Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Daryl Murphy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    If Murphy gets called into the squad as some suggest on the basis of one goal ahead of the players who consistently outshone him when he played here I'll finally have lost whatever shred of faith and interest I had in this team.
    Oh yeah that makes sense . Dont support the rest of the players just because hes included ahead of Jayo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema
    Oh yeah that makes sense . Dont support the rest of the players just because hes included ahead of Jayo
    Don't support the rest of the players of a british obsessed team with little or no interest in supporting or developing the local game here whos players don't come onto the radar until they play for the worst team in premiership history and score all of one goal no matter what they do here or in europe, it makes sense to me anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Don't support the rest of the players of a british obsessed team with little or no interest in supporting or developing the local game here whos players don't come onto the radar until they play for the worst team in premiership history and score all of one goal no matter what they do here or in europe, it makes sense to me anyway.
    Slash/ED It makes no sense to me either. Im of the same opinion as you - I think its a disgrace the likes of Weso (when he played here), Danny Murphy, Owen Hearey, Jason Byrne and Mick Devine... dont get a chance to play for Ireland and suddenly Murphy is now good enough because he scored one goal for Sunderland but unfortunatly thats the way it is and I'll still support MY country regardless

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag
    Well Sunderland play Blackburn tonight so hopefully Murphy gets longer than fifteen minutes and prove's that he is not a one hit wonder.

Your wish has been granted, he got 16 minutes
    Obviously Mick has been following this thread and values your opinion
    They lost 2:0 btw so obviously he didn't score.

It's nice to have another possible option up front though,
    Obviously you can't read too much into 1 goal, but he is 6'3, and 12'12"
    a bit bigger than most of our other options I would imagine.
    1 goal in 189 minutes for Sunderland, if he did that consistantly
    he would be their top striker (and possibly top premiership striker!!).
    Obviously you can't read anything into such sparce stats but I did like
    the way he turned what looked like a nothing situation into a goal, (we
    could do with that from time to time!!).
    I'm not saying he should be in the squad, just another player to keep
    an eye on, and at 6'3" it shouldn't be too hard to spot the big f***er

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think it's pretty obvious our top 4 forward options are Keane, Doyle, Elliott & Morrisson. Putting Elliott's injury aside, only Morrisson is on a backward trend at club level. They can all hold the ball up well but none is particularly tall. Any squad should have at least the option of a tall striker in my opinion, and the only two that spring to mind are Lee & Murphy, and if Staunton is to build for the future Murphy's call up could be justified. It's nothing whatsoever to do with one goal in England making him better than any eL option.

I know there are others who'd advocate Jason Byrne ahead of him but are you comparing like with like? Of the tall forward options available from domestic football, Ward at Bohs looks more like an alternative to Lee or Murphy and I think he should be involved with the U21s if he's still eligible.

Trundle's obviously in with a shout but he's a different type of player altogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jason Byrne is no midget, he'd certainly be taller than Keane or Doyle and has played up front on his own to great effect numerous times. He is also very, very good in the air, he could easily fill that roll for Ireland, you don't need to be Quinns size to do it nor do you need a striker who is tall just for the sake of him being tall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Jason Byrne is no midget, he'd certainly be taller than Keane or Doyle and has played up front on his own to great effect numerous times. He is also very, very good in the air, he could easily fill that roll for Ireland, you don't need to be Quinns size to do it nor do you need a striker who is tall just for the sake of him being tall.
    indeed, but you need somebody better than jason byrne at international level!!! cant even believe his name is being mentioned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Murphy better start the next match,Kyle and Stead have been poor.Kyle wasted an opportunity in which he should have scored and Murphy set up Lawrance with a great cross which he wasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    indeed, but you need somebody better than jason byrne at international level!!! cant even believe his name is being mentioned
    He has'nt been given a chance.Were not spoilt with strikers Byrne is big,strong,better than Robbie,Doyle and Morrison in the air and a GOALSCORER.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorge
    He has'nt been given a chance.Were not spoilt with strikers Byrne is big,strong,better than Robbie,Doyle and Morrison in the air and a GOALSCORER.
    how many does he score with his head? Robbie is weak in the air, but that's due to his size
    to say he's better than those 3 is simply outrageous, even if he was, there is no way he is going to get into the squad at the moment as he is out of season and not fit for a league game, let alone international
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and you have seen him play how often?

he may not be as techically gifted as keane or doyle but he has consistently scored goals against all opposition he has been up against domestically and in europe for 4 odd years now.

and a cocky ***** as well.

livehead, your condascending attitude and ignorance of irish football has shone on many occasions, so name me 1 other eligible player who has scored more european goals?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    indeed, but you need somebody better than kevin doyle at international level!!! cant even believe his name is being mentioned
    That would be you this time last year in the same thread, have no doubt about it.

Ad for your need better than Byrne remarks, all I'll say is, thank the good lord we've been blessed with international class strikers like doherty, macken and murphy instead.

And Byrne is definitely better than those three players in the air, no question about it whatsoever. Doesn't make him a better player, he's obviously not better than Keane it goes without saying, but he's better in the air and gets a fair few headed goals every season.

Put simply, this time last year, in the same league, Jason Byrne was a better striker than the man everyone seems to think will be our next first choice striker (And a month ago turned down an offer 4 times the one for that striker to goto the Swedish champions), and you're writeing him off? Sheer stupidity especially given our options, if he isn't given a proper chance over 2006 Staunton is a very short sighted man who will find he's very very short of options up front if hit by a few injuries and goes throwing on the likes of Doherty again.
    Last edited by Slash/ED; 16/02/2006 at 9:38 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Jason Byrne would be in list of international forwards but not in top 4 or 5. Maybe 6-7th.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    how many does he score with his head? Robbie is weak in the air, but that's due to his size
    to say he's better than those 3 is simply outrageous, even if he was, there is no way he is going to get into the squad at the moment as he is out of season and not fit for a league game, let alone international
    better than Robbie,Doyle and Morrison in the air

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Daryl Murphy

i could only find his thread in waterford so posted new one here in honour of his great goal yesterday

a great bit of individual skill to flick the ball over two defenders, control on chest and volley home with aplomb. though this magical post on a sunderland board contextualizes it a bit; 'Putting the ball over their heads and sending them flying in the wrong direction is a bit like pretending to throw a stick for the dog then keeping hold of it' - in reference to gary breen and his partner! keane said afterwards murphy has great talent. he seems fond of his stepovers alright from what i've seen. isnt much between keogh and him

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is there a link for it?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and to think we sold him for 100 grand just to pay off our ex chairman (gerry o brien)
    what a rip off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Last edited by gustavo; 09/04/2007 at 5:24 PM. Reason: putting up youtube tags
    Children in the dark cause accidents.
    Accidents in the dark cause children.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Daryl Murphy turning into a top player

Murphy gets better and better evertime I see him play. Looks like hes not bothered sometimes but this guy has real class. Scores his fair share of goals. And has excellent tecnique. Rarely wastes the ball and was the best player on the park for Sunderland yesterday in a crucial game for them. I was wondering why both Quinn and Keane rate him so highly. Had seen him play last year and thought he was too slow and prone to giving the ball away cheaply. But he just keeps on improving. Great to see. This current Irish squad with Colin Doyle coming through just keeps getting better and better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Yeah you could see it when he was with Waterford too, just nobody watched....

Will be interesting to see how he does in the Premiership.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast