Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2204

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    It's not intended as vitriol, just an assessment of the situation. O'Shea isn't qualified to do this job, he has been part of a number of unsuccessful coaching setups over the last few years, in addition to showing nothing of note in his games as interim manager.

If he ends up in the job he will be seen now as the appointment of last resort, there's no other way of looking at it. That will weaken his position from day one. Yet he seems happy to sit tight and hope the FAI fail spectacularly enough that he ends up getting the gig.

He should walk away now and earn the appointment in future through actually achieving some coaching success of note.
    It's not an assessment, it's a character assassination. You've created a ridiculous scenario with O'Shea cast as some conniving Uriah Heep lurking in the shadows. Well, he's not. You have no way of knowing he'd be a last-resort appointment - and even if that were the case he should be judged on results and not jaundiced preconceptions.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    With our budget and our mess of an association we are not going to attract any manager that doesn't come with some baggage, a spotty record, past best before date or is unproven. Whoever is announced and whenever is likely to be imperfect and grossly underwhelming to the masses. At that point, it becomes a matter of who is the best of that bad bunch. I think O'Shea is bottom of that list - fluffed audition, no experience and I think would be not much better than having retained SK. Bruce, Lennon probably next worst. Even Carsley is largely unproven although seems a decent gamble. Andersson and Sagnol would be intriguing, have potential and would get bums in seats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    What is the salary they are offering?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    It's not an assessment, it's a character assassination. You've created a ridiculous scenario with O'Shea cast as some conniving Uriah Heep lurking in the shadows. Well, he's not. You have no way of knowing he'd be a last-resort appointment - and even if that were the case he should be judged on results and not jaundiced preconceptions.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one I think. My view is that his position as set out in his quotes at the UEFA thing yesterday further reinforce the views I stated. You clearly feel otherwise, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Obviously the exact details haven't been released, but the suggestion seems to be that it's been upped to somewhere in the region of €700k to €750k per year. Obviously less than what most if not all managers in the Championship would be on, but on the other hand it's a much less intensive role.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    All leagues will be over in May, so that managerial merry-go-round will also be in full flow. There will be lots of candidates looking for a new job.
    The Premiership has had unusually few sackings mid-season this year, so the summer might well be a bloodbath. It could make it harder for the FAI to pitch with a lot of better jobs open, or it might mean there's a decent manager at a low point. I'm sure an ambitious CEO would be all over it anyway.

Oh.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    €550k p.a. basic I think.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    A lot of reports I'm reading state that Chris Hughton has got the job.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Does anybody else even half decent want it ?

Not having a go at Chris Hughton there.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Where did you see that?

Id be delighted tbh

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Like so many others, the question is whether Hughton could be bothered with it for the salary involved.
    Money has never been a motivation for Hughton - he was the lowest paid manager in the PL when at Brighton.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Where did you see that?

Id be delighted tbh
    The Indo has had a couple of pieces in the last day, that Hughton has been approached again. I think if he turns it down they'll go to O'Shea.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    The Indo has had a couple of pieces in the last day, that Hughton has been approached again. I think if he turns it down they'll go to O'Shea.
    The only thing that would stop Hughton taking the job would be if he feels he needs more time after finishing with Ghana. But I suspect that the Ireland job is the one job he would really like a shot at before he retired.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    The only thing that would stop Hughton taking the job would be if he feels he needs more time after finishing with Ghana. But I suspect that the Ireland job is the one job he would really like a shot at before he retired.
    Would he be any good do you think ?
    Would you favour him ?
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Robbie Keane would be a big PR disaster if they hired him straight from Israel so they won't touch him.
    I think we are well past caring about PR look. The guy is about to win a league title and seems to be the best young Irish manager out there
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I think we are well past caring about PR look. The guy is about to win a league title and seems to be the best young Irish manager out there
    We talking about Duff?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    We talking about Duff?
    I'd take Duff or Robbie in a heartbeat now.

Honestly I'm disillusioned with everything. I genuinely thought they were running a professional recruitment process. This week has shown that its worse than the Delaney days. Canceling the board meeting tonight is beyond belief. Absolutely believe that all Government funding should stop immediately until we get some answers from them of what the hell has gone on here. Has Canham just been conning everyone? What about Paul Cookes oversight? So many questions need answers
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I'd take Duff or Robbie in a heartbeat now.

Honestly I'm disillusioned with everything. I genuinely thought they were running a professional recruitment process. This week has shown that its worse than the Delaney days. Canceling the board meeting tonight is beyond belief. Absolutely believe that all Government funding should stop immediately until we get some answers from them of what the hell has gone on here. Has Canham just been conning everyone? What about Paul Cookes oversight? So many questions need answers
    They are all conning everyone. I'd imagine anyone with a shred of integrity left during the Delaney years. I'd love to think there are a few good people in there working for the right reasons but there's been very little evidence of that. Scanlon comes across OK, if a bit naive. But whenever I hear anyone else there talk I feel like I'm being sold a lemon.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Nice summary from the Examiner here - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-41375971.html

We really are back at Square One. It could yet be O'Shea because there's no-one else - yet it surprises me Keane, who is in club management and doing reasonably ok - has barely been mentioned at all. Some experience > no experience I'd have thought.

Hughton mentioned as taking a break at the moment. Could be seeing what happens in the summer when the club merry -go-round gets underway.

O'Shea not overly keen on interim in June either, so we might need an interim interim manager

Edit - the Indo is reporting we're making a fresh speech approach to Hughton.

But lots of stuff has been reported to date and most of it hasn't happened so...
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 18/04/2024 at 7:19 AM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I think Robbie is not being talked about because the FAI know the ****storm that would kick-off politically, at a time when it seems the government is flying a kite on recognising Palestine. We've already had TD's criticising him for taking that job, but giving him the national team would really set way more off, and there would be calls to boycott the side before too long. The identity of our national team manager, and not just the hiring process, would become a topic for committees that have power over pursestrings. And that in turn would create conditions for "political interference" claims or however you want to call what FIFA selectively enforces. It doesn't surprise me at all that the FAI is just refusing to countenance that: they've already, seemingly, told Lennon where to go for his issues, and possibly Sagnol too.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    This, from Gavin Cooney today, is fantastic

https://www.the42.ie/fai-managerial-...56205-Apr2024/

21. Thanks From: