Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 408088899091 LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 1820

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    Declan Devine named Glentoran boss on a permanent basis,he must be unbeliveable in interviews!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Appointing Noel King as manager in 2024 is the dictionary definition of ‘an absence of football understanding’.
    You may well be spot on but until the appointment of King is an absolute failure in due course the absence of football understanding is still a matter of opinion!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    This doesn't add up though considering that it's been confirmed that we approached Keith Long. This would have cost compensation and maybe a bit of a delay.
    Or maybe Dundalk couldn't afford the compensation? Realistically, he's Keith Long. He's on a short enough contract you'd imagine with a modest wage. Waterford wouldn't have been looking for millions. I actually think it adds to Ger's point that you don't have a pot to **** in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    From what I know, King's wages will be just slightly less bunce than S o'Ds.
    Money is available for mid-season or out of contract transfers.
    Money available for renovation of floodlights and pitch.
    Debts being paid.
    Operations at ydl to resume shortly after a lot of work, time and money spent on it.
    Ainscough is definitely pumping a lot of money in to the club and definitely seems to have deep pockets and can't fault him there.

On the managerial appointment front?? ........

What can we do now except accept it and see how it transpires, I'll be in op on Friday hoping we win, same as always

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024...ith-victories/

Am I reading this right? It comes across as King didn't apply for the job but Ainscough just called him and offered him the job? Bizarre goings on in Dundalk if that's correct.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024...ith-victories/

Am I reading this right? It comes across as King didn't apply for the job but Ainscough just called him and offered him the job? Bizarre goings on in Dundalk if that's correct.
    Obviously every single one of the 70 odd job applications from around Ireland/the UK/further afield could not meet the calibre of Noel King and all CVs were dumped into the bin by Ainscough before the application deadline closed
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    In fairness to King. He is only the 2nd most surprising appointment at Dundalk in the last 4 years.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Debts being paid.
    Operations at ydl to resume shortly after a lot of work, time and money spent on it.
    Ainscough is definitely pumping a lot of money in to the club and definitely seems to have deep pockets and can't fault him there.

What can we do now except accept it and see how it transpires, I'll be in op on Friday hoping we win, same as always
    that’s a lot of money, no? How much is a new pitch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Such a pity ainscough wasn't pally with Roddy. Same era as King but with a personality and some actual achievements beyond goto staffer for the FAI under Delaney and an abject failure at that. Reminds me of Maurice setters under Jack charlton. Given the under 21s job and his repeated abject failures ignored....setters was just a pal of Jack's and a mug . King ......
    Last edited by sbgawa; 23/04/2024 at 9:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    It was mentioned that grant applications were submitted for the floodlights and pitch and I hope this really is the case. I cant recall how often you can apply for a pitch but it would be a either a 2nd or 3rd grant, its used to be 10 years a facility that recieves a grant must be used before desposal without repaying a grant so timing would better fit that this is a 2nd grant.

Dunno the exact dimensions of Oriel pitch but the Aviva is about 7200m², it was about *€20-25 per m² so round up to 200k. Infil need to be changed on H+S gounds, future proof the pitch as per the EU ban on older types of rubber infill/microplastics (https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-41033855.html). Cork infill supposedly better replicates a grass pitch, absorbs less heat, less UV degredation so should lengthen the lifespan offsetting some future cost. Not a major deal but will look better than the black rubber crumb too. *I wouldnt think any major work is needed on the pitch foundation bar the increased size, more expensive infill, cost of desposing old pitch and crumb, prices may be outdated so I'll guestimate with precision of between €150-300k. Local press quoted €1mil a while back but that seems to be to be the cost of a entire replacement of the pitch system. There was also a suggestion of an EU ban on artificial surfaces but my reading was that the ban would be on the type of infill. Figures were based on what it cost for Derry to install and or replace their pitch I think to a hybrid system. If the new pitch in Oriel is to a 1mil hybrid pitch great and a grant would be possible. If its relaying the surface layer and changing infill the 1mil is damn expensive and the Dept of Sport are in trouble trying to fund replacement pitches all over the place or close facilities at all sorts of levels. Anyway that will rear is head another day.

YDC needed remedial work reportedly to meet fire regulations and BA didnt see the cost as prohibitive. He said similar in relation to installing modular covered seating units. Covering each end of The Shed would take damn all effort imo and as Oriel has mentioned in the past, the Town end seated terrace could also be covered. The disabled seatig is now installed adjacent to this terrace so it would make sense to cover both areas. The only reason I can think of for such work not being done is fear of opening a can of worms on planning issues if planning is required, it may have been a convenient reason for previous owers not to bother but if there is no change to capacity and it probably improves safety (no standing on a grass bank), it'd be picky by LCC/DTC make a big fuss.

Id presume that debts are structured - if its not the revenue owed money it doesnt make sense for creditors not to agree to repayment plans. Of coure BA may have just cleared all debt as part of the sale but we know very little about the debt tbh. Maybe there are director loans lumped in with the 750k and where did the figures come from and when - could be from previous sources in the club that are no longer involved. We may get some insight from published accounts in due course.

I agree with TT that certainly at face value BA has been positive in getting things done that seem like basic day to day stuff sorted eg seeing that the cost of opening the YDC again should be an income stream or a cost saving facility for training sessions. There even seemed to be a previous disinterest in having the Lilywhite Lounge open toward the end of the previous ownership - it was manned by volunteers in the past so at the very least....

Im not convinced that the managerial appointment was budget based, BA has used an old contact, he was coached by King hiself and must feel that what is needed is well something in Noel Kings team management - Id like to see movement on a backroom team unless its Gartland, Burns with King just fronting things but that would make even less sense considering there is a pro licence holder already at the club that could have stepped in to that role. Tony's interview with NK was bland by past examples, I hope it remains that way due to a lack of need to question tactics and results....it will entertain fans of other clubs if King gets cranky or points on the board, playing a more direct style of football might add goals (its only agricultural football when Caulfield has teams hoofing it), Gullan seems to be getting fitter and creating a bit more, he isnt a like for like kind of replacement for Hoban yet we tried to play as if he was. A Derry fan mentioned them going 2 up top and conceding possession and being more efficient, S'OD liked his xG stats that meant little so old fashioned could be the new new..........................
    Last edited by Nesta99; 23/04/2024 at 11:22 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    Or maybe Dundalk couldn't afford the compensation? Realistically, he's Keith Long. He's on a short enough contract you'd imagine with a modest wage. Waterford wouldn't have been looking for millions. I actually think it adds to Ger's point that you don't have a pot to **** in
    Don't sack O'Donnell so I guess?

Presumably his contract has to be paid up. I don't think he was the problem unless the board blamed him for player recruitment. And have they ended up with better?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Declan Devine named Glentoran boss on a permanent basis,he must be unbeliveable in interviews!
    Maybe the Glens board were blown away by his interview
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Don't sack O'Donnell so I guess?

Presumably his contract has to be paid up. I don't think he was the problem unless the board blamed him for player recruitment. And have they ended up with better?
    Maybe this is all part of some masterplan. Sack O'Donnell and bring in a complete out of the blue almost nepotism style hire and show how bad things can go then when all looks lost bring back O'Donnell because you are still paying him and everyone (coaches, players & fans) all get behind their saviour, Dundalk escape relegation and win the cup! It's insane but it just might work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Debts being paid.

To add to that and confirmed this week by local media, they had made huge offer to Kenny, but he wanted to wait for jobs abroad, and were prepared to go compensation route with Waterford but it never got any further.

Seemingly Ainscough does have decent funds, and 2 new investors were confirmed 4 weeks ago, correct on new pitch for 2025 and new lights also, and YDC should be re-open soon and for the community.

All sounds good, then we go for King to take the manager job, its still bizarre really.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knocklyonhoop View Post
    that’s a lot of money, no? How much is a new pitch?
    Million euro at least..... probably more ?
    think the use by date for our pitch is up at the end of this season?
    Hopefully see some capital fund grants coming in.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals...%20next%20year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Million euro at least..... probably more ?
    think the use by date for our pitch is up at the end of this season?
    Hopefully see some capital fund grants coming in.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals...%20next%20year.
    Doesnt mention cost above but 1mil is usually a complete new instllation. Id have thought the upper layer and infill is all that is needed + the additions to the pitch size. I cant swear on it but after the first pitch installed while Sean Connolly was CEO (pitch sitting in Dublin Port for months stuff) it was with a grant allocation but Hiney Park was aso sold to help cover general costs and draw down grant %. I think the grant was due to expire but for some help from a politician fan. There was an issue with that surface soon enough so Gerry Matthews had a new top layer and infill done also (removed pitch was set on fire and GM sought insurance claim on the loss!!?) this was part funded by the club and field turf due to whatever issue there was and GM's workers did the work of laying the surface, never looked right with obvious joins between sections rolled out. 2017 another new surface layer was installed and is the one still in use. So things were managed wihout large grants bar the original fieldtrurf job. So Im still inclinded on this new 4th relaid turf and infilland not be the full installation cost of 1mil, that quote it think is lited is lifted from Derry info, or the 1mil cost includes both work to pitch and floodlights - inflation as high as it is and all.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I see Sean Maguire has been released by Carlisle, usually and at his age (he turns 30 this week), you think they will extend career in uk, but not sure this time, his club have been relegated so not sure he will have too many UK options.

Wonder does this open the door to a LOI return in July, who would be in the running I wonder.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I see Sean Maguire has been released by Carlisle, usually and at his age (he turns 30 this week), you think they will extend career in uk, but not sure this time, his club have been relegated so not sure he will have too many UK options.

Wonder does this open the door to a LOI return in July, who would be in the running I wonder.
    Surely Waterford considering they have a lot of Uk connections now. Hard to believe hes 30! How many ireland caps did he get?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Maguire has 11 full caps per Mr Wiki, I always wouldn't rule out Galway, re-united with Caulfield.

(just looked up Daryl Horgan on the Ireland caps, he has 17, I think most as subs, but still a decent haul, he had a great game v Bohs).

22. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'd love it if Caulfield could convince him to come out West

Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 408088899091 LastLast