Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2204

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Yes O'Shea was really that bad. The inability to adjust the shape to fit how the game was going will stay with me a long time
    I'm sure you'll recover in the fullness of time. Judging John O'Shea so conclusively on one poor game seems basically unfair, especially given the tolerance afforded Kenny by so many, including you. But he's unlikely to get the gig so cancel that expensive appointment with your therapist.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Really, all this process needed at this point was for a few journalists to bring the pro Roy Keane nutjobs out of hiding. If they have their man as they say they do they should just get on with it and announce him at the start of next week. Maintaining this radio silence any further is doing nothing other than giving oxygen to the lunatic fringe of the support base which, as is usually the case with an international team, is sizeable.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I'm sure you'll recover in the fullness of time. Judging John O'Shea so conclusively on one poor game seems basically unfair, especially given the tolerance afforded Kenny by so many, including you. But he's unlikely to get the gig so cancel that expensive appointment with your therapist.
    2 games, he managed 2 games where he didnt adjust the shape. Some day if you learn your numbers you might be able to afford my expensive therapist too
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I know this is probably sad and all (and maybe i need an expensive therapist too) but I dreamt last night that the FAI announced a new managerial team of Gary Kelly, Jason McAteer and Phil Babb and were calling them the Three Amigos. They said they picked Kelly to be the manager because he was the most serious of the three. Paul McGrath was also in it - he was at the media table - and he kept calling him Gary Jelly.

Might be worth a cheeky fiver?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    If John O'Shea wants to have a go at management I say good luck to him. He's got great experience as a player and has had a few coaching roles now. If he wants to have a go at it I would say he's ready for that.

Being a local I would suggest Waterford United would be perfect for him if a vacancy comes along, although they've started the season well so he might have to wait a while for that.

If he would be interested in a team across the water Bradford have lost 4 on the spin, or Inverness Caledonian Thistle are struggling. One of those might well be in the market for a new boss soon. They're both jobs a young manager as well known as John could impress in and move on to bigger and better things in a year or so.

He isn't close to being ready for the most senior coaching role in Irish football.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    True, there is a line of thinking where you could argue that it is arrogant of O'Shea to be even putting his name up here. He was told clearly at the start that he was interim manager only, yet he seems to have taken it as an opportunity to try to audition for the full time job - and in the process shown exactly why he should be nowhere near the position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I don't think he should be punished for showing some ambition
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I don't think he should be punished for showing some ambition
    But he isn't being punished. He's just not being trusted with the most senior football coaching role in the country. With what's a pretty thin CV he could have no legitimate cause to believe he would be in contention for the job.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    True, there is a line of thinking where you could argue that it is arrogant of O'Shea to be even putting his name up here. He was told clearly at the start that he was interim manager only, yet he seems to have taken it as an opportunity to try to audition for the full time job - and in the process shown exactly why he should be nowhere near the position.
    Might be just putting himself in the shop-window ~ ~ If he wants to become a manger, he might as well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Might be just putting himself in the shop-window ~ ~ If he wants to become a manger, he might as well.
    Which he does. Tony Mowbray said that was O'Shea's reasoning for not wanting to stay on at Birmingham as a coach. Wonder though with Mowbray now out ill he might have gotten a shot as interim manager at Birmingham had he stayed.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I know this is probably sad and all (and maybe i need an expensive therapist too) but I dreamt last night that the FAI announced a new managerial team of Gary Kelly, Jason McAteer and Phil Babb and were calling them the Three Amigos. They said they picked Kelly to be the manager because he was the most serious of the three. Paul McGrath was also in it - he was at the media table - and he kept calling him Gary Jelly.

Might be worth a cheeky fiver?
    We all needed to hear this.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    From Dan McDonnells news letter this morning:

"There have been plenty of jokes about the significance of the Georgia-Greece playoff on Tuesday with Willy Sagnol and Gus Poyet on either side but there are sources claiming that senior FAI figures were following developments in the shootout in Tbilisi very closely in the minutes before kick-off in the Switzerland game. And the story goes that they didn’t necessarily get the result that they wanted."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    That's the guy they were trying to get? Willy Sagnol?

I know this is tiresome to you all but it does say they have spoken to Roy 3 times.
    Maybe they are trying to convince themselves to do it or not do it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    The least surprising news of the weekend.

https://www.the42.ie/roy-keane-irela...40564-Mar2024/

At least now all the pro-Keane crowd can crawl back under the rock they came out of a couple of days ago.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Just think that ~ ~ Fine Gael managed to get a new leader in a few days ( and that looks like a shockingly bad job at the moment )

So obviously ~ ~ Fine Gael must pick the next Irish soccer manager ! ! ! ( ye know it makes sense ! )

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I know this is tiresome to you all but it does say they have spoken to Roy 3 times.
    Maybe they are trying to convince themselves to do it or not do it.
    Likely, there are different factions with competing ideas of who to hire.

22. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Greek media reporting Poyet has turned the job down, after being offered it this week.

Which would of course be at odds with the idea that the deal was sealed last month and the FAI are just waiting on March contractual arrangements to be over before announcing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Greek media reporting Poyet has turned the job down, after being offered it this week.

Which would of course be at odds with the idea that the deal was sealed last month and the FAI are just waiting on March contractual arrangements to be over before announcing.
    The entire process is now officially a shambles - advertise the job, see who applies and take it from there - you don't have to appoint someone from the list of applicants, but at least you will see the quality of coach who is interested.

My concern would be that in a panic they would bounce back to the misogynist or the racist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    hard to know what to say at this point...the whole thing has gone about as poorly as it could go. Icing on the cake would be Allardyce/Lennon in the end.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Why would the FA offer him a five year contract. We'll be in the middle of qualification for the 2030 WC in five years time.

Page 94 of 111 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast