, I had played two games without scoring but didn’t think I was struggling because I was actually pleased with how I was playing.

“I was contributing a lot in the games and was pretty happy with how I was doing. I just didn’t have a goal to go along with it. So when the goals came, everyone relaxed. I’m sure the club would’ve had a sigh of relief as well. It was nice to get that over and done with.”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    When is polish season over lads? Will he be available for Mexico game?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Scores again today.

(Bad news for UCD, who would rather Legia or Lech win the league though!)

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast