Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: David McGoldrick F Notts County b.1987

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    867 Posts
    These are donkeys though, good donkeys, and our donkeys, but ultimately at the required level, donkeys.

Equally some of the proposed recruits might well also be donkeys soon too, but haven't fully shown themselves up as such donkeys just yet.

What we need is Ronan Hale to reveal himself as a pedigree chaser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I'm beginning to lean towards TOWK's way of thinking - we've made our interest known to a number of eligible players and only Will Keane (forgot to mention him) has shown an interest and he is still unproven at senior level so perhaps we should move on and start looking at our actual options like McGoldrick, who has been playing at Championship level for the past decade and has a reasonable scoring record which puts him on a par with or not far off three of the forwards we're chasing in terms of pedigree - Hogan, Jutkiewicz and Robinson
    But we have looked at McGoldrick, he's a live option. He makes the squad when fit and even came off the bench in Austria. Are you just suggesting that we play him more often? From what I have seen of him I think he's a bit of a luxury player but not really good enough to accommodate in a really serious game. Isn't he more of a link man between the midfield and a more natural striker in any case? I think it's an out and out number nine that we really need. The three you've named above fit that description a lot more but it remains to be seen if they're interested and/or good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm beginning to lean towards TOWK's way of thinking - we've made our interest known to a number of eligible players and only Will Keane (forgot to mention him) has shown an interest and he is still unproven at senior level so perhaps we should move on and start looking at our actual options like McGoldrick, who has been playing at Championship level for the past decade and has a reasonable scoring record which puts him on a par with or not far off three of the forwards we're chasing in terms of pedigree - Hogan, Jutkiewicz and Robinson
    McGoldrick has five caps and has been called into numerous squads since 2014. I rate him and, sure, maybe we could utilise him some more in upcoming friendlies, but it's not really as if he has been ignored.

In terms of looking at our available options or attempting to recruit guys like Hogan or Robinson, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Isn't it possible to do both? It's only a matter of having someone communicate with the latter on behalf of the FAI to let them know the situation and to gauge their interest. If they reject your declaration of interest, what more can you do?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Perhaps International football doesn't seem all that attractive to some of these possibilities these days...

Does it effect their earning potential......... Clubs may prefer players not playing international football

Does it effect possible transfers to " Bigger Clubs ".... Clubs may prefer players not playing international football

Potential injuries and the travel / time involved in playing international football...... Clubs may prefer players not playing international football

If you are treating your career as a business (which it probably is /definitely ) then does playing international football for small countries like Ireland make sense.......... ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Perhaps International football doesn't seem all that attractive to some of these possibilities these days...

Does it effect their earning potential.........
    I would say it would enhance players' value, marketability and earning potential. The obvious problem though from our perspective is that an England cap, for example, will potentially prove much more valuable to a player in strict financial terms (ignoring the emotional side of things) than an Ireland cap would, and money talks.

As do agents. The agent is a much more powerful and influential being in the modern game and he or she will be advising players' on a career-focused basis and on how to maximise their value and earning potential, rather than on how to explore their heritage or get closer to their cultural roots.

It's only natural that dual national players will be heavily influenced and motivated by potential financial incentives given any decision they make on international football will directly affect their future career, livelihood and security. Consequently, I'm sure many dual nationals will consider the financial factor - along with other factors, no doubt - and many may be happier to hold out for a single/handful of England cap(s) than rack them up for Ireland.

Clubs may prefer players not playing international football
    Probably true, considering international breaks can impact negatively upon fluidity (in terms of training, organisation and tactics) at the club and there is also the potential for players to pick up injuries whilst on international duty. You can see how it grates with Everton when their Irish players pick up or aggravate injuries whilst on international duty with us and it was obvious that Alex Ferguson pressured Roy Keane to avoid friendlies back in the day.

Players will also be expending considerable energy whilst away on international duty - both playing for their country and potentially travelling long cross-continental or cross-global distances - and I'm sure any club would prefer this time and energy to be invested in the club instead.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    But we have looked at McGoldrick, he's a live option. He makes the squad when fit and even came off the bench in Austria. Are you just suggesting that we play him more often? From what I have seen of him I think he's a bit of a luxury player but not really good enough to accommodate in a really serious game. Isn't he more of a link man between the midfield and a more natural striker in any case? I think it's an out and out number nine that we really need. The three you've named above fit that description a lot more but it remains to be seen if they're interested and/or good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    McGoldrick has five caps and has been called into numerous squads since 2014. I rate him and, sure, maybe we could utilise him some more in upcoming friendlies, but it's not really as if he has been ignored.

In terms of looking at our available options or attempting to recruit guys like Hogan or Robinson, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Isn't it possible to do both? It's only a matter of having someone communicate with the latter on behalf of the FAI to let them know the situation and to gauge their interest. If they reject your declaration of interest, what more can you do?
    My main point is that previously I had been thinking of the start of the next qualifiers as the point where we would have to start replacing strikers, but with some on this forum fretting about the performance of Walters and Doyle recently and with Murphy in and out of the Newcastle team, I started wondering whether they will be able to provide the necessary contributions in six months' time - we may need reinforcements sooner than anticipated and McGoldrick is best positioned to come in if necessary, based on his Championship experience and his five caps. But I would be concerned about him playing in vital fall qualifiers with only five caps and 12 minutes of competitive international football under his belt (that said, Darren Randolph. And hopefully his cameo against Austria is a sign that MON acknowledges the impending situation and is prepping him for more action later). So ultimately, my point is that I think he should get significant game time against Mexico and Uruguay and in any other post- and pre-season friendlies before we go to Georgia in September.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I've said it before. Lads like Christie and McGoldrick and Christie didn't need prompting to play for us.

We don't have a good track record of coaxing players who need begging, like Hogan, Redmond and Bamford.

I wouldn't get hung up on them.

We have managed to score goals in the absence of one of our most crucial players and highest goalscorer, Robbie Keane.

I am confident we will continue to do so.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I've said it before. Lads like Christie and McGoldrick and Christie didn't need prompting to play for us.
    You can add Christie to that list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    My main point is that previously I had been thinking of the start of the next qualifiers as the point where we would have to start replacing strikers, but with some on this forum fretting about the performance of Walters and Doyle recently and with Murphy in and out of the Newcastle team, I started wondering whether they will be able to provide the necessary contributions in six months' time - we may need reinforcements sooner than anticipated and McGoldrick is best positioned to come in if necessary, based on his Championship experience and his five caps. But I would be concerned about him playing in vital fall qualifiers with only five caps and 12 minutes of competitive international football under his belt (that said, Darren Randolph. And hopefully his cameo against Austria is a sign that MON acknowledges the impending situation and is prepping him for more action later). So ultimately, my point is that I think he should get significant game time against Mexico and Uruguay and in any other post- and pre-season friendlies before we go to Georgia in September.
    No disagreement there, but no harm in still making inquiries with other potential options of dual nationality either. It doesn't have to be one or the other and there's absolutely nothing to lose from asking, except for a possible little bit of face if a player snubs an advance, but that's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    No disagreement there, but no harm in still making inquiries with other potential options of dual nationality either. It doesn't have to be one or the other and there's absolutely nothing to lose from asking, except for a possible little bit of face if a player snubs an advance, but that's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
    It can be nice to be asked and kinda could break the ice and there is nothing wrong with a no thank You or even a polite give me some time (a reasonable amount of time) to think about it................

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    I've said it before. Lads like Christie and McGoldrick didn't need prompting to play for us.
    You've also questioned their motivation and attachment. Specifically in these two cases, and in McGoldrick's case quite recently. I think it's bizarre that you now cite each of these as a shining example of non-Irish born players committing given that you've criticised different aspects of their attachment in the past.

14. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    These are donkeys though, good donkeys, and our donkeys, but ultimately at the required level, donkeys.

Equally some of the proposed recruits might well also be donkeys soon too, but haven't fully shown themselves up as such donkeys just yet.
    Yes, but such is the standard of international football, that many of the opposition also have donkeys so it's a question of whether our donkeys are better than theirs, otherwise you end up looking like a jackass.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    You've also questioned their motivation and attachment. Specifically in these two cases, and in McGoldrick's case quite recently. I think it's bizarre that you now cite each of these as a shining example of non-Irish born players committing given that you've criticised different aspects of their attachment in the past.
    Point out where I said Christie and McGoldrick weren't committed. Christie, himself, said that Ireland was not his first choice; he was up front about it. I've also responded to what you've said about McGoldrick and I don't think I have anything to apologise for.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    I didn't say you said they weren't committed. I said you questioned their motivation (for declaring) and their attachment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    McGoldrick scored tonight as Ipswich beat Newcastle 3-1 (Daryl Murphy got Newcastle's goal). It's only McGoldrick's fifth of the season but it's his second in four games. Hopefully he can get a bit of a run going in the next couple of weeks and make himself a viable option for the upcoming friendlies and perhaps the qualifiers. I think when he's on his game he's good enough to be in the squad and right now he would still be top of our options once Walters, Doyle and Murphy retire (or if one of them gets injured) so let's hope he builds this into a good run of form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    McGoldrick scored tonight as Ipswich beat Newcastle 3-1 (Daryl Murphy got Newcastle's goal). It's only McGoldrick's fifth of the season but it's his second in four games. Hopefully he can get a bit of a run going in the next couple of weeks and make himself a viable option for the upcoming friendlies and perhaps the qualifiers. I think when he's on his game he's good enough to be in the squad and right now he would still be top of our options once Walters, Doyle and Murphy retire (or if one of them gets injured) so let's hope he builds this into a good run of form.
    After the way he played upon coming on against Austria I'd sincerely hope he's never our first option.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Thought McGoldrick played well against Austria. Came on and, along with McGeady, provided a bit of calm in a team that aren't known for it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Thought McGoldrick played well against Austria. Came on and, along with McGeady, provided a bit of calm in a team that aren't known for it.
    god I have to agree with towk on this. Mcgoldrick dived in and missed an awful tackle on the half way line in the move that janko missed the sitter at the very end.it was just so lazy and brainless he just needed to work harder push the full back inside not dive in and open up the whole pitch. Still nice footballer but I wouldn't trust him anywhere but as theain striker for now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    After the way he played upon coming on against Austria I'd sincerely hope he's never our first option.
    The reality is that the way things stand at the moment, he is the first option to replace Walters, Doyle and Murphy when they retire, which will probably happen next year. And unless Sean Maguire makes an instant impact at a Championship team next season or Scott Hogan comes on board or Reece Grego-Cox, Gerry McDonagh and/or Joe Quigley has a stellar breakout season that isn't going to change. And even if one or two of those things happen, McGoldrick would still be in the mix for consideration for the next qualifiers, so we might as well give him some more consistent game-time. Who knows? If he gets settled in the games against Mexico and Uruguay, or any late summer friendlies, he might even become and option in the Fall qualifiers

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    The reality is that the way things stand at the moment, he is the first option to replace Walters, Doyle and Murphy when they retire, which will probably happen next year. And unless Sean Maguire makes an instant impact at a Championship team next season or Scott Hogan comes on board or Reece Grego-Cox, Gerry McDonagh and/or Joe Quigley has a stellar breakout season that isn't going to change. And even if one or two of those things happen, McGoldrick would still be in the mix for consideration for the next qualifiers, so we might as well give him some more consistent game-time. Who knows? If he gets settled in the games against Mexico and Uruguay, or any late summer friendlies, he might even become and option in the Fall qualifiers
    Its a timing issue. We look to have some serious potential at under 17 and 19 level (Hale, McAuley, the Southampton lads) and little at under 21.

That said, The worry is that the lads at under 17 and 19 don't push on. We have had a lot of false dawns at that level in recent memory e.g. Mikey Drennan, Graham Burke, Ronan Murray, Sam Byrne, Joe Mason.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast