Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend Friday 19th to Monday 22nd April

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Burke out again? Also, what is going on with Byrne?
    Burke has been playing all season. Picked up a knock on Friday by the looks of it. Had an ice pack on. Hopefully just a dead leg. Pitch and Shels approach to football would have been risky.

Byrne is gargled. Or possibly on the run from the mob. Genuinely wish I knew. Bradley did seem more confident of his return recently tho....but....I've heard that before!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    A frustrating Monday night trip to the Brandywell but for different reasons this time. Pats statistically were the better side tonight in all stats bar the most important one - goals scored. Created a lot more chances than most if not all games this season and should really have gone in ahead at half time but if you don’t take your chances and give away goals as cheaply as they did tonight you’ll struggle to win
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Watched the Rovers Shels match from afar on the stream,and it looked absolute dog$hit to my old eyes- perhaps it was more entertaining in the flesh?
    Wether through injury or rotation Bradley put out a weak side against an extremely limited Shels side,and not much was gained
    One point,move on, forget about it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Watched the Rovers Shels match from afar on the stream,and it looked absolute dog$hit to my old eyes- perhaps it was more entertaining in the flesh?
    Wether through injury or rotation Bradley put out a weak side against an extremely limited Shels side,and not much was gained
    One point,move on, forget about it.
    Pitch was atrocious. Affected both sides. Both keepers made a hash of at least one backpass as a result. I'd have had a lot of sympathy for either if they'd made a bad mistake from a backpass.

Ball was bobbling up just before contact all over the pitch.

Decent point for Rovers. Probably should have won, could easily have lost. Win the game in hand and we're on top. That's quite something after just over one full round of games given the start we had.

Towell is frustrating as hell.

Another really good save at a key time from Pohls. Like ontheotherhand says, there's a good keeper in there. That's two really good games in a row now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Decent point for Rovers and good weekend's work overall - keeping title pace despite a ton of missing bodies to contend with. We need to talk about pitches though, Tolka was a disgrace last night and it's far from the only one (including the plastic abominations). All sides are being held back by crappy surfaces and it's simply not good enough.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    You do realise how expensive it is to keep pitches in the condition you expect. The kit to do so would be the equivalent of about what harps need to raise with the sale of a football ground. If every pitch was lifted and proper underground drainage installed places like Tolka could still struggle. Clubs couldnt afford 24hr atrificial sunlight electricity bills never mind the equipment. In an ideal world every pitch has a surface like a snooker table, never going to happen except with advancements in artificial pitch tech. So pragmatically you play the conditions like very football team must. Im not talking about a pitch being used to augment tactics, not cutting grass, no work done at all cause a cut up pitch nullifies a team that tries to play on the deck. Arguably money would be better spent on having a squad to suit - Towell would possibly be a sensible pick before a brittle Byrne on a heavy and uneven surface. Sometimes it just is what it is and we have to suck it up and know that usually pitches improve as the season progresses. We may need to consider the future impact of more seasonal rain especially along the Atlantic coast and those discussions will come to a conclusion of the lesser of two evils and that is the dreaded artificial surface. Id guess the MFA have at least had a rethink on the abominations! Oriel, Tallaght, Dalymount etc are not on flood prone areas and could/should always have reasonably consistant surfaces throughout the season if use is managed, others are not in such a position. So now we talk...

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I find the reaction to Duff's comments a bit strange. I didn't think he slaughtered Farrell but didn't wave it away either. It's probably a necessary reality check for a player who could be shown the door in July if they don't improve and that type of thing is needed in a lot of cases. I've seen plenty of players at Bohs given chance after chance and just not live up to it so better to let him know now that he's not at the level than ignoring it and telling him to find a new club in the summer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    will galway hit 25 goals this season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Decent point for Rovers and good weekend's work overall - keeping title pace despite a ton of missing bodies to contend with. We need to talk about pitches though, Tolka was a disgrace last night and it's far from the only one (including the plastic abominations). All sides are being held back by crappy surfaces and it's simply not good enough.
    Everyone would need to close their grounds for 18 months and put in proper sand based pitches at a cost of a minimum of €100k, conservatively, possibly upwards of €150k.

Alternatively, you could vastly increase that cost and put in hybrid pitches.

We've had one of the wettest 12 months on record, and pitches are going to suffer from that.

I'm not entirely sure what people expect from groundstaff in this country. The weather has been atrocious. It goes back to my points made previously about winter/summer football, summer football is great until you realise you cannot grow and repair a pitch during the winter off-season.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    will galway hit 25 goals this season?
    Scored, Conceded Or both combined?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I would have happily settled for 4 points last Thursday so im pretty happy now.
    Galway to break the statistical anonomely this weekend??? hopefully not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Delighted with last nights results. Takes the heat of Higgins for a while longer and puts us back in the mix.

A lot of people mentioning St Pats having more possession and potentially being the better team. If I had a Euro every time i have said that about Derry the last few years id be minted. First time Higgins decided to concede possession by going two men more or less up front allowing us to be short in midfield. St Pats where always going to have the majority of possession due to this.

Delighted though that changing the way we play meant we where a bit more clinical and took our chances when they came.

On a seperate note we look so much more balanced with Coll at left back and Doherty as the left winger opposed to Duffy. The width was there last night with Doherty being naturally left footed. It does work with Duffy cutting in onto his right foot and nor does he offer any defensive help. I would like to see Higgins use Duffy as a right winger this year instead to see how he gets on but for me now I wouldnt be changing Coll and Doherty.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    We missed out on a striker at the end of the winter window. To be 5th at this stage is a lot higher than I expected. Brendan Clarke and the defence in front of him have been superb so far. If we get a decent goalscorer in the Summer we'll finish in the Euro spots! Each game that we've scored in, we've won. It's not pretty but the few pints help!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Really enjoy reading detailed posts about pitches and pitch growth (tone: sincere)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Certainly enjoyed it a lot more than I enjoyed the visit to Tolka last night.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    They had a fire brigade (one engine) at the showgrounds pre game last night. I assume they were after watering the pitch, I noticed Alan Keane there, so it is not for lack of effort of clubs that pitches are bad. Also with the ladies league there is extra games being played on some pitches like Tolka. League of Ireland managers have been giving out about the poor pitches after games for many years now (also missing light bulbs, B Kerr), so don't expect the complaining to change.
    A very competitive game between Sligo and Galway with I think a draw was a fair result. A really nice and friendly venue to visit. Great work being done by the folks there to keep the show on the road and I am sure they are not too concerned about the opinions of Stephen Bradley etc.
    Do people in Sligo think that the gate would drop by much if the kick off time was brought forward to say 7pm, especially for Monday games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    Really enjoy reading detailed posts about pitches and pitch growth (tone: sincere)
    It could as interesting and useful as watching the pitch grow in Oriel Park! I am a total nerd when it comes to ground development, new build techniques, pitch options type stuff. I also find it interesting that no matter how unpopular artificial surfaces are, there is a pragmatic need for acceptance at times and imo more is needed on improving the simulation of natural grass rather than dismissing or banning artificial surfaces.

The issues with the new Wembley and the pitch I still look out for - height of the stands prevent natural sunlight getting to the pitch, the money spent on design and building sliding stand roofs to try fix the issue along with artifical sunlight sources would build a new ground for each LoI club, and it has been a complete failure. Computer models of air movement, sunlight, wear etc made prior to the redevelopment in 2003 (at a cost of €1.6billion in todays money) were useless. Within 5 years the pitch was laid 11 times and the FA eventually conceded that the pitch would need to be relaid approximately 65 times by last year and developed a seperate business plan to factor this issue in to their ongoing costs. A pitch that doesnt get weekly use!! Not unusual for stadia to relay a pitch with just the surface turf during a season but they cant get it to bed in at Wembley so its not just the average half a mil per laid turf pitch. White Hart Lane learned from it and why they can wheel the pitch out of the stadium when they need to (and have artificial surface overylay the grass for American Football etc. Solution for Wembley long term is to perfect the artificial surface.

Seeee nerd level of interest so I hope the sincere tone was sincere

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It could as interesting and useful as watching the pitch grow in Oriel Park! I am a total nerd when it comes to ground development, new build techniques, pitch options type stuff. I also find it interesting that no matter how unpopular artificial surfaces are, there is a pragmatic need for acceptance at times and imo more is needed on improving the simulation of natural grass rather than dismissing or banning artificial surfaces.

The issues with the new Wembley and the pitch I still look out for - height of the stands prevent natural sunlight getting to the pitch, the money spent on design and building sliding stand roofs to try fix the issue along with artifical sunlight sources would build a new ground for each LoI club, and it has been a complete failure. Computer models of air movement, sunlight, wear etc made prior to the redevelopment in 2003 (at a cost of €1.6billion in todays money) were useless. Within 5 years the pitch was laid 11 times and the FA eventually conceded that the pitch would need to be relaid approximately 65 times by last year and developed a seperate business plan to factor this issue in to their ongoing costs. A pitch that doesnt get weekly use!! Not unusual for stadia to relay a pitch with just the surface turf during a season but they cant get it to bed in at Wembley so its not just the average half a mil per laid turf pitch. White Hart Lane learned from it and why they can wheel the pitch out of the stadium when they need to (and have artificial surface overylay the grass for American Football etc. Solution for Wembley long term is to perfect the artificial surface.

Seeee nerd level of interest so I hope the sincere tone was sincere
    For clarification there isn't anything overlayed on the grass for the NFL games. The regular pitch is actually on top of a purpose built NFL field so the regular pitch is actually removed for NFL games.

You can see the process here ya big nerd

https://youtu.be/ScPBxYAmNtg?si=sHONY6BVmB0gTpwV

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I would have happily settled for 4 points last Thursday so im pretty happy now.
    Galway to break the statistical anonomely this weekend??? hopefully not
    Indoobleoobleitely. We're well on course to score a grand total of 20 goals by season's end. If we stay up having scored so few it'd surely go into the history books.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    For clarification there isn't anything overlayed on the grass for the NFL games. The regular pitch is actually on top of a purpose built NFL field so the regular pitch is actually removed for NFL games.

You can see the process here ya big nerd

https://youtu.be/ScPBxYAmNtg?si=sHONY6BVmB0gTpwV
    Typo typo I meant 'under-lay not overlay.....I need to nerd up!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast