Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One Cap Wonders and the nearly men

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One Cap Wonders and the nearly men

Hi folks,
    A friend of mine is working for a small film company in Dublin and they're thinking about making a few shows on the Irish team. If any of you have any information on the following, please post it on.

1 - Irish one cap wonders - even guys that came on as sub for a matter of minutes

2 - The nearly men - heartbreaks for Ireland like the Paris game in '65, failure in '82, offside decision in Bulgaria etc.

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

One cap wonders

Here's a list of players that got just one cap for Ireland. I've highlighted the ones I know anything about:

Paddy Andrews (1935), Tom Arrigan (1937), Eddie Bailham (1964), Jimmy Bermingham (1929), Paddy Bermingham (1934), Keith Branagan (1997), Fran Brennan (1965), Florrie Burke (1951), John Burke (1929), Tom Burke (1934), Paul Butler (2000), Jack Byrne (1928), Jason Byrne (2004), Sean Byrne (1931), Jerome Clarke (1978), Mattie Clarke (1950), Tim Coffey (1949), Frank Collins (1927), Hugh Connolly (1936), James Connolly (1926), Ned Courtney (1946), Owen Coyle (1994), Tim Cuneen (1951), Sean Cusack (1952), Paddy Daly (1949), Christy Doyle (1959), Denis Doyle (1926), Larry Doyle (1931), Mick Doyle (2004), Bobby Duffy (1950), Jimmy Dunne (1971), Peter Eccles (1986), Robert Egan (1929), Michael Evans (1997), Eamonn Fagan (1973), Jack Fagan (1926), Kevin Fitzpatrick (1969), Mick Foley (1926), Mick Gallagher (1954), Patsy Gallagher (1931), Mick Gannon (1971), Bobby Gilbert (1966), Christy Giles (1950), Jim Goodwin (2002), Joe Grace (1926), Dick Griffiths (1934), Austin Hayes (1979), Willie Hayes (1949), Jim Higgins (1951), Gary Howlett (1984), Mick Kearin (1971), Fred Kearns (1954), Noel Kelly (1954), John Keogh (1966), Shay Keogh (1958), Joe Kinsella (1928), Alec Kirkland (1927), Dinny Lowry (1962), Miah Lynch (1934), Jonathan Macken (2004), Tony Macken (1977), Owen Madden (1936), Jim Maguire (1929), Gerry Malone (1949), Christy Martin (1927), Jimmy McCann (1956), Mick McCarthy (1932), Johnny McGowan (1947), Bill McGuire (1935), Paddy Meehan (1934), Mike Milligan (1992), Cathal Muckian (1978), Tommy Muldoon (1927), Liam Munroe (1953), Albie Murphy (1955), Barry Murphy (1986), Joe Murphy (2003), Terry Murray (1950), Billy Newman (1969), Lar O'Byrne (1949), Mick O'Flanagan (1946), Kelham O'Hanlon (1987), John O'Neill (1960), Charlie Reid (1931), Richard Sadlier (2002), Ted Scannell (1954), Pat Scully (1988), Mick Smyth (1968), Johnny Squires (1934), Jack Sullivan (1928), Maurice Swan (1960), Tommy Taylor (1958), John Thompson (2003), Johnny Walsh (1982), Fran Watters (1926), Jimmy White (1928), Dick Whittaker (1959), Joe Williams (1937)

3. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I remember the Austin Hayes cap. A game in Lansdowne but I can't remember against whom.

Has Alan Mahon not just got one cap also ? One of the worst performances I've ever seen - every ball he passed went to the opposition (literally).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Nearly men

These were the original 'nearly men'. A super side managed by Hand, that got screwed in Belgium, and in Rotterdam by disgraceful refereeing decisions.

I was only 13 or 14, but I cried bitter tears over some of these games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I was at most of those games. Belgium was a disaster. A wet and windy night in Heysel stadium. There was a fairly good Irish support at the game and we conceded a goal with not long to go. Can't remember clearly whether it was a free kick or not that resulted in the goal but it was the usual sad traipse home from an away game. I don't remember us being robbed in Holland. Great performance in the 2-2 draw coming from behind. I think Lawrenson made a good run for the equaliser scored by Stapleton I think. One of our best away performances ever. A young Ronnie Whelan came on as a sub in that game for Mick Martin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    I remember the Austin Hayes cap. A game in Lansdowne but I can't remember against whom..
    Wednesday, May 2nd, 1979

European Championship qualifier

Lansdowne Road, Dublin

Republic of Ireland 2 (Daly, Givens)
    Denmark 0

Ireland: Gerry Peyton (Fulham), Eamonn Gregg (Bohemians), Paddy Mulligan (West Bromwich Albion), Mick Martin (Newcastle United), Jimmy Holmes (Tottenham), Gerry Daly (Derby County), Johnny Giles (Shamrock Rovers) capt, Liam Brady (Arsenal), Austin Hayes (Southampton), Frank Stapleton (Arsenal), Don Givens (Birmingham City)

Subs: Mickey Walsh (Queen's Park Rangers) for Hayes 61 mins, Paul McGee (Queen's Park Rangers) for Givens 71 mins

Manager: Johnny Giles

Denmark: Kjaer, F Nielsen, Rontved, Larsen, Lerby, Olsen, Arnesen, Lund, Simonsen, B Nielsen, Elkjaer

Subs: Agerbeck for B Nielsen 76 mins

Referee: Vautrot (France)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not too many of the one cap winners were expected to make any impact or become a permanent member of the team.
    Among those that were possibly seen as part of the future were Richard Sadlier whos career was wrecked by injury
    Paul Butler was looked upon as a possibility until he actually played and then we realised that he was woeful.
    Gary Howlett was another who was expected to go on to better things and didn't.
    For years people had been clamouring for Owen Coyle a prolific goalscorer in Scotland and England to get a game and he got a cap coming on against Holland in a friendly that Ireland won prior to the 1994 WC. At that stage there was possibly one place as a striker in the squad still up for grabs. HE didn't impress Charlton and was never picked again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Who was Jimmy Dunne (1971) ? I should remember him. Mick Smyth (Rovers) and Eddie Bailham (Rovers but before my time) I remember.

Surprised you haven't highlighted John Thompson (2003) of Forest.

I think Dinny Lowry was a LoI goalie who played for yonks and Keith Branagan (1997) was also a goalie who never quite made it in England.

Mick Gannon (1971) played for Shels as far as I remember and Bobby Gilbert (1966) was another Rovers striker who was succeeded at Rovers by the current Cork City Manager, Dayo Richardson.

Michael Evans (1997) is still scoring goals in the lower leagues, last I remember at Plymouth.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Keith Brannigan played in the Premiership with Bolton and Ipswich. I think he played against Wales with Jon Goodman

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apparently Branagan was a Bolton legend...I remember him in a few squads alright.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Didn't Goodman play as sub in the first macedonian disaster?

Owls Fan, Gerets clearly dived for Belgium's free kick. Blatant cheating. I was sick for days on end.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Didn't Goodman play as sub in the first macedonian disaster?
    Probbly did, but I'm nearly sure he played in a Friendly against Wales under McCarthy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Paris was hardly heartbreak as much as the FAI shooting their own team in the foot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I had high hopes for Mike Milligan. He was fantastic for Oldham when they played Man. U in the FA cup over 2-3 replays. Really dominated the midfield. He just never made the grade it seems.

Those matches were also interesting for the development of one Dennis Irwin.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Owls Fan, Gerets clearly dived for Belgium's free kick. Blatant cheating. I was sick for days on end.
    Don't remember it on the night and haven't seen it since. Remember the goal and the ball rebounding off the crossbar on to the head of a Belgian. Wet, misearable and another World Cup dream gone. No wonder I think Jack CHarlton is a legend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Micky Evans, called up about 1997 when playing for Saints. Some kid discovered that he was eligible and told Mick McCarthy.

He's now playing for Plymouth.
    My other posts are intelligent and witty. This one is an exception.

www.kerins.org

Playstation Network: DanK_SFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Who was Jimmy Dunne (1971) ? I should remember him. Mick Smyth (Rovers) and Eddie Bailham (Rovers but before my time) I remember.

Surprised you haven't highlighted John Thompson (2003) of Forest.

I think Dinny Lowry was a LoI goalie who played for yonks and Keith Branagan (1997) was also a goalie who never quite made it in England.

Mick Gannon (1971) played for Shels as far as I remember and Bobby Gilbert (1966) was another Rovers striker who was succeeded at Rovers by the current Cork City Manager, Dayo Richardson.

Michael Evans (1997) is still scoring goals in the lower leagues, last I remember at Plymouth.
    Jimmy Dunne was a centre-half who went from Shelbourne to Millwall, then Torquay, then Fulham, where he was a regular for 3 or 4 years. Got his cap in 1971 against Austria.
    Dinny Lowry was a GK with St.Pats starting in the mid 50's and played with them up to 1969, when he became one of the first professionals to sign for Bohs. He was one a number of 'character' GK's around the LOI at the time, John Heavey (Shels), Eamonn Darcy (Drumcondra) Kevin Fitzpatrick (Limerick) who also won 1 cap, Kevin Blount (Cork Celtic), Mick Smyth (Rovers) another 1 'capper', and Peter Thomas (Waterford) who won 2 caps. Dinny won his cap when he came on as a sub for the injured Alan Kelly in 1962 against Austria.
    Jerome Clarke and Cathal Muckian both played for Drogheda when they got their one and only caps agianst Poland in 1978.
    Peter Eccles was a centre half with Shamrock Rovers and got his only cap in 1986 against Uruguay when he came on after 80 minutes for Ray Houghton in Jack Charlton's second game. Probably holds the record for the shortest Ireland career, challenged only by Eamonn Fagan another Rovers defender, who came on as a sub. for Ray Treacy after 79 minutes in an away game in Norway. In that game against Uruguay Barry Murphy a centre half form Bohs, got his only cap, playing alongside Mick McCarthy. Needless to say Jack Charlton did not know who he was, Barry having been drafted in on the recommendation of Mick Byrne.
    Bobby Gilbert yet another Rovers player, got his only cap in 1966 against West Germany in Dublin. Lining out at centre forward Bobby hardly got a kick against a team which included a promising young German called Franz Beckenbauer. This game also saw John Keogh from Rovers get his only cap at full back when he came on as a sub. for Theo Foley.
    Mick Kearin another Rovers player, got his only cap playing at left half in a 6-0 defeat away against Austria in 1971. This team, managed by Liam Touhy, had 10 LOI players (only Paddy Mulligan who was with Chelsea was not LOI) and had seven players making their Ireland debuts. These were Paddy Roche (Shels), Mick Gannon (Shels), Tommy McConville (Dundalk), John Herrick (Cork Hibs), Mick Kearin (Rovers), Mick Martin (Bohs) and Damian Richardson (Rovers) who came on for Kearin.
    Two more 'one cappers' in the 80's were Kelham O'Hanlon a GK from Rotterham United, got his cap in a 5-0 win against Israel in 1987 and Johnny Walsh from Limerick who played in a 1-0 win away to Trinidad and Tobago in 1982.

Happy Days.
    Last edited by Superhoops; 15/11/2005 at 9:07 PM.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    To balance some of that swing to Rovers
    Fran Brennan in 1965 FB with Dundalk (for a lifetime) and Maurice Swan 1960 GK one time with Dundalk maybe played with Drums when he won his cap
    John O'Neill 1960, there was a player of that name with Waterford in the 60's
    What about Synan Braddish another Dundalk player in a friendly against Turkey and Miah Dennehy from Cork.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I thought Mike Walsh (Everton) got one cap in the 80's against Iceland? Not Mickey Walsh but a Mike Walsh. The 2 away games against France in the 70's both daylight robbery. I was at the one in 79 and again against Belgium in 81. Both sickeners. The sickest of the lot though is still the away game against Bulgaria in 77. The most blatant, biased, payed off refeering I have ever seen. That game still gives me nightmares.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    To balance some of that swing to Rovers
    Fran Brennan in 1965 FB with Dundalk (for a lifetime) and Maurice Swan 1960 GK one time with Dundalk maybe played with Drums when he won his cap
    John O'Neill 1960, there was a player of that name with Waterford in the 60's
    What about Synan Braddish another Dundalk player in a friendly against Turkey and Miah Dennehy from Cork.
    Fran Brennan was actually playing for Drumcondra when he won his only cap against Belgium in 1965
    John O'Neill who won one cap in 1960 against Wales, was not the same guy that played for Waterford. This JON played for Drumcondra before moving to Preston North End, who he was playing for when he was capped
    Maurice Swan was playing for Drumcondra, when he got his cap against Sweden, coming on at half-time for Noel O'Dwyer.
    Synan Braddish actually won 2 caps in 1978, the first against Turkey when he came on as a sub. for Gerry Daly, and the second a week later, when he started away to Poland, in the same game that Cathal Muckian and Jerome Clarke won their only caps.
    Miah Dennehy of Cork Hibs, won 11 caps, his debut as a sub away to Ecuador in 1972. He won 2 caps while playing with Cork Hibs, 8 while playing with Notts. Forest and the last one with Walsall.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast