Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1820

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I thought Filippo was fairly decent for the most part.
    So did I. He would be a far better choice than the spoofer who has just been announced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    It's just an incredibly disappointing day to be a Dundalk fan. Aincough had appeared to be doing a lot of things right since he came in like bringing in the new CEO. But this appointment is just inexplicable. My only way to try to comprehend it is one of two options.

1) You have to assume he genuinely thinks that this is a good move. In which case his judgement on football matters gets called seriously into question. So who is he listening to and what's the point of having a CEO and Head of Football Operations in place. You have to believe in this scenario that neither would have endorsed King, if they were even aware of it in advance. In this case we're into Wild Bill version 2 rogue decisions territory.

2) On the other hand, if it's just a job for the lads move and he knows King is not up to it but hired him as a favour, then he must have deeper pockets then we thought. If he's willing to basically flush his investment down the drain with relegation, then what will stop him just bailing when the time is right.

I honestly don't know which scenario is worse.
    3) You need someone quickly, don’t have a pot to **** in and King was available and cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Filippo was good if you forget his mental squad rotation policy.

But, he knew football no doubt. It was his first manager job. If he wanted, you could be much better manager now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    3) You need someone quickly, don’t have a pot to **** in and King was available and cheap.
    This doesn't add up though considering that it's been confirmed that we approached Keith Long. This would have cost compensation and maybe a bit of a delay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    The gift that keeps on giving

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Whos this Halpin bloke? When I first seen the news I thought it was a practical joke. God help us Noel bloody King. what age is he now?
    67. I don't think it's his age that's the problem though more so the fact that even at the best of times he would have been an underwhelming appointment :P

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Whos this Halpin bloke? When I first seen the news I thought it was a practical joke. God help us Noel bloody King. what age is he now?
    Halpin was the Commercial/Sponsorship Manager at Kerry last year, as that appears to be his day job, and TBF, he did excellent work in that department, getting the local Chamber of Commerce and Kerry Airport on board.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Halpin was the Commercial/Sponsorship Manager at Kerry last year, as that appears to be his day job, and TBF, he did excellent work in that department, getting the local Chamber of Commerce and Kerry Airport on board.
    Yep, HalpinSports is his company, they deal with some of Europe's biggest clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    This doesn't add up though considering that it's been confirmed that we approached Keith Long. This would have cost compensation and maybe a bit of a delay.
    That was maybe the idea but then how did you go from Long to King in a few days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    That was maybe the idea but then how did you go from Long to King in a few days.
    My own assumption based on the quotes from the owner announcing King is that he was genuinely his preferred choice from the beginning.

It seems that Halpin and/or Gartland were allowed to pursue Long and Halpin was certainly inviting applicants (hence the notification of a deadline for next Wednesday with his contact details). But it seems that when their preferred choice Long became impossible, the owner has put a halt to that process and gone with his option.

The jump only makes sense to me in this scenario, where there were essentially two competing processes and only one was going to win the day.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    My own assumption based on the quotes from the owner announcing King is that he was genuinely his preferred choice from the beginning.

It seems that Halpin and/or Gartland were allowed to pursue Long and Halpin was certainly inviting applicants (hence the notification of a deadline for next Wednesday with his contact details). But it seems that when their preferred choice Long became impossible, the owner has put a halt to that process and gone with his option.

The jump only makes sense to me in this scenario, where there were essentially two competing processes and only one was going to win the day.
    Honestly allowing that press release to go out just seems bizarre in hindsight. Something's amiss behind the scenes because if they were that close to announcing King as a manager there was absolutely no need to even put it out. Especially if he was the owners preferred choice. Why invite more applications if they are going straight into the bin? Why have a director of football operations and CEO of they are not going to be involved in arguably the biggest football decision to be made at a club? Seems like there's a few different people rowing in different directions. If your a Dundalk fan you have to hope they figure it out before the club goes under.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    He previously worked for Dundalk FC, has historical family connections to the club and is from Dundalk Im pretty sure. He has done well in developing his skillset and building his company which has some pretty big clients on the books. All the more bizzare that his efforts as club CEO look undermined at face value. I would say he knew what the reaction would be to King, mayve convinced the owner that his judgemet was off and was given a chance to approach a realistic target and active LoI manager. Once the approach was rebuffed by Waterford then BA took his man in, snap decision. A bit more pushing for Long and generally people get their chance to at least talk to those making an approach. No need for much fuss, he just had to give the statutory notice to the current employer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    So did I. He would be a far better choice than the spoofer who has just been announced.
    Every time there’s a managerial vacancy in the league the Roddy jokes come up, but I honestly think he would have been a better appointment than King for Dundalk.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

From my reading, Halpin and Garts did not know that Noel King was going to be appointed, and were caught by surprise like the rest of us.

Long, Keddy from Wexford and Stephen Kenny were all sounded out before King was appointed.

Personally, I do not think King will last beyond 3 games.

Burns and Garts were doing well (even if there was a countdown on their effectiveness of caretaker manager). There was no need to rush an appointment. I also think this Dundalk squad is well capable of staying up - all we need is a spark going forward. We have dominated midfield in games, work fairly hard, and defend decent outside a couple of games.

This King appointment just makes no sense beyond it just being an arrogant, singular, and absent of football understanding decision by the owner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Not sure it can be entirely siad that its an absence of football understanding, that is a matter of opinion. It is certainly an absence of understanding of Dundalk FC and its fans!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Last night went thro that famous interview when King was ROI interim mgr in 2013 when TOD interviewed him. God he is so bitter it will be interesting to see if Tony O Donoghue will interview him again?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Not sure it can be entirely siad that its an absence of football understanding, that is a matter of opinion. It is certainly an absence of understanding of Dundalk FC and its fans!
    Appointing Noel King as manager in 2024 is the dictionary definition of ‘an absence of football understanding’.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Appointing Noel King as manager in 2024 is the dictionary definition of ‘an absence of football understanding’.

Desperate measures!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Decky Devine given the permanent job as Glens manager. Maybe a bit surprising, based on their middling results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Decky Devine given the permanent job as Glens manager. Maybe a bit surprising, based on their middling results.
    On the basis of results certainly, but on the basis upon which the club is run, not in the least.

Which is not to say he's a bad manager (am in no position to comment), but the club is in such a state that Pep Guardiola would struggle to get a tune out of them.

One interesting comment from the club statement: "Declan will have responsibility for playing matters at all levels throughout the club, including full authority over player and senior coaching staff recruitment."

The most pressing problem at the club (though by no means the only one!) is that the absentee owner has appointed a mate to run the club on his behalf, with that mate working in conjunction with a mate of his own. Those two have screwed up appallingly, even despite having serious money to spend, so that the whole club is a bit of a shambles.

Tbf to Devine, after the most recent debacle (losing 2-0 at Cliftonville on Saturday, when apparently they were atrocious), he lashed out all round him. Fans seem to feel that while he must bear at least some responsibility, he at least spoke the truth. Apparently half the squad are out of contract next month, so it will be interesting to see who comes in instead. If they're picked from DD's contacts book, then maybe he can do a decent job.

But I would fear that he'll still be hamstrung by the clowns above him.