Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood memories: music

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I had Bosco's album
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Howard Jones - New Song, summer '83 and that fabulous concert that he did in the Butler Community Hall in Waterford..........still talked about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Driving from Dublin to Connemara sometime in the early 1970's (I don't remember the year) and hearing De Danann's version of the Beatles Hey Jude on the radio at least three times during the journey.
    I can't stop, I can't start
    It holds me together while it tears me apart

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    First actual childhood musical memory was hearing Scott and the rest of Walker Brothers doing " The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" , on the radio when we were living in Canada around the age of 4 or 5, which is to this day my all time favourite record.

My mother used to tell me that I got excited in the playpen when I was 18 months old by The Beatles and " She Loves You" don't remember that myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    "The Man Who Sold The World"
    Love that song. Despite being a huge Bowie fan I have to admit, the Nirvana one is best.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Love that song. Despite being a huge Bowie fan I have to admit, the Nirvana one is best.
    I actually like Lulu's version of that song. David Bowie plays Sax on it and produced it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    Been a while since I posted, but music that makes the awl brian cogs reverse back to days of yore......

1/In the Army now - Status Quo
    2/China in your hand - T'pau (I know, I know)
    and when I was very small,
    3/The oldest swinger in town and
    4/Help by the Beatles.

Ok Gerrit..

Track 1/ Was written by Rob and Fredi Bolland who were Dutch. They also had a version of the song out ( predates Quo's). They went on to produce records for other artists including... Rock Me Amadeus for Falco.

2/ Heart and Soul by them is a better song.

3/ Fred Wedlock a one hit wonder

4/ Well most of us have a fab 4 memory or other. I have both Rutles Albums on CD for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    I actually like Lulu's version of that song. David Bowie plays Sax on it and produced it.
    I have it. I agree it's excellent, but like a completley different song to the Nirvana/Bowie one. You can't compare it really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I grew up with the Beatles as well, as my dad is a big fan and played it very often. The only weird thing is, I never liked it. Never got me excited. I still don't get why so many people adore the Beatles... I then ended up adoring a Liverpudlian band in the end, but not the Beatles! Not bad music, but it just doesn't move me.

My first humiliating musical memory was when I wanted to buy "Sadeness part I" from Enigma. I went to a record store for the first time but walked out as the priest on the front cover of the record looked scary I know, shameful that is, but I was a young kid... So because of that scary priest my first record bought myself ended up being a different one: "Abba-esque" by Erasure
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    I grew up with the Beatles as well, as my dad is a big fan and played it very often. The only weird thing is, I never liked it. Never got me excited. I still don't get why so many people adore the Beatles... I then ended up adoring a Liverpudlian band in the end, but not the Beatles! Not bad music, but it just doesn't move me.

My first humiliating musical memory was when I wanted to buy "Sadeness part I" from Enigma. I went to a record store for the first time but walked out as the priest on the front cover of the record looked scary I know, shameful that is, but I was a young kid... So because of that scary priest my first record bought myself ended up being a different one: "Abba-esque" by Erasure
    That Engima record started a whole new genre of music. Nothing to be ashamed of. Some people thing Michael Cretu is a musical innovator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Musical youth, pass da dutchy, I think they all ended up either in jail or dead after a gang war,

Big Tom, Four country roads. Had that playing in the car for three weeks morning noon and fe*king night while over on Holiday about 24 years ago.

Brenden Shine, Catch me if you can me name is Dan sure i'm yer man, pretty much also had too listen to that morning, noon and night.

Green Door, Shakin' Stevens, man was a superstar, nuff said. Even inspired me to have a green door on my house.
    Last edited by sylvo; 27/08/2005 at 7:05 PM.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvo
    Musical youth, pass da dutchy, I think they all ended up either in jail or dead after a gang war,

Big Tom, Four country roads. Had that playing in the car for three weeks morning noon and fe*king night while over on Holiday about 24 years ago.

Brenden Shine, Catch me if you can me name is Dan sure i'm yer man, pretty much also had too listen to that morning, noon and night.

Green Door, Shakin' Stevens, man was a superstar, nuff said. Even inspired me to have a green door on my house.
    MUsical Youth... Dennis come back with my apple pie... he ended up in jail for theft

Good God you have raked up some bad memories there!

Do You Want Your Old Lobby Washed Down ?...

And Gloria and the Mississippi 's " One Day At A Time" sweet Jesus that thing was number 1 in the Irish Charts for almost a year
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 28/08/2005 at 7:49 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra and the likes with my Da and i still listen to them now and again,i like that type of music and film.
    I grew up listening to Abba mainly with my Ma and i hate Abba and anytype of Disco music.
    With my brothers,i grew up listening to Bob Marley and early 90's Rap music which i both still listen to.
    The music which predominantly interests me,which is Classic Rock,Nobody in my house or family listened to or even liked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Ok Gerrit..

Track 1/ Was written by Rob and Fredi Bolland who were Dutch. They also had a version of the song out ( predates Quo's). They went on to produce records for other artists including... Rock Me Amadeus for Falco.

2/ Heart and Soul by them is a better song.

3/ Fred Wedlock a one hit wonder

4/ Well most of us have a fab 4 memory or other. I have both Rutles Albums on CD for example.
    Firstly thank you for taking apart my memories....and secondly its Gareth not Gerrit.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    Firstly thank you for taking apart my memories....and secondly its Gareth not Gerrit.
    Gareth

Ok getting your name wrong was the only error in my posting however

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I Fought the Law by The Bobby Fuller Four: I remember it because my older brother had a gang called the Law who used to rule us younger guys.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    This thread like an episode of "Dr Who"....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Ah, but it's one that deserved to be resurrected.

I grew up in Roscommon in the 80s, so I was exposed to One Day at a Time, The Rose of Castlerea, Four Roads to Glenamaddy - Gloria, Brendan Shine and Big Tom seemed to be the permanent soundtrack in my two uncles' Renault 4s... At home, it was Bob Marley - lots and lots of Bob Marley. Mum grew up in Manchester's Moss Side and most of her friends were Jamaican, so reggae was her big thing that I got into as well.

Buuut, my songs that always bring me back to somewhere warm and fuzzy... The Sawdoctors Red Cortina, The Stunning's Half Past Two, the Bay City Rollers... When I was around 9 or 10, I had a K-Tel compilation album on permanent play, with this possibly explaining why I was particularly uncool for about the next 15 years!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Left of the dial, an excellent documentary on TXFM on the golden age of late night radio in Ireland: http://www.txfm.ie/LISTEN-BACK:-The-...l-Documentary-
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    These ones, in particular, still always bring me back to those impossibly long hot summers of the late '70s in Tramore when they would boom out onto the street from Freddie's amusement arcade's PA on a frequent (but not enough to be annoying) basis.

Last edited by stann; 17/10/2016 at 2:04 PM.
    more bass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast