Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2407

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Well Neil Lennon is out of the picture at last - appointed manager of Rapid Bucharest - oh the fools, the fools
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone again from there sooner than we hire anyone.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Tony Mowbray might prefer international management to the weekly grind of club management.....

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    Tony Mowbray might prefer international management to the weekly grind of club management.....
    Hopefully he wants another season or 2 in club football first
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Someone from the FAI will finally break the surface on Morning Ireland later to speak about the biggest elephant in any room ever & its not Marc Canham they've sent out, or he wouldn't come out. One of those.

Will make an interesting listen. John O'Shea still has skin in the game as our Yankee friends say around the water cooler.

------------------------------------

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024...permanent-gig/

FAI interim CEO David Courell refrains from ruling out John O'Shea from permanent Ireland manager search;

FAI interim CEO David Courell has acknowledged the frustration felt by supporters over the drawn-out process of appointing a new Republic of Ireland manager.

Wednesday marks six months to the day since Stephen Kenny left his role and despite a few false dawns, the hotseat remains unoccupied, although former Ireland defender John O'Shea has agreed to handle a second international window on an interim basis.

Prior to O'Shea's first two games at the helm against Belgium and Switzerland in March, FAI director of football Marc Canham assured the public that an appointment would be made in early April.

With that self-imposed deadline now long-since passed, Courell has addressed the situation in an interview which will air on Wednesday's edition of Morning Ireland on RTÉ Radio One.

"The level of interest in this has been significant and that just reinforces the engagement of the Irish public in football," he said.

"We understand there's been a degree of frustration that we haven’t yet made an appointment but we are doing it with the best interests of the game in mind. We do not want to compromise and make a short-term appointment when ultimately, the long-term success of the men’s national team remains our paramount ambition.

"That is where we are. We’ve decided to take the benefit of a window where we don’t have any competitive fixtures to ensure that we complete our process and our search to secure the best candidate to take us forward.

"We have been rightly criticised for setting out timelines over recent months so I hope, without the risk of sounding hypocritical, we are committed to ensuring we have someone in the post by 7 September, when we commence the Uefa Nations League competition."

Mayo native Courell was promoted from his role as chief operating officer back in April and he stated that prior to this, he was very much looking at the international managerial selection process from the outside.

"First and foremost, up until a matter of weeks ago when I took on this interim post, I myself was air-gapped from the process and I think that’s testament to how professionally it’s been run," said Courell. "It genuinely has been a confidential process internally and externally.

"Now that I’m in the camp, I’m fully comfortable with all the steps and stages that have taken place to date. I’m confident we will secure the best candidate to take the men’s national team forward and ensure that we deliver success and reinvigorate the passion of the Irish nation behind the team."

O'Shea oversaw a draw with Belgium and a defeat to the Swiss in those two March friendlies and will take Ireland into fixtures against Hungary and Portugal in June. He is one of several names who have been linked with the role on a permanent basis, and Courell refrained from ruling out the Waterford native.

"It’s an open process," Courell said. "Every candidate is being considered and John has done a fantastic job for us and we’re looking forward to what he can do through the upcoming fixtures. He’s an unbelievable ambassador for the game and a fantastic servant for Irish football, so I wish him the best of luck for June and we’ll see what transpires in the rest of the recruitment process.

Courell was speaking ahead of the UEFA Europa League final between Bayer Leverkusen and Atalanta, which will be held at the Aviva Stadium on Wednesday night.

Dublin is abuzz with activity this week in the lead-up to the game and Courell promised that it is the FAI's intention to make big football nights a regular occurrence in the city once more.

"Even though our results may not have been where wanted them to be over recent years, the passion of the fans hasn’t left the stands," he said. "We have 25,000 season ticket-holders in the Aviva on an annual basis. That is the highest number across any European federation.

"We are staring into a Nations League campaign which features England as our first opposition on 7 September. Again, it will be a reminder to the full Irish nation of just how powerful football is.

"We are also looking at the next cycle and next four-year window and it really culminates with Euro 2028, which obviously is part of our wider major events strategy with regard to the Europa League and Euro 2028, which we’re hosting with our colleagues from the United Kingdom.

"That will hopefully be a crescendo, where we qualify on merit and if not, we will have the benefit of an increased likelihood of qualification through host status.

"We would then have home advantage and I would like to see us go deeper into the tournament off the back of that and it brings a raft of financial benefits to the association and to Irish football. We’re hoping we can use Euro 2028 as a catalyst to realise our programme on a facilities vision which we launched last year."

The full interview with David Courell can be heard on RTÉ Radio One's Morning Ireland from 8.35am on Wednesday.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    So fcuking grim

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    So fcuking grim
    Ah now, you have to admire the sheer balls on this bit
    Delaney himself couldn't have straight faced that.

"First and foremost, up until a matter of weeks ago when I took on this interim post, I myself was air-gapped from the process and I think that’s testament to how professionally it’s been run," said Courell. "It genuinely has been a confidential process internally and externally.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    They double bluffed us with "nothing to see here". We thought they were just deflecting prying eyes. They were just being honest.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Ah now, you have to admire the sheer balls on this bit
    Delaney himself couldn't have straight faced that.

Lol ~ ~ " " air-gapped " " ~ ~ " " professionally it's been run " " ~ ~ Is this communism / fascism ? ! ~ ~ Tell the lie so big so often, that enough people might believe it ! !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Hopefully he wants another season or 2 in club football first
    Mowbray is a very decent guy and, subject to his health being up to it, would actually be a very good appointment compared to many names that have been put forward.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Mowbray is a very decent guy and, subject to his health being up to it, would actually be a very good appointment compared to many names that have been put forward.
    I agree - not the same level of club success as Chris Hughton (or the experience that Hughton gained with Ghana) - but he would steady the ship and seems to have an idea about what he is doing.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Fatih Terim has been sacked by Panathinaikos. Loads of international experience,.
    That probably rules him out of our budget straight away...

Interesting he seems to have flopped at every job outside Turkey, but done really really well in Turkey. Their Damien Duff maybe?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Interesting he seems to have flopped at every job outside Turkey, but done really really well in Turkey. Their Damien Duff maybe?
    That is a red flag - it shows he knows the local scene but cannot expand beyond that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Yup when he left Blackburn two years ago I was hoping we'd reach out to him. Think it was talked about mid season that he was leaving that summer and Kenny's first contract was up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Slightly different quote in today's Irish Times:

“First and foremost, up until a matter of weeks ago, I myself was air-gapped from the process which I think is testament to how professionally it has been run,” Courell told RTÉ's Morning Ireland.

“It has been a confidential process both internally and externally. But now that I’m in the camp, I’m fully read in and I’m comfortable with the steps and stages which has taken place and confident we will get the best candidate for moving the Irish national team forward and ensure we deliver success.”

What a load of corporate mumbo jumbo. I have to admit "air-gapped" and "read in" are new ones to me.

Only saving grace is that he didn't refer to the process as "mission critical".

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

“First and foremost, up until a matter of weeks ago, I myself was air-gapped from the process which I think is testament to how professionally it has been run,” Courell told RTÉ's Morning Ireland.

“It has been a confidential process both internally and externally. But now that I’m in the camp, I’m fully read in and I’m comfortable with the steps and stages which has taken place and confident we will get the best candidate for moving the Irish national team forward and ensure we deliver success.”

What a load of corporate mumbo jumbo. I have to admit "air-gapped" and "read in" are new ones to me.

Fancy high-falutin bull**** !

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Air gap is from computer security. It refers to a computer that's not on the network, and so is unhackable short of going to the building it's in and physically accessing it. Data is transferred to and from the air gapped computer by humans, who are informally known as the "sneakernet". Of course, in business lingo, it's just bullshirt to mean he was kept in the dark like the rest of us.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts

Only know what air gapped means after watching The Newsroom. Cracking show if anybody hasn't watched it and looking for something to watch. The way things have gone we should be making our own TV series called The FAI.

23. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    That's a quote that could quite easily have been made - in fact, probably was paraphrased in some way or another by someone or other - in Feb when we were already struggling for a manager for March, and it would have been bull**** then, as we've seen. Unfortunately there's no reason to suspect it still isn't bull**** now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    I'm sure he's a lovely guy. Doesn't make me want him as manager though

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Maybe with Jim McGuinness's success with Donegal ( and with his soccer interactions ) ~ ~ The FAI should make an offer to Jim McGuinness.