Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2204

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Surely Steve bruce would prefer us to south Korea. They might be a better team but it's a different kettle of fish overthere

He's got to be better the JOS or as things stand nobody
    Chris Hughton over Bruce surely. Better candidate given his history as player and assistant manager with Ireland.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    I think that article needs to get the usual John Fallon treatment until such time as it's backed up by more reliable sources. But, if it's true and there's nothing further to add this week other than we'll announce someone in the summer, then that needs to be the end of it for Canham and Bonner.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Yeah, if it's true is the caveat - but this is an appointment we've been told is all but signed, sealed and delivered. I think Hall was on the panel but they can sign off before he leaves - or the Board can ratify the decision even if Hall leaves surely?

Are we going to have a case where the new manager will miss four friendlies and get thrown straight into a tie against England? That's ridiculous

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Gotta love the dig in the first paragraph here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024...s-rocky-reign/

Upheaval at the Football Association of Ireland once again. After serving three-and-a-half years of a five-year stint, Jonathan Hill will depart his role as CEO on 30 April, or early April as they presumably term it in Abbotstown.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I guess they just seriously overestimated the attractiveness of the job, and assumed they'd find a manager easily, and are going into something of a tailspin now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Chris Hughton over Bruce surely. Better candidate given his history as player and assistant manager with Ireland.
    At this stage either will be a victory
    If the summer delay is correct, then we should be happy it's defo not JOS

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I guess they just seriously overestimated the attractiveness of the job, and assumed they'd find a manager easily, and are going into something of a tailspin now.
    My guess is they built this head coach stuff around one man and one man only, Lee Carsley. Though when he said no it's now left them up ****s creek a bit. Others that would have fitted the role they wanted wouldn't touch the job in Barry and Eustace. They spoke with Anthony Hudson but he'd be a huge gamble.

At this stage my list would go Janne Andersson then Chris Hughton or Willy Sagnol. Andersson would supposedly get a pay rise accepting Kenny's wages but don't see him being open to the head coach stuff Canham has went on about.

When you look at some of the names left like Bruce for example since twitter rumours have talked about him. You probably could put all the names into a hat and just pull a name for the sake of it. When you're that far down might as well just give it to Hughton. His coaching career is just as long as his management career so he's probably you're best pound shop version of what they want for the role.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I have no big problem with delaying appointment if it means getting the right person, if that's what comes to pass. The main issue is the lack of transparency and frankly, dishonesty. You simply can't say we'll be announcing the new manager in (early) April and then renege on that and expect no reaction.

Once bitten twice shy and all that, I for one wouldn't believe a single thing the current administration say if this is how things pan out.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I have no big problem with delaying appointment if it means getting the right person, if that's what comes to pass.
    There's a limit to that though, surely?

If we haven't enticed Pep by now, we probably aren't going to get him by June...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's a limit to that though, surely?

If we haven't enticed Pep by now, we probably aren't going to get him by June...
    yes... i guess ideally before the june friendlies but failing that at least a couple of weeks before our next competitive game in sept. appointing now or early june doesn't seem like it would make too much difference to me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    My guess is they built this head coach stuff around one man and one man only, Lee Carsley. Though when he said no it's now left them up ****s creek a bit. Others that would have fitted the role they wanted wouldn't touch the job in Barry and Eustace. They spoke with Anthony Hudson but he'd be a huge gamble.

At this stage my list would go Janne Andersson then Chris Hughton or Willy Sagnol. Andersson would supposedly get a pay rise accepting Kenny's wages but don't see him being open to the head coach stuff Canham has went on about.

When you look at some of the names left like Bruce for example since twitter rumours have talked about him. You probably could put all the names into a hat and just pull a name for the sake of it. When you're that far down might as well just give it to Hughton. His coaching career is just as long as his management career so he's probably you're best pound shop version of what they want for the role.
    I agree with most of that but your pound-shop reference to Hughton, though a nice turn of phrase, is harsh. With (presumably) Carsley and Barry out of the frame and Sagnol's dark cloud, I cannot see better than Hughton to restore respect to the national side. Andersson is interesting but Hughton is one of our own and though you value him at a pound I reckon he's worth a punt.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    and though you value him at a pound I reckon he's worth a punt.
    Very good!

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Janne Anderson's last few years for Sweden have been worse than Kenny's were with Ireland. Getting beaten 2-0 by Georgia which largely stops them qualifying for the world cup automatically. Then losing 2-0 to Poland in the playoffs. Then getting relegated to League C in the Nation's League (losing 4, drawing 1, winning 1 of 6 games). Then failing to qualify for the euros in what was a pretty easy group. Highlights included losing 3-0 to Azerbaijan, losing home and away to Austria 2-0 and 3-1, and 3-0 to Belgium.

Obviously he had real success before that: qualifying for the world cup in a terribly difficult draw, winning the world cup group (with the help of an imploding germany and a mexico who went out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot), winning the nation's league B group, qualifying for and winning the euro 2020 group.

I just feel it's very likely we'd be getting a manager who is 3 years passed his sell-by date

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    hughton? dear god whats the point anymore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    If Hill has resigned who is even responsible for making the appointment now?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    If Hughton/Bruce get appointed there will be half empty stadiums. We quickly forget how bad things got towards the end of the O'Neill and Trap days. There was a reason Kenny got a chance, the fans were sick of us having 25% possession at home and just defending for 90 minutes. It got results for a while, but football has moved on. Kenny tried to be progressive and in the end it didnt work with results, but to the end the stadium was still full and it was never as toxic as the end of the other eras.

The 2 recent friendlies show that the FAI cant take for granted that the fans will turn up. I know they were only friendlies, but the way they sold the tickets and the fact that it was only an interim manager a lot of people just didnt bother going. If they dont produce a manager that can put some enthusiasm back in to the fans there is a danger that the apathy that has been allowed to fester by them fcuking around for the last 6 months will continue into the games. Yes, the England game will sell out, because theres enough idiots in the country who will want to go to see their Premiership players, but if they appoint a manager who most of would let out a collective groan at, by this time next year they could be struggling to get 25,000 at games
    Its really not that complicated!!!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    If Hill has resigned who is even responsible for making the appointment now?
    Canham is supposed to be presenting to the board on Wednesday evening. That suggests they have their guy and Hill has no more to do with it. If Fallon is right and the search goes on to the summer, then who the hell knows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Why not a reality show?
    Winner to managed Ireland!

Gordon Ramsey and the like can give tasks and challenges, and each week one person is eliminated.

The final show is the final 3. At the end, Stutts gives one lucky fella a rose.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Why not a reality show?
    Winner to managed Ireland!

Gordon Ramsey and the like can give tasks and challenges, and each week one person is eliminated.

The final show is the final 3. At the end, Stutts gives one lucky fella a rose.
    Said this before that the FAI should hire Netflix to come in and do a mockumentary. Harchester United wouldn't get a look in with the FAI.

Rather than have all these people battle it out to be manager we could just keep the job as interim only and invite people in to manage the team.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Neil O'Riordan now saying there wont be an appointment this week. John O'Shea doing interviews saying that hes not been told he wont be getting the job.

At what point do Canham and Bonner get fired for gross incompetence.