Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Daryl Murphy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod
    Don't quite get your point. I'm not one to slag our league, but isn't he playing in the English premiership because he was seen to be too good for our league.
    He was far from too good for our league. If he was still here he'd be a top player in the league but not in the top 5. Kevin Doyle was too good for our league and now he's proving it abroad, Daryl still has to prove himself in England.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcarr
    He was far from too good for our league. If he was still here he'd be a top player in the league but not in the top 5. Kevin Doyle was too good for our league and now he's proving it abroad, Daryl still has to prove himself in England.
    I don't disagree with you and never said he was too good for our league myself, however I was responding to NY hoop's "2 fingers" comments. I really don't think what Daryl does at Sunderland says anything at all about our league. If he was playing for Waterford and scoring against Sunderland... that would say something about our league.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod
    I don't disagree with you and never said he was too good for our league myself, however I was responding to NY hoop's "2 fingers" comments. I really don't think what Daryl does at Sunderland says anything at all about our league. If he was playing for Waterford and scoring against Sunderland... that would say something about our league.
    What? Scoring for Waterford against Sunderland in a friendly wouldnt prove anything.

Daryl is playing in one of the best leagues in the world and its great to see a player from our league, hopefully, making it.

Barstoolers slag off our league and therefore our players. I dont see the confusion.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was watching the spurs game from the comfort of my couch much more comfortable than a barstool to be honest. Good goal by Murphy though. I thought Keanes movement was top class also.
    In Trap we trust

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    Another 2 fingers to the ****s who slag our league from the barstools.KOH
    Isn't it true that the Irish that don't make it in the UK come back to the Eircom League while most of those that can play at a higher level go across the water. Sad but true so there's no point in comparing the EL with English football.

There is no doubt that many EL League players have made it in the UK but there still wouldn't be a huge amount that have made the transition. From the 70s I remember Gerry Daly and Mick Martin (Paddy Roche sort of made it and then imploded). Paul McGrath in the 1980s. Who else as a matter of interest has successfully made the transition (too lazy to think).

p.s. I am not a barstooler.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 13/02/2006 at 4:27 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Now that you're here Owlsfan, how bad was Leon Best on Saturday? And why no Whelan? Dropped, injured or suspended?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    Barstoolers slag off our league and therefore our players. I dont see the confusion.
    yes, but they also slag off sunderland and their players (perhaps more so than players in our league).

its not exactly a badge of honour to be a current sunderland player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    because Murphy scored a goal against Spurs its stands to reason that he should be the next Irish international manager in my book

we couldn't do much worse

boom boom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    because Murphy scored a goal against Spurs its stands to reason that he should be the next Irish international manager in my book

we couldn't do much worse

boom boom!
    boom boom, war gwon wit dem ting....indeed

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinR
    yes, but they also slag off sunderland and their players (perhaps more so than players in our league).

its not exactly a badge of honour to be a current sunderland player
    very true ... elliott probably gonna get 15mins for reserves tonight be great to see him back ..

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Now that you're here Owlsfan, how bad was Leon Best on Saturday? And why no Whelan? Dropped, injured or suspended?
    Didn't see the game. Whelan was suspended. Should be back tomorrow for the game against Coventry. Best came on as a sub and was lively by all acounts although he did have a 1 on 1 with the keeper and missed

Were you at the Millwall game ? What did you think of the goal
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    pity that an eircom league player has to go abroad and score one goal in a game after coming on as a sub to have been seen to have "made it"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Were you at the Millwall game ? What did you think of the goal
    Missed it in the end. was off work sick with bronchitis & decided not to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Murphy gets called into the squad as some suggest on the basis of one goal ahead of the players who consistently outshone him when he played here I'll finally have lost whatever shred of faith and interest I had in this team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    If Murphy gets called into the squad as some suggest on the basis of one goal ahead of the players who consistently outshone him when he played here I'll finally have lost whatever shred of faith and interest I had in this team.
    Sure the Indo was suggesting today he had now put himself in the window for international callup.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Surely the likes of Doyle, Morrison, Lee, O’Brien (McGeady & Elliot if fit) and even Foran are miles ahead of him in the pecking order.

.....of course hope things change and he makes a compelling case!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Does scoring a goal in the Premiership meet the criteria to be an Irish international these days?? If so, we ought to be laughing at ourselves.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    [QUOTE= The FAI's love for all things English is just so embarrassing.[/QUOTE]

Agree with the sentiments expressed re-Murphy - but can't see the above at all. Have the FAI been calling for Murphys call up?

Also the last three managers they have appointed have been Irish, when agruably there have been better qualified candidates from abroad inc. England - especially in the case of Kerr & Staunton.

Additionally we have recently seen a policy where the pursuit of 2nd and 3rd generation Irish players has been deemed undesirable - particularly at underage levels. The threads on this forum suggest the legacy that has been left in terms of playing talent is not viewed too highly.

Does not suggest to me an FAI love of all things English.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball
    . As I pointed out they have a story on their website entitled 'Daryl Murphy leads the charge for a place against Sweden'. .
    I agree, you are correct - it was a stupid headline for them to put on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball
    . Kerr had no association with the English Premiership so, it seems, Delaney did not respect him..
    I think in the final analysis the team which played in the last few qualifiers lacked self belief and really never looked confident in qualifying, supplemented with some poor substitute decisions. Even Duff (a Kerr advocate) has spoken about the lack of team spirit when compared with Chelsea. OK we did not have the greatest talent available but the manager has to take responsibility for team spirit.

My feeling is that Kerr was fairly judged on results - at times it was almost back to talking about gallant failure.

I agree that we should be looking at the players you mention & certainly don't advocate "begging" foreigners to play for us - God knows we can do without the: he qualifies cos he drank a pint of guinness jokes.

However there is a difference in turning a blind eye to players open to playing for Ireland and making an embarassing plea to those uninterested. There is a balance to be had. Obviously the jury is out on Staunton and we need to judge him on the resuts & the quality of the team he puts together. I'm saying (a bit like Jack) that Kerr has not left Stan the easiest task and that it is perhaps only over the next few years that the team will pay the cost of Kerrs approach.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well Sunderland play Blackburn tonight so hopefully Murphy gets longer than fifteen minutes and prove's that he is not a one hit wonder.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast