Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495
Results 1,881 to 1,899 of 1899

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Wasn't Kenny going to be the new Bohs manager about 6 weeks ago according to the ever reliable LOI circles?

It's blatantly obvious Stephen Kenny will be approached by any top LOI club who have just sacked a manager and it's equally obvious Kenny who is out of work would consider and look at any LOI job offer, I could even write an article in the Indo on that. If Kenny turns down Pats I'm sure McDonnell has saved his template to recycle if Derry or Shamrock Rovers have any future vacancies he will get it right eventually
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    He won't be the Rovers manager ever again methinks, and I think that feeling is mutual between both club and individual.
    Expect to see him at derry at season's end if they crash out of Europe quickly or fall short in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    It feels very Pats to be confident of something big only for it to not happen. Who knows though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    It feels very Pats to be confident of something big only for it to not happen. Who knows though.
    Maybe it’s just me, but I’d be nervous about appointing Kenny. Yeah, in one sense it looks like a no brainer, given his record in the league (Rovers excepted), but he has so much baggage with him now, post the Ireland job. He looked like a broken man by the end of that too. Maybe he can bounce back, but I can’t help feeling it would be a gamble.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Maybe it’s just me, but I’d be nervous about appointing Kenny. Yeah, in one sense it looks like a no brainer, given his record in the league (Rovers excepted), but he has so much baggage with him now, post the Ireland job. He looked like a broken man by the end of that too. Maybe he can bounce back, but I can’t help feeling it would be a gamble.
    It’s would be a huge gamble for him aswell. He has a certain amount of stock after managing the international side even though he wasn’t successful during his time in charge. He is only early 50’s so if he goes to Pats and it goes badly he could be finished. The other scenario is that he can rebuild his reputation and regain his mojo and maybe in few years move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Again I think people underestimate Sks own self assessment of his tenure as Ireland manager and there were mitigating factors that could be pointed to as not being of help to him. I think the gamble is as much that if he takes the job and say a Plymouth come calling in October after a poor start to a season, his ambition is to move in that direction and not necessarily be saying Ive just taken the Pats job and I owe it to them to stay. I know it was a pathway to the Ireland job but he didnt hesitate for a moment when offered the u21s when at Dundalk and then took staff pretty ruthlessly with little compensation from the FAI and with some inside info on contract details (probably why Im a tad cynical on contracted club staff and the worth of those contracts without a registration system similar to players). You can be pretty sure that SK would build a title winning side, if it doesnt happen immediately give time he would get it there and currently there is little opposition to create an intensity to wining a league. Longford, Bohs, Derry, Dundalk all had successes under him, he was in a Scottish Cup final with a basement club that from a long way back when he took over had them withing a win of safety last day of the season. You can point to performances v Portugal and France that indicates the potential that was developed but for whatever reason the playing levels couldnt be maintained. His achiles heel for larger clubs abroad could be the media performances and at the very least he was guilty of defending his players, but perception is important - I dont think his ability or self belief has waned and certainly at LoI level its a no brainer if his head an be turned.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 11/05/2024 at 7:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Some...interesting shouts doing the rounds that Kenny's appointment is imminent with Stephen Rice and Gartland as part of his backroom staff. Won't believe it until it happens ambitious to say the least from Pats if true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Some...interesting shouts doing the rounds that Kenny's appointment is imminent with Stephen Rice and Gartland as part of his backroom staff. Won't believe it until it happens ambitious to say the least from Pats if true.
    Might explain the sudden departure of Gartland from Dundalk. Never a dull moment in the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    That should be confirmed this week, Kenny and Gartland to Pats.

Some are saying SK was interested in going back to Dundalk, but Ainscough wouldn't give him the required time to consider and went ahead with King, I am not sure I believe that.
    Last edited by oriel; 13/05/2024 at 10:04 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    It would certainly be a huge statement of intent by Mr K. The money involved in terms of pay, bonuses and transfers/wage budgets would be on a scale not seen at the club before. I’d say European group stage football is the aim here and we are trying to get Kenny in with that in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    That should be confirmed this week, Kenny and Gartland to Pats.

Some are saying SK was interested in going back to Dundalk, but Ainscough wouldn't give him the required time to consider and went ahead with King, I am not sure I believe that.
    mad if ainscough did that. more likely SK saw the job on at dundalk and decided against it? rebuilding what you built up 10 years later isnt that attractive. pats with good money backing them, decent crowds and good youth system. dundalk beaten all ends up unfortunately for them

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Pat's have potential there for them and Kenny to be a very good match. Rovers losing €2.4m in a year with no group stage football might be paying close attention to how that one goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Would seem like a massive missed opportunity for Derry if they let Pats nab him, really feels like they are going nowhere under Higgins & of all jobs I'd imagine that would have been the most desirable for Kenny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Big news for Pats and the league if this happens, Johnny Giles to Shamrock Rovers type of appointment. He could see a pathway to the American MLS for himself if it goes well. Should be a great rivalry with Shelbourne. Who is Stephen Kenny's agent ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Big news for Pats and the league if this happens, Johnny Giles to Shamrock Rovers type of appointment. He could see a pathway to the American MLS for himself if it goes well. Should be a great rivalry with Shelbourne. Who is Stephen Kenny's agent ?
    Eamon McLoughlin

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fort...a/berater/6728

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post

Hardly on the Johnnny Giles to Rovers league..Giles possibly Irelands best ever player (or in the discussion) coming home with the at the time aim of making Rovers into a European force (that was the spin anyway) compared to a sacked international Manager going back to the league he came from

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    I see Sligo no longer have Max Mata as his loan spell is now over. That’s a blow to them given the lack of squad depth as it was already. That leaves Wilson Waweru as the starting striker with who else as backup? Is it just the young lad Owen Elding?
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    They have a Dutch striker too I think

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    Yeah Rein Smit. Few other players on loan could possibly be gone end of June so certainly on the lookout

22. Thanks From:

Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495