Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games weekend Friday 19th to Monday 22nd April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Yeah far too early to say Duff is under pressure. They are in a similar places to Bohs this time last year. Great first round of games and starting to fall off a bit. If they can steady the ship they can still easily qualify for Europe. Just look at how close Bohs got with a frankly terrible second half of the season! Missing Coyle is a massive blow for them though. Once he's back results should turn around. I was saying to the lads in front of me last night that if Coyle isn't I'm the team for Shels you'd nearly put the house on Galway. They're a hard team to break down and if they get 1 they'll happily sit back and from the sounds of it that's more or less what happened
    United are just like Shels in being hard to break down (apart from when we played Bohs) - we have won every game in which we have scored, as I said, horrible to watch but more importantly, horrible to play against.
    I suppose I don’t really think Duff is under real pressure, and he has credit in the bank for qualifying for Europe, but Devine had credit in the bank from the cup run last year and Shels are as unexciting under Duff as Bohs were under him

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    United are just like Shels in being hard to break down (apart from when we played Bohs) - we have won every game in which we have scored, as I said, horrible to watch but more importantly, horrible to play against.
    I suppose I don’t really think Duff is under real pressure, and he has credit in the bank for qualifying for Europe, but Devine had credit in the bank from the cup run last year and Shels are as unexciting under Duff as Bohs were under him
    I think you are overestimating how much credit Devine had in the bank after the cup run. Many Bohs fans, myself included would have been happy if that was his last game in charge. When Long was sacked we had many issues within the first team. Devine was given the chance to do a clear out and get his own lads in and we didn't get any better, in fact you could easily say we got worse! After the first game of the season v Sligo there were a significant number of boos and throughout all of the games up until the recent run there been a bit of a sense of apathy amongst the crowd which is worse than anger imo. On the other hand when Duff took over Shels they were favourite for the drop and in a few years he had them qualifying for Europe. It's a vastly different situation. I think Shels could miss out on Europe this and be happy enough keeping Duff because I think if Derry do sack Higgins and get his replacement right they will climb up the table, Rovers have been masters at growing into a season, Bohs look to be on an upward trend and Pat's are last year's cup winners. Finishing behind any or all of those is nothing to sniff at really.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Yeah far too early to say Duff is under pressure. They are in a similar places to Bohs this time last year. Great first round of games and starting to fall off a bit.
    Losing Moylan - the league's top scorer last year - was a big blow too.

If anything, Duffer is already exceeding last year's achievements

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    That Derry flare incident is just mad, how a kid could run on and pick up the flare and run off with it?? Was it home or away fans that threw it in the fist place? Away fans deliberately threw flares on to the artificial surface in Oriel in the past knowing that it would do significant damage - plastic burns. It resulted in sections of the pitch needing to be relaid due to burning through the surface. The lesson was basically to have a number of fire marshals at the away section with buckets of sand ready to react. The flare was sitting on the pitch in Derry forfar too long with little apparent preperation to respond. It looked bad on so many levels, the FAI are clamping down, Shels have set something of a precedence in how such incidents will be dealt with by them and Derry will be under scrutiny (or away fans if they were the culprits).

What happened after the game, missiles being thrown in to the Rovers fans is absolute scumbaggery of the highest order!! I thought that the element of lawless, ferral scum that attacked away fans and busses around the Brandywell had been dealt with. was on one of those nusses that had windows put in prior to the journey home and it resulted in bus companies refusing to travel to the Brandywell as a no go area. I will forever be grateful to the genuine Derry City FC fans that actually chased off these cretins that were attacking Dundalk fans and sheltered Dundalk fans until they dispersed. Obviously these problem people were just kept at arms length and were there to exploit an oversight in the security arrangments. While it in no way excuses what happened, if the flare was thrown from the away section and was obviously causing serious damage to the pitch, was this some sort of reaction to that possibly or would it have happened anyway in eoples opinion?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 20/04/2024 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    From what I hear all the flares ca.e over the wall , there's plenty of pics online showing lads throwing stuff from outside. The rovers fans were brought on to the pitch at the end by the stewards to get out of the line of fire

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    A good proper league of Ireland game in Terryland last night and a huge win for Galway against the table toppers. Really well worked goal and there was a fair bit of individual skill on display from a number of players and everyone of the Galway team put in a great effort (benefit of full-time setup). The strong sun did cause problems for the players for the first 20 minutes, and of course the pitch is not perfect these days, but it didn't look awful to me. I know players like having more time to pick out a pass and be more accurate, but sometimes the opposition will close you down quickly as happened last night. This game could be a great preparation/learning for Shelbourne for europe.
    Crowd a bit disappointing. Few factors I suppose, footballers and hurlers playing championship this weekend means it can't be easy for families and the performance against Bohemians was a real downer for those who were there. Agree than any talk that Duff would be under any pressure from the board, is really silly. Fair play to him to what he has achieved with that group of players. They are missing that lad from Hull (Woods I think) I would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    After the great week were we beat both Rovers it’s very suddenly back to square one. I think if we continue on the current track we will struggle to get Europe. The only portion of the game we played anyway decent was after the substitutions. I know Derry aren’t great this season but I’d consider a draw on Monday a decent result as for next Friday if fear the worst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I don't think there any doubt he can limp this underperforming team into europe, 4th most likely, but no fecker wants to watch that. We can't just get rid of him without having someone else lined up, there's notions of POD talking to a former manager, thankfully not the one named Dundalk boss. While I don't see too many other candidates I think that would a retrograde step for everyone.

There needs to be some kind of reponse on Monday, winning ugly isn't good enough, winning ugly is for contenders. Anything short of a resounding victory and he needs to be gone, preferably before Tuesday (if there a replacement in the wings). And a good win buys him to european exit before he's replaced.

Worst case he's still stinking the place up at the end of the season, and with no replacement the squad is picked apart and new manager starts from scratch again next year.

If Higgins makes it to July, we could probably do worse than name Devine until the end of the season, with someone else to come in in November

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    I don't think there any doubt he can limp this underperforming team into europe, 4th most likely, but no fecker wants to watch that. We can't just get rid of him without having someone else lined up, there's notions of POD talking to a former manager, thankfully not the one named Dundalk boss. While I don't see too many other candidates I think that would a retrograde step for everyone.

There needs to be some kind of reponse on Monday, winning ugly isn't good enough, winning ugly is for contenders. Anything short of a resounding victory and he needs to be gone, preferably before Tuesday (if there a replacement in the wings). And a good win buys him to european exit before he's replaced.

Worst case he's still stinking the place up at the end of the season, and with no replacement the squad is picked apart and new manager starts from scratch again next year.

If Higgins makes it to July, we could probably do worse than name Devine until the end of the season, with someone else to come in in November
    Fueling more Kenny rumours, Kenny Sheils though Roddy and Pat deserve another go - well if positing the possibility of Devine for a third spell why not!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Disgraceful security issues in Derry ….. beggars belief that a child can run onto the pitch , pick up a live flare and then run the length of the pitch with it … plus Derry knackers throwing objects over the wall from outside at the Rovers fans….. great result for us
    When I saw that incident initially live I thought that child was a Shamrock Rovers fan? Didnt realise that there was trouble outside the ground!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Fueling more Kenny rumours, Kenny Sheils though Roddy and Pat deserve another go - well if positing the possibility of Devine for a third spell why not!
    Is that your wishlist for next Dundalk boss?

I don't know where the next derry boss is coming from, acceptable candidates seem thin on the ground. But on the bright-side we shouldn't be scraping the underside of the barrel.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts

I don't know where the next derry boss is coming from, acceptable candidates seem thin on the ground. But on the bright-side we shouldn't be scraping the underside of the barrel.
    Kevin Deery surely would be a great option with his work with Institute or is it too soon for him AN?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

In some ways I think Derry might be suffering from having too many locals involved. If Higgins wasn't from Derry I'd be pretty sure he'd be gone at this stage. I know he's young but there looks to be absolutely no Plan B for the team. I thought Hoban might have changed this and to be fair the poor form has coincided with his injury. Some of the local players are sub-standard too. I can't be having Shane McEleney in a potentially title winning team.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Statement win for Rovers.

Big shout out to Leon Pohls. Big saves at big times. The save with his foot early in the second half was crucial. Without it I don’t see us scoring twice in quick succession shortly after.

I only realised Cian Barrett’s lineage last week. I watched his grandad at Milltown!

And Aaron Greene is special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Kevin Deery surely would be a great option with his work with Institute or is it too soon for him AN?
    Think stute are still in with a shout of the play-offs, though it's out of their hands after today. Imagine KD has some unfinished business there next season one way or other. Though him and PML, whatever has occured with him departing, definitely deserve a shot.

But I think it would be unfair on either of them to come in now. Right now what's needed is someone that's going to get this team performing, with anything less than 2nd place finish being failure. I've no idea who that someone is.

Either of those 2 deserve to come in a with a clean slate and less expectation. I see another '3 year project' in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    In some ways I think Derry might be suffering from having too many locals involved. If Higgins wasn't from Derry I'd be pretty sure he'd be gone at this stage. I know he's young but there looks to be absolutely no Plan B for the team. I thought Hoban might have changed this and to be fair the poor form has coincided with his injury. Some of the local players are sub-standard too. I can't be having Shane McEleney in a potentially title winning team.
    I mean no plan b, and plan a is don't lose when defensively we're regressing at an alarming rate.

He had three years, he knew going into this season he either won the title or that was that. He bet the house on Hoban. In theory he's the missing link, getting three point where we were coming away with one. In reality he's another regular for the physio to worry about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts

I wish we were still in the position of needing a wishlist! All of those mentioned you could argue the toss for even Roddy as a short term motivator that has gotten limited squads at Monaghan and Athlone doing something and has never been relegated!!! Im not sure King has even that. Sbgawa's newly feigned feigning interest in the womans game might shine some light on whether WNL success is in any way a serious achievement thats transferable to the mens game???

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Finishes Longford 1-4 Cork City. 4 goals shared between 2 defenders Cian Coleman and Charlie Lyons.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Lively enough affair at Bray,home side well on top first half with two goals and should have had pen.Treaty better in second ,good goal ,had chances ,Bray probably deserved it overall.No win in seven now for Treaty ,Tommy Barrett continually berating 4th official most of the game from my vantage point behind dugouts,surprised both Armshaw and Considine not starting and though second half saw improvement team lacks direction and confidence at the moment,Barretts first real interview in weeks wouldnt inspire condfidence either with the line of lame excuses trotted out...injuries, lack of experience,building a team blah blah.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Surely golden child Duff has to at least be feeling a bit under pressure now considering Shels have picked up just two points in their last four games? Not suggesting the sack for him - they are still top - but they are becoming a bit predictable and not that difficult to figure out
    No. Not even remotely. If they finish top 3 it's a huge achievement.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast