Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 5th / 6th April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    It's also upsetting my OCD. I've been quietly enjoying the fact that all ten matches were kicking off at 19:45 Nice and tidy. Rarely happens. I'm off to line up the cans in my presses.
    It’s upsetting my OCD that your OCD is content with a same kick-off time but doesn’t extend to the games being on the same day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I'm easily pleased to be fair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I wouldn’t dream of going home the same night from Harps. The Villa Rose or Jackson’s aren’t that expensive by todays hotel prices standards if you have two people to share. It’s a slog of a drive up.
    That's a mad statement. It's closer than Derry. Surely the advantage of being Dublin-based is that you can always get back from any away match at reasonable time?

As mentioned earlier, a win is needed for Higgins. Probably an outside of it happening, but if the Brandywell didn't sell out this Friday, it would be worse than us losing.
    Last edited by brendy_éire; 04/04/2024 at 9:01 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    That's a mad statement. It's closer than Derry. Surely the advantage of being Dublin-based is that you can always get back from any away match at reasonable time?

As mentioned earlier, a win is needed for Higgins. Probably an outside of it happening, but if the Brandywell didn't sell out this Friday, it would be worst than us losing.
    It's 3 hours drive there and another 3 back. You can do it but why not stay over if there are cheap rooms? It means you can relax after the match and have a drink if your so inclined instead of rushing to the car to get home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Two and a half hours drive from Dublin to Ballybofey. Its totally bizarre to me that it's seen as a near essential overnight for some people.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Google Maps says 3.5 hours which I think is much more like it.

I've driven home from Derry after games and it's doable but a pain in the hole. Why wouldn't you stay for a pint and a quick look around the place in the morning?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I would say it's 3.5 hours if you stay off the motorways maybe. It's seen as a handy journey for Harps fans, I'd say our biggest away following this season outside of Longford will be UCD.

But when your other away trips are Limerick, Cork, Wexford and such places, then a few hours up to Dublin is a handy one anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Google Maps gives 4½ hours if you stay off the motorways. It's 150 miles - it can't be 2½ hours; that's an average speed of 60 mph. And there's not a lot of motorways in that. (Methinks this may be the Donegal driver in you...?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    It's 3 hours drive there and another 3 back. You can do it but why not stay over if there are cheap rooms? It means you can relax after the match and have a drink if your so inclined instead of rushing to the car to get home.
    Agree about the cheap room, and I'll often stay over in Dublin after a match, but "wouldn't dream of going home the same night" seems, as Nigel says, bizarre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Google Maps gives 4½ hours if you stay off the motorways. It's 150 miles - it can't be 2½ hours; that's an average speed of 60 mph. And there's not a lot of motorways in that. (Methinks this may be the Donegal driver in you...?)
    I'm making the journey today, I'll report back my findings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Route 1 the only Harps way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Route 1 the only Harps way...
    Only as far as Ardee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'm making the journey today, I'll report back my findings.
    OK - but if you do it in 2½ hours, I'm reporting you to the Gardaí

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    OK - but if you do it in 2½ hours, I'm reporting you to the Gardaí
    I used to work with a Slovakian fella who’d do Dublin airport from Ballybofey in 2 1/2 hours,he’d make extra money by driving people from Eastern Europe for their trips back home,an absolute lunatic he was in fairness!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfc_legend9 View Post
    There is a lot of discontent beginning to creep into our fanbase. The style of football has been brutal to watch the last few years under Higgins. Both the Galway game and Shelbourne game brought 'booing' at the end of the game. Never seen the Brandywell empty so quickly for the Galway game and with the Shels game people where calling for his head. Never seen our away fanbase so deflated as we are now. There wasnt many who could wait to get home after speaking to them in the Applegreen on the M1 on the way back up the road. Shels arent a great side but we are so easy to play against with the possession based game we try to implement, ball doesnt get moved quick enough and we seem incapable of breaking in behind the lines.

People will tell you Derry are underperforming but I genuinely dont think we are. Too many players with big reputations who are past their sell by date and a manager who has no plan B. He will tell you that he has injury woes and I get that with Fats, Dummigan, Diallo, Doherty, Whelan, Hoban (Now struggling) all out it will have an impact on any first team but you build a squad to win games and they simply arent good enough.

Higgins is under real pressure and to be honest if he doesnt get a result against Dundalk then the writing could be on the wall for him. He mentioned a 3year plan when he took over the job, he is now in his 3rd full season and fans wont watch those drab performances for much longer.
    TBF anyone could see his logic in signing players was flawed, getting Dundalk players past their prime or players who have spent more time on the sideline than on the actual pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I used to work with a Slovakian fella who’d do Dublin airport from Ballybofey in 2 1/2 hours,he’d make extra money by driving people from Eastern Europe for their trips back home,an absolute lunatic he was in fairness!
    Dublin Airport is scraping the edge of Dublin in fairness. You've the whole city to get through and/or M50 to navigate to get to most places in Dublin. That can easily add another half hour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I live just the far side of Donegal town and it to most places around Dublin is 3 hours. Ballybofey be similar. Two and a half maybe after midnight booting it down!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forza rovers View Post
    TBF anyone could see his logic in signing players was flawed, getting Dundalk players past their prime or players who have spent more time on the sideline than on the actual pitch.
    You could argue there was some logic to it. Getting Derry lads back to the club to galvanize the fanbase etc.

The project looks to be a few years too late for the likes of Duffy and McEleney though. They probably need a new batch of local lads coming through?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    I live just the far side of Donegal town and it to most places around Dublin is 3 hours. Ballybofey be similar. Two and a half maybe after midnight booting it down!
    My last trip down from Harps took me 2 hours 35 mins from the Stadium to my bed in South county Dublin.
    Left Ballybofey chip shop at 11pm.
    Late at night with no traffic its a different story from during the day.
    Youve only a few mad (by definition) LOI supporters knocking around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Kerry v Longford is a big match and a win for Kerry could start them dreaming about qualifying for the playoffs on the back of what would be a 6 game unbeaten run.
    There will be a bit of pressure and expectation on Kerry to get that elusive first home league win. Despite the recent good form, it's one of those where Longford might capitalise on the pressure.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast