Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Threats of death force two soccer players to quit the North

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Threats of death force two soccer players to quit the North

FROM SHELSWEB

What a disgrace! Has there been much in the media about this and if so how can this sort of thing go on in this day and age?!
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Sounds like the handywork of Loyalist paramilitaries. Some of the groups have close links to far-right movements in Britain, and seem unwilling to tolerate anyone who's not the proverbial 'WASP'.

They've been involved elsewhere in the province in intimidating and attacking immigrants of all nationalities and colours. A few Chinese and African people were burnt out of their homes in loyalist areas of Belfast about 9 months ago. Polish people have been attacked in the Waterside area of Derry previously, for no apparent reason other than the fact they were foreign.

Whilst Republican groups are guilty of many things, they don't have a history of targetting immigrants.

Bad news for Institute as well, as they're struggling to avoid the relegation play-off spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Absolutely nothing to do with Institute or football, or even racially motivated. One of these guys got into a row with someone, threatened them and its led to this, afaik.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Sounds like the handywork of Loyalist paramilitaries. Some of the groups have close links to far-right movements in Britain, and seem unwilling to tolerate anyone who's not the proverbial 'WASP'.

They've been involved elsewhere in the province in intimidating and attacking immigrants of all nationalities and colours. A few Chinese and African people were burnt out of their homes in loyalist areas of Belfast about 9 months ago. Polish people have been attacked in the Waterside area of Derry previously, for no apparent reason other than the fact they were foreign.

Whilst Republican groups are guilty of many things, they don't have a history of targetting immigrants.

Bad news for Institute as well, as they're struggling to avoid the relegation play-off spot.
    Not like you getting things mixed up eh? I think before typing something making accusations you should get your facts right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    Not like you getting things mixed up eh? I think before typing something making accusations you should get your facts right.
    Why, do you or maybe a friend of yours know the facts David???

If not, how do you know dcfcsteve is not barking up the 'Right' tree???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Woo-hoo ! Just cuz I had the temerity to give a logical arguement elsewhere on tis site as to why I thought Linfield would finish 3rd or 4th in the current EL, David has to turn his anti-Derry chip into an anti-me one ! Well, I am flattered David - I rarely get such attention.....

As my post intially stated - it "sounds" like the handiwork of Loyalist paramilitaries. I didn't say it was, but it most definitely would not be a surprise to anyone if it was. Or are you going to deny that Loyalist groups have been involved in rascist attacks/incidents elsewhere in Derry/Northern Ireland of-late ? Also - are you aware of all the facts on this issue yourself ? If not - touche Rodney, touche....

And before you go wild with your usual conspiracy theories - I am on the record on this site for the last number of years as happily criticising Republican groups as well. Can't have you unwittingly adding to the list of fantasy evils you like to atribute to me.
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 20/04/2006 at 3:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There have been many racist attacks on people in NI in both communities that have had nothing to do with paramilitaries, a problem in our community that needs removed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Exactly Dassa and given that both of those involved were on UTV last night stating that it was not racially motivated, I think me stating there was no racial element is on pretty safe ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Krstic
    Why, do you or maybe a friend of yours know the facts David???

If not, how do you know dcfcsteve is not barking up the 'Right' tree???
    See my above post before making snide remarks please.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 21/04/2006 at 4:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    See my above post before making snide remarks please.
    But my snide remark was made at 3.44pm, am I supposed to read your posts before you post them???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But my snide remark was made at 3.44pm, am I supposed to read your posts before you post them???
    Why the need for the remark in the first place. I, and indeed another poster stated how far out the racially motivated angle was yet you see fit to come out with such a childish post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassa
    There have been many racist attacks on people in NI in both communities that have had nothing to do with paramilitaries, a problem in our community that needs removed.
    Very true indeed.

But also true is the fact that certain loyalist paramilitary groupings have close links to right wing groups in Britain. Also true that certain Loyalist paramilitary groups have in the recent past targetted - for both intimidation and attack - immigrant members of the community in various parts of Northern Ireland. Including the Waterside of Derry.

If there's a major bank robbery in Northern Ireland, people naturally suspect a degree of IRA involvement. If a group of men turn up with weapons at the house of immigrants - in a Loyalist part of Derry that has seen rascist attacks previously by Loyalist paramilitaries - and force them to leave the city, it should likewise come as no great surprise that people assume a degree of Loyalist involvement. This is not difficult to understand.

Whils there may well not have been an essentially rascist motice behind this event, i still personally suspect a degree of loyalist involvement. We all know that in Northern Ireland there are certain types of death threat that you can ignore as being big-chat from little men, and some that you have to take very seriously. This sounds like it was the latter. The murder of Robert McCartney may not have been an 'IRA activity', but it was carried out by people involved in the IRA. Likewise - though it may not have been an official Loyalist action, I personally suspect that people associated with Loyalist paramilitaries may have been involved here, given how seriously the threats have been taken.

I suspect the truth will come out eventually and prove me right or wrong.
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 20/04/2006 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Loyalist paramilitaries are by definition, fascist, racist scumbags. End Of.
    I have no time for them but in saying that some of these groups have been quite outspoken against racism. Why even mention racism though when it is simply not a factor here. Indeed if you check out the Institute forum on ILF you may well get closer to the truth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have no time for them .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Care to explain?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Care to explain?
    Not really David, but a picture tells alot of stories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So if you are pictured with someone from Sinn Fein at a football match does that make you a supporter of the IRA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So if you are pictured with someone from Sinn Fein at a football match does that make you a supporter of the IRA?
    I wouldn't know David, as I've never attended a match with either.

Note the words 'Attended with', that's different to being 'pictured with.'

So you tell me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't know David, as I've never attended a match with either.

Note the words 'Attended with', that's different to being 'pictured with.'

So you tell me!!!
    What do you want me to tell you? If someone was at a Derry City game with Martin McGuinness, does that make them a supporter of the IRA? This is going way off subject here but I do not like the implications towards me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What do you want me to tell you? If someone was at a Derry City game with Martin McGuinness, does that make them a supporter of the IRA?
    In my book, quite possibly.

But more to the point, does working for a certain security firm in Derry make you a Provo, or being a community worker from the Brandywell make you a member of the 'Provo Police'???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In my book, quite possibly.

But more to the point, does working for a certain security firm in Derry make you a Provo, or being a community worker from the Brandywell make you a member of the 'Provo Police'???
    Not at all and nowhere have I said differently. However I think you are being unrealistic if you believe that there was no paramilitary input into the "security" for our game at the Brandywell.

Living in any working class area of Northern Ireland I would say it is pretty much impossible to never be associated with someone who has served a jail sentence as a result of the troubles. That does in no way make you guilty of anything. It is obvious (to me at least) what you are referring to and my dealings with this man have been all football related.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast