Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 26th to 29th April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers II now just two points off Shels. When they do get most of their first team back it will be game over.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Markey is an absolute class act who'd walk into any team in the league if he wanted to go full time.

There's not many players like him. Don't think I've ever enjoyed watching a player in united park so much over the last 35 years. really enjoyable to watch him, pure magic at times
    Not sure on this to be honest. Tidy little player but our second string made him look very ordinary tonight. Maybe full time training would help but a full time team would likely have signed him by now if that was the case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Not sure on this to be honest. Tidy little player but our second string made him look very ordinary tonight. Maybe full time training would help but a full time team would likely have signed him by now if that was the case?
    Believe he would definitely be playing for a full-time team if he wanted to, the interest has been there from the likes of Bohs and Sligo but he's got a job he's not willing to give up so playing for Drogs suits his situation.

Definitely don't think he'd walk into any team in the league though. He's always been a lovely player but equally lacks physicality and ultimately end product, especially for an attacking player.

4. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    It does seem as though there was the slightest of contact and the player went down like he was hit by a sniper in the South Stand. All part of modern football…
    thought it was a dive at the time.

looking at it since I came home it’s barely contact if any, if there is any it causes him to trip over. The Drogs defence seemed to be that there was cover rather than not a foul?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Need to emphasis that the loss by Drogheda was agaist an injury ravaged, second string and kids Rovers side that have shown little form or cutting edge until this evening. Big dent to confidence for what was a bogey side and long may that continue!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    I think last night's game may have exposed the weakness in Drogs having a part time team and playing 2 games in 4 days.
    That was by a significant margin the weakest Drogs against Rovers performance I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't say Rovers were spellbinding by any manner of means but I think they got a rocket up the hole from Bradley after Friday's game.
    Burns is our best player so far this year,but I'm quietly impressed by Nugent's emergence as a strong young man in a man's league, playing against grizzled aul fellahs like Deegan and holding his own.
    Boez game on friday will be a test for Noonan and the other youngster's but you can only learn to keep your head above water when you're in the deep end so we'll see what happens.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I think last night's game may have exposed the weakness in Drogs having a part time team and playing 2 games in 4 days.
    That was by a significant margin the weakest Drogs against Rovers performance I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't say Rovers were spellbinding by any manner of means but I think they got a rocket up the hole from Bradley after Friday's game.
    Burns is our best player so far this year,but I'm quietly impressed by Nugent's emergence as a strong young man in a man's league, playing against grizzled aul fellahs like Deegan and holding his own.
    Boez game on friday will be a test for Noonan and the other youngster's but you can only learn to keep your head above water when you're in the deep end so we'll see what happens.
    Droghesa V Dundalk next Monday is going to be massive. I think if we can manage 4 or 6 points off Shels and Drogheda we will be fine relegation wise
    Fail too pick up a win in either and trouble looms

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Need to emphasis that the loss by Drogheda was agaist an injury ravaged, second string and kids Rovers side that have shown little form or cutting edge until this evening. Big dent to confidence for what was a bogey side and long may that continue!
    Not sure there Nesta. Before the draws to Galway and Shels we took Derry and Sligo apart. The loss to Pats before that was a weird one. We should have won that. Inconsistency in the final third would be my concern but we've been in control of most games which usually means we win the majority. Pretty happy with the way we are playing despite the injuries. Great to see the likes of Nugent and Noonan step in and show they are well capable. Noonan is a really special talent.

Drogs were very poor though. Maybe a season too far for Deegan?

Their keeper looks useful but aside from that they looked like they've had a serious regression from previous years. Maybe it's just the 2 game weekend taking it's toll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Its all about a battered confidence! No need for a Drogheda backlash and go on a streak of picking up points. I still feel that a significant element of us getting away from relegation will be others not picking up points and us just making up fine margins. I dont think we will battle out of the current situation by suddenly being good enough to go and win games agasint tabletoppers weekly and climb the table. If we do actually string wins together we had better rack up all available points between now and July as 2 of our better performers in High and Johnson are due to return to their parent club and Keane wont shake off his injury too quickly by the looks of it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Its all about a battered confidence! No need for a Drogheda backlash and go on a streak of picking up points. I still feel that a significant element of us getting away from relegation will be others not picking up points and us just making up fine margins. I dont think we will battle out of the current situation by suddenly being good enough to go and win games agasint tabletoppers weekly and climb the table. If we do actually string wins together we had better rack up all available points between now and July as 2 of our better performers in High and Johnson are due to return to their parent club and Keane wont shake off his injury too quickly by the looks of it.
    Actually think you'll be fine. Need to find a way to score simpler goals but you looked a better side than a few ahead of you to me. I laughed (a lot) when you appointed King but he may actually be just the stodgy auld dinosaur to get you back to basics and keep you safe.

Now take all that with a huge pinch of salt. I thought Sligo were the second coming of Barcelona at their peak there last season.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Re. the Jack Keaney incident, nice to see Johnny Kenny grab the referee's attention and admit there was no contact - thus avoiding the innocent centre-half being sent off. At 3-0 up. coasting to a victory with twenty minutes to go against a team you've totally outclassed, it was a nice gesture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Both are not confirmed as going back though, plus as we saw in the case before with Lewis Macari and one or two others, often it suits both clubs and the player to remain for the full season.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    And they will have the same bill of fayre this weekend as they are away to Pats, then home to us in the lunchtime derby on Monday. I expect Pats will beat them on Fri, but last season was a one off for us, winning both games away to Drogs, this has always been a tough old place to visit.

Anyway need to primarily focus on our own games, starting with trying to get a second home win on the trot v Shels this friday, very tough two games for us this weekend.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Both are not confirmed as going back though, plus as we saw in the case before with Lewis Macari and one or two others, often it suits both clubs and the player to remain for the full season.
    Hopefully they will stay but we also need to be plannng for them to be recalled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Re. the Jack Keaney incident, nice to see Johnny Kenny grab the referee's attention and admit there was no contact - thus avoiding the innocent centre-half being sent off. At 3-0 up. coasting to a victory with twenty minutes to go against a team you've totally outclassed, it was a nice gesture.
    I actually think having watched it back a bunch of times that there was contact of the ankle tap variety, probably accidently.
    Drogs i believe are appealing and theyh will have access to slowed down replays etc so if the complaint is denyed then we will know.
    I cant see why Kenny goes down otherwise...he is through on goals and not even in the box (if he was in the box a dive would make sense i suppose).
    If people think there was no contact then they have to believe he dived to get a free kick when through on goals with no guarantee the guy would be even sent off....i just dont see it.

And keep in mind its not a partizan viewpoint i couldnt give a fiddlers realy we were winning 3 nil and i am not a big fan of Kennys
    Last edited by sbgawa; 30/04/2024 at 3:49 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    It was a league game, not a charity match. Christ on a bike.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    3 days until Harps vs Treaty, KO time unknown.

Surely the KO time can't be TBC this close to matchday when the visiting side are travelling 4 hours and have to take half/full days off work.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    I thought there was 3 top flight games last night as the Sun had a preview for 3 yesterday or did I miss out on somethin?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    It could have been last weeks paper

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    3 days until Harps vs Treaty, KO time unknown.

Surely the KO time can't be TBC this close to matchday when the visiting side are travelling 4 hours and have to take half/full days off work.
    It's 7:45pm or 7pm. It's not like its going to be several hours difference. Calm down.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast