Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Cillian Sheridan (F Inverness Caledonian Thistle b.1989)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yeah, when was the last time the League of Ireland went down to the last fixture or two?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A 14-minute video interview with Sheridan here conducted by Paweł Wilkowicz of Sport.pl:

Sheridan says the Polish league is a lot more intense than Cyprus and he's had to up his fitness levels, despite already having been in pretty good shape when he arrived. He says the style of play there tends to be fast-paced and "up-and-down", which he claims is similar to Scotland, although the standard is higher in Poland.

He also talks about going against the grain. He does yoga to improve his flexibility and to prevent injuries and future aches/pains. He has used a sports psychologist to help fine-tune his performances and also loosely follows a vegan diet (although he doesn't get too hung up on the terminology as he still wears leather and might eat the odd Haribo or something like that) which he maintains has significantly enhanced his energy levels.

He puts his lack of international opportunities down to being out of the spotlight, having moved to CSKA Sofia the day after his last appearance for Ireland (against Argentina in 2010).

It's a pity Sheridan has potentially the most crucial game of his season clashing with the Uruguay friendly on the 4th of June, but I get the impression from Martin O'Neill's words that he may not have been selected in the provisional squad anyway even if he had been available for the friendlies.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    A 14-minute video interview with Sheridan here conducted by Paweł Wilkowicz of Sport.pl:

Sheridan says the Polish league is a lot more intense than Cyprus and he's had to up his fitness levels, despite already having been in pretty good shape when he arrived. He says the style of play there tends to be fast-paced and "up-and-down", which he claims is similar to Scotland, although the standard is higher in Poland.

He also talks about going against the grain. He does yoga to improve his flexibility and to prevent injuries and future aches/pains. He has used a sports psychologist to help fine-tune his performances and also loosely follows a vegan diet (although he doesn't get too hung up on the terminology as he still wears leather and might eat the odd Haribo or something like that) which he maintains has significantly enhanced his energy levels.

He puts his lack of international opportunities down to being out of the spotlight, having moved to CSKA Sofia the day after his last appearance for Ireland (against Argentina in 2010).

It's a pity Sheridan has potentially the most crucial game of his season clashing with the Uruguay friendly on the 4th of June, but I get the impression from Martin O'Neill's words that he may not have been selected in the provisional squad anyway even if he had been available for the friendlies.
    Well that explains the man-bun and hipster beard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Huge game for Sheridan later on this evening (kick-off at 5PM) as Jagiellonia (currently on 37 points) take on league-leaders Legia Warsaw (currently on 39 points) in Białystok. A win for Jagiellonia would put them top again with two games to go. As far as the results of previous games between the clubs are concerned, Legia beat Jagiellonia 4-1 in Białystok last November whilst the sides drew 1-1 in Warsaw on the opening day of this season the previous July.

Lech Poznań and Lechia Gdańsk, who are also both on 37 points, play one another today as well. That match kicks off at 2:30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Lech Poznań and Lechia Gdańsk are drawing 0-0 as the game approaches half-time. Stream here: http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvi...m-1442236.html

I imagine that would be the preferred result for Jagiellonia and their title ambitions as it would leave those two clubs two points off the pace if Jagiellonia can manage to beat Legia later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Lech Poznań and Lechia Gdańsk finished 0-0.

Jagiallonia and Legia kicking off now at 5. Stream here: http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvi...m-1442308.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    0-0 at half-time.

Jagiellonia have created more despite enjoying less possession than Legia. They can definitely win this and reclaim the top spot. Legia haven't seriously threatened and Jagiellonia have defended well when necesssary; a big improvement on the sloppy/careless defending on show during the 4-0 loss to Lechia Gdańsk last Wednesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Aw, Sheridan has just had a goal disallowed for offside. He was offside, to be fair. 15 minutes left. Still 0-0.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Legia down to ten men. Jagiellonia putting them under pressure, but the game is into the 89th minute now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Game ends 0-0.

Jagiellonia huffed and puffed but unfortunately ran out of time in the end. Legia should be firm favourites to win the league now.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Game ends 0-0.

Jagiellonia huffed and puffed but unfortunately ran out of time in the end. Legia should be firm favourites to win the league now.
    i watched the last 20 mins. i didn't feel the home side were really pressing for a winner that much til maybe the last 5 minutes. maybe i'm too used to english/irish direct football but there were several occasions when i thought they could get the ball into sheridan but passed it around the middle instead. it felt almost as if they were happy enough with a point which was odd but perhaps they were running on empty.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Jagiellonia really should have scored with about half an hour to go when Sheridan teed up the winger on the edge of the box. Shame as they looked the stronger team. Hopefully Legia slip up in one of their remaining games and Jagiellonia take it home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Jagiellonia really should have scored with about half an hour to go when Sheridan teed up the winger on the edge of the box. Shame as they looked the stronger team. Hopefully Legia slip up in one of their remaining games and Jagiellonia take it home.
    Jagiellonia did look the stronger of the two, although I suspect Legia were happy to take an away draw rather than risk going all out for a win considering they were away from home and the draw still left them two points ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cillian Sheridan
    Looking back, at times I was young and stupid. I was 21, trying to work out how things are in Bulgaria. I got lazy in training and wasn’t doing things right. Even with the language, I was expecting people to always speak English. How ignorant is that?
    A bit off topic but just in relation to this, I noticed Antonio Valencia doing an interview on Sky or BT recently and he had to do it Spanish. Thought that was amazing really for a guy that has been playing in England for over ten years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It was like 'Where's Wally?' trying to find the two APOEL jerseys that Sheridan was talking about in Messi's collection.

Took me a while to spot the ones under the glass floor:

No. 28 Mario Sergio
    No. 30 Tomás Di Vincenti

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    A bit off topic but just in relation to this, I noticed Antonio Valencia doing an interview on Sky or BT recently and he had to do it Spanish. Thought that was amazing really for a guy that has been playing in England for over ten years.
    Kevin Kilbane said the following about Valencia a few months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kilbane
    It's never really been reported about Antonio - he was basically born in extreme poverty. No education, brought over to England from Villarreal. Paul Jewell brought him - someone saw him, I think it was the 2006 World Cup. He couldn't speak English at all, and that was down to his education. He couldn't fathom it out...so we had an interpreter with us at Wigan for such a long time, who used to sit in the dressing room. So you imagine, you have Paul Jewell there who used to eff and jeff and everything at us. And he (the interpreter) used to interpret everything back of Paul Jewell's team talk to Antonio in the corner. So he'd be whispering to Antonio in some other language. What he's done in his life, Antonio, is just exceptional. And I've got total admiration for him.
    It seems Valencia hadn't a word of English when he arrived in England, but I would get the impression from Kilbane's words that that has changed. I suspect the Sky interview was done in Spanish as Valencia would still feel a lot more comfortable and coherent when speaking in Spanish.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    doesn't he pay for everything in his home village as well? And I really mean everything, IIRC he owns the power plant, the school, etc
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It seems Valencia hadn't a word of English when he arrived in England, but I would get the impression from Kilbane's words that that has changed. I suspect the Sky interview was done in Spanish as Valencia would still feel a lot more comfortable and coherent when speaking in Spanish.
    Interesting. Kilbane is great, seems to have crossed paths with everybody, brilliant addition to Newstalk.

Valencia, by the way, came across as an incredibly humble chap even through translation. I suppose the reason I was surprised it because you know he's such a solid professional as well, that it wouldn't be out of laziness or anything.

If I remember correctly, Cristiano Ronaldo used do his early interviews at United in Portuguese, he seemed to grasp the language incredibly well very quickly. He probably had a stonger base than Valencia though I would assume.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast