Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brasileiro (Brazilian Championship)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just looking at the table:
    http://www.soccerway.com/national/brazil/first

Vasco, Flamengo and Sao Paulo all down the bottom. They're the 3 most recognised teams to me.

And only 4 teams have scored more than Vasco. They still have Romario though. Junior Baiano must be getting on if they're conceding 47 goals.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 07/08/2005 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Just found out on Friday that I may have to go to Sao Paulo in October on business. Is the season still on then? If so, I'll have to get to a game there.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    How is Romario doing? I cannot believe the man's sheer durability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reply to why I don't like them:

I don't like big teams. Yes, you can say success has the opposite effect on me than something turning me on. I dislike the atmosphere of the big top teams. "We always have to win, we're better than the rest, we must win trophies every time, we look down on small amateur teams". I don't like that. Professional football is making me very sick sometimes, and always it's because of the "always wanting more" mentality of dominant influent teams. Which is why I cannot support or even like teams such as Barcelona, Madrid (hate them !!) and Juventus.

I prefer the friendly amateur atmosphere. I think I mentionned several times before since I joined this forum, that I prefer the Luxembourg league over the Spanish, that I would support the Cook Islands anytime when they play Brazil.

I just don't like the atmosphere at big clubs. That's also what I like about the EL. The day the clubs grow as big as English first division teams and get 15000 spectators every week, I'd probably leave it and turn into LSL football. Amateur over professional anytime for me, minnow over top team.

Brazil represents everything that I dislike about the big teams. I just dislike them. Just the football. I have nothing against Brazil as a country or their people. I just hate their football team (even though my favourites Norway beat them 2 times out of 3 in the last 15 years ! )

PS: don't start about Rosenborg now... We're still a small team in Europe and dominated a league not really notorious for its big stars...

PS 2: there are exceptions. I have a soft spot for Argentina somehow. I do support Norway if it'd be NOR-ARG and I'd also support Luxembourg of San Marino or so against ARG. But I do prefer ARG over the other big ones.

PS 3: hating succesful teams is a bit stupid maybe, but I do feel it's better that way than if I'd have been gloryhunting and jump on the Brazilian bandwagon
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    How is Romario doing? I cannot believe the man's sheer durability.
    Vasco have got a new coach and he wants to build the team around Romario. He's the captain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Well Gerrit we all draw different things out of the game. Some enjoy the pure emotion of winning. Some enjoy the style of play above the result. Others enjoy the chess like tactical battles in places like the Serie A. Some like it from their armchair and some like to be on the crumbling terraces on a cold dark damp December evening. We don't need to justify ourselves. I must say though, your approach to the game is as unique as I have seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Vasco have got a new coach and he wants to build the team around Romario. He's the captain.
    I thought I read something bizarre like he was leaving at the end of the season to join Socrates' English non-league side. Delighted to see the aul fella will keep going. Even into his late 30's he has a bizarre knack of finding the net prolificly without even training though I read a while back he was doing poor this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Wasn't he at Fluminense? I thought he was going to retire as well. What's he now? 38 or 39??
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    Just found out on Friday that I may have to go to Sao Paulo in October on business. Is the season still on then? If so, I'll have to get to a game there.
    You lucky sod!! The Brasileiro doesn't finish until December 4th. Sao Paulo play 3 games at home during October:

8th v. Ponte Preta
    23rd v. Santos
    26th v. Brasiliense

Of course if you'd rather watch that other team from that city (Corinthians ) they play the following matches at home in October:

2nd v. Brasiliense
    8th v. Fortaleza
    23rd v. Parana
    30th v. Vasco da Gama
    If you don't like John 3:7...
    There's always Limerick 37!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    Reply to why I don't like them:

I don't like big teams. Yes, you can say success has the opposite effect on me than something turning me on. I dislike the atmosphere of the big top teams. "We always have to win, we're better than the rest, we must win trophies every time, we look down on small amateur teams". I don't like that. Professional football is making me very sick sometimes, and always it's because of the "always wanting more" mentality of dominant influent teams.
    Funny that you feel that way and you support a fully professional team like Shelbourne which are probably the richest club in the league at the moment. (I'm open to correction on this but I don't know any other club that has more funds.) Also I have no doubt whatsoever that Shelbourne do want more success and would love to dominate Irish football for years. Therefore I think you'd do better following another team.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Do you know what that makes you then Éanna................?

.......a barstooler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Live on Channel 425 this Sunday

Ponte Preta take on Corinthians this week and the game is live on Channel 425. KO 8pm approx. Ponte are on a slide having lost their last 3 games while leaders Corinthians have only won 1 of their last 4 matches. It's very close at the top with only 3 points separating the top 7 teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Watch Javier Macherano=Quality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Blue
    Funny that you feel that way and you support a fully professional team like Shelbourne which are probably the richest club in the league at the moment. (I'm open to correction on this but I don't know any other club that has more funds.) Also I have no doubt whatsoever that Shelbourne do want more success and would love to dominate Irish football for years. Therefore I think you'd do better following another team.
    Well, in Ireland there are no real big teams, are there? Shels have maximum 1000 lads in the ground if they play Harps on a Monday evening.

And I'm also one of the only people at Shels who prefers to stay it the way it is. I personally would hate it if the EL would grow to be like the EPL or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Well Gerrit we all draw different things out of the game. Some enjoy the pure emotion of winning. Some enjoy the style of play above the result. Others enjoy the chess like tactical battles in places like the Serie A. Some like it from their armchair and some like to be on the crumbling terraces on a cold dark damp December evening. We don't need to justify ourselves. I must say though, your approach to the game is as unique as I have seen.
    Thanks, I usually get less friendly answers to my opinion Not that I really care, after all my opinion is as wrong or right as everyone else's, therefor it is an OPINION (= no one single exact truth possible)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last weekend

Corinthians go 2 points clear at the top with a 5-3 win away to Ponte Preta. Parana and Goias move into joint second with victories over Cruzeiro and Flamengo. Sao Paulo win for the first time in 9 matches to move out of relegation zone as Flamengo drop down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Imteresting article on the Brasileiro here
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    Imteresting article on the Brasileiro here
    It's an interesting article all right. The thing is, is that there are a few things not mentioned in the piece which might explain the make up of the season and the time it starts and ends. Before the national championship started in Brazil only regional championships existed. These still do today, and are played at the start of the calender year. It means less time for the national championship to be included within the year, which means several midweek games for clubs and travelling all over the massive country of Brazil. I don't see what the problem with the timing of the league is. The majority of Brazil is in the southern hemisphere so their seasons are different. Also several other countries, even in Europe, play their season from spring to winter, like the Scandinavians, east Europeans and ..... o yes....Ireland. The main problem with Sao Paulo was that they concentrated on the Copa Libertadores so they played many reserve players for the Brasileiro. It seems to be costing them now, but with the huge number of matches they have to play in a season, you can't expect them to be close to winning everything. They have already won the Paulista Championship as well as the Libertadores, so to be up at the top of the Brasileiro would have been quiet some achievement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    That chap lives there and he does an article every week. I know all about the state championships and it's a pretty big country. How many teams are in it this year 16 or 22?
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    That chap lives there and he does an article every week. I know all about the state championships and it's a pretty big country. How many teams are in it this year 16 or 22?
    There are 22 teams in the Brasileiro (42 games) and 20 teams played in the Paulista Championship this year (19 games). I don't follow the other state championships so I'm not sure how many are in each of those, just that there are 27 state championships in total.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast